1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL coaching carousel...2008

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by the futants, Dec 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Dick Jauron should get the boot. How do you start 5-0 then finish 7-9?

Jauron, Wade, Herm and possibly Zorn should all be next.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I haven't seen this reported anywhere.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree with most of those, except Zorn, who is a rookie head coach and finished 8-8, which is definitely not a horrible record in a very tough division.

I think he has (or should have) some leeway, unlike the others who have been bad for multiple seasons or been very disappointing.

4. Landlord Landry

you saw it here first. I predicted it. go me. :cool:

5. Landlord Landry

maybe Gruden should take a hike as well?

6. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Presser in an hour...

7. juicystream

I see...

You had me convinced. All those close games they lost this year. I feel they were better than a 2-14 team.

8. Landlord Landry

nah, presser in about a month, when they find a new GM. But that was way harsh..... ;)

9. Landlord Landry

true, but alot of those close games came after the season was lost and Gailey went to the spread offense with Thigpen.

I think Herm is gone because whoever the new GM is, he will want to bring in his guy(s) and Herm isn't exactly thought of around the leauge as a genius.

Gunther is gone because of obvious reasons, KC's defense has been a laughing stock for a long time....and Gunther has been the D-coordinator for most of that stretch.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Mangini being fired seems like a bad knee jerk reaction. (Unless it was his decision to dump Pennington for Favre.)

I'd be surprised if 2 of these 3 still have their jobs at the start of the season: Lewis, Wade, Edwards. (in that order)

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wade and Jason Garrett should be fired.

It will be a shame if Jason Garrett gets promoted to Head Coach.

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Add Shanahan for the same reason. Both won't since they have basic immunity in their respective cities.

Herm's had horrible luck with injuries, but I'd give him another year. Another slow start and he's out mid year. He knows it. Del Rio is in the same situation.

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Neither is happening.

14. Landlord Landry

horrible injury luck? for 7 years?

and if you think he is gone after another slow start, then he should just pack his bags now. Herman Edwards has never started a season better than 2-2. His last 3 were 0-2.

15. juicystream

He has made the playoffs 4 times, so it isn't like he has had zero success over those years. He has either made the playoffs or his team has been horrible.

16. Landlord Landry

okay, look I didn't follow him at all when he was in NY, but he didn't take KC to the playoffs in 06, He took what was left of Dickey V's team, totally misused the talent he had all season long, and snuck into the playoffs on the account of an unreal scenario where I believe 3 teams fell on their face in the final week of the season.....it couldn't have been more obvious when Indy embarrassed KC in the wild card game, that he isn't an NFL calibur head coach.

I guess losing 19 out of 21 is just bad luck though. Do you remember when NOBODY wanted to play at Arrowhead? yeah, 1-7 this year including losing to the effin Raiders last year. It's not injuries, it's horrible logic that Run,Run,Pass,Punt will win you ball games on a consistent basis.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Firing a 1st year coach is very Raiders-like and I think you're actually setting your club back unless you have an elite coach as a replacement. Jauron and Zorn should both be back, I agree that Herm needs to go. Also, Wade isn't the right coach for the Cowboys, but then again, it's gonna be hard to find the right coach with JJ at the helm of everything.

The Jets firing Mangini is just plain dumb.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

He's not held responsible. Mangini is a decent X's and O's coach, but the way he handles his players off the field is below average.

Some players just didn't like playing for him, and we're talking about big time players for the franchise. Vilma and Abraham are just a couple names that did not see eye to eye with Man Genius. Then, you've got the whole Coles vs Favre sideshow that went on for pretty much the whole season. I know coach can't control that, but at some point, there had to be a meeting.

I even remember a commercial he did that basically made fun of how poorly the Jets play. I'm sure that didn't sit well with some of his players.

He's a decent coach, but you also have to have some sort of people skills here.

Also, on the Pennington move, it was a good move. Pennington had been injured for a few years in a row, and he was not productive. Favre had one of his most productive seasons. It was a NO BRAINER to get Favre.

However, the REAL problem with the Jets organization is their front office. Players have left solely because of the front office. It really feels like all they're trying to do is sell tickets...not win a championship.

Oh well, go Texans

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks. This is what I suspected. I figured it had to be something that us non-Jets fans wouldn't be aware of because the pure results on the field don't argue for firing him. IMO, it's going to be very tough for the new coach and the Jets could take a big step backward.

20. Major

Major Member

Possible explanation for Mangini...

The fine folks at FOX have asked me to throw myself into Favre mode once again and break down what the evidence points to. Favre earlier in the week indicated he would address his future possibly next week, but admitted his shoulder will play a role in his decision-making process. However, his shoulder is just one of the reasons most of those polled on the Jets believe this really is finally it for Favre.

The other reason? Happiness, or lack thereof. According to several people close to Favre, the legendary quarterback has not enjoyed many aspects of playing for the tough Eric Mangini. According to the sources, there are several areas that have not sat well with Favre including team meetings, quizzes and getting called on the carpet for his decision-making on the field.

Is this Brett Favre's last hurrah? (Otto Greule Jr / Getty Images)

Let's explain.

Favre, who long had a great relationship with head coaches in Green Bay, was rarely called on the carpet with the Packers, especially in front of the team. With the Jets, however, the sources say that Favre has been called to what they dub "the principal's office" and grilled about making bad throws that turned into interceptions. Those same sources say this is not just done in private. Mangini will also grill Favre about his throws in front of the team, just like everybody else.

Of course, Favre deserves to be questioned for some of his decisions, given that he led the league in interceptions (by a wide margin, too).