1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Save Your Money...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Dec 27, 2008.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There are deals on the way... according to this, 25% of all major retailers have a chance of filing for bankruptcy soon.

Here's a chart from another article that makes the same point...

[​IMG]

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Magic Jack -- I was wrong.

3. updawg

updawg Member

I was hoping for a sale of snuggies.

damn

4. Fatty FatBastard

Really?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hJxNKrIo_Kg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hJxNKrIo_Kg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I was at Pac Sun the other day. Nearly everything was 50-70% off. It was fabulous!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you got gift cards, use 'em quick.

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Good point. Anybody know where the nearest Mervyn's is?

8. Asian Sensation

Translation: More job losses. Kinda hard to save money when you don't make money.

So lets say that the 73,000 stores do close in the first half of 2009 as the article suggests. Just to see the impact lets say each store has 10 people working there. That's 730,000 more people added to the unemployed sector. Keep in mind most of the people that work in retail/service probably worked in that segment there whole lives. You can't really count the college kids that come home for break and work for extra money. The point is it will be difficult for these people to get new jobs with limited skills, increased competition from others in the job market but more importantly the scarcity of retail/service positions steadily available. I used retail/service jobs as an example because that's what the article is stating but the bigger point is this is going to effect EVERYONE in one way or another.

No job= no money= can't pay for **** = eviction/foreclosure=mental stress= loss of self esteem= DEPRESSION.

Everybody should be thankful for what they have. We need help bad. I'm interested in seeing what kinda changes are in store with Obama.

9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i agree. everyone saving their money is what has halted the economy even further. i blame mostly the media for this, scaring people into not buying. whats the point of having great sales when there is no money to buy it with.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody is spending money but you have to kill yourself for Wii Fit.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A self fulfilling prophecy, thanks to the media.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're right phil gramm :confused:

seriously ima, this isn't a snarky comment, but as someone who preaches personal responsibility I would think you would realize that consumer credit can't prop our economy up much longer.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

More taxes on top of the mess. Change, indeed