1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets not as good as Lakers at this point of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by code_red, Dec 25, 2008.

1. code_red

code_red Member

I think if we get anywhere in the playoffs, we will eventually meet the Lakers, assuming the Lakers have a healthy roster and no injuries in the playoffs. Looking back at our game against the Lakers on November 9th, we almost lost by 30 points and we were completely outclassed by them. Here are the potential matchups if we face the Lakers:

Yao > Bynum
    Gasol > Scola
    Kobe > TMac

I think Artest's advantage is neutralized by Odom, and arguably, Fisher is a better PG than Alston. That leaves Battier and Battier is a defensive advantage for the Rockets.

Here are the Pros and Cons vs the Lakers:

Cons:

- If Yao is taken out of the game, the Lakers make the Rockets look like midgets. Against the Lakers on November 9th, the Lakers went on huge runs when Yao was taken out, as Scola and Landry couldn't stop Gasol and Bynum. This is our biggest weakness against them.

- While we get a huge defensive boost when Artest come off the bench, that is neutralized by the offensive boost when Odom comes off the bench for the Lakers

- The Lakers simply are the BETTER OFFENSIVE team against us. That is not surprising as the Lakers lead the league in PPG at 107 PPG.

- The Lakers are lead by Kobe and Phil, who have experience winning the NBA championship. None of our core players have won an NBA championship and Adelman has not coached a championship team before.

Pros:

- Defense, defense, defense. The only way the Rockets are going to beat the Lakers is if we play lock down defense. We will still have to play our best offense against them, but there is no doubt our offense will bog down against them and we have to play lock down defense during times when our offense isn't running well.

- Yao needs to dominate the inside. That will be tougher though with Bynum and Gasol able to double team him.

If the NBA season ended today, I don't think we could beat the Lakers. Fortunately, we still have more than half a season for the team to gel, so here is our upside:

Upside:

- Artest needs to gel with the team better. Rick Adelman has to find a way to maximize Artest's integration with the team

- Landry and Brooks have another half a season to get better. They can make the difference for us if they play at an entirely higher level by the playoffs

- While TMac is a better passer and playmaker now, if TMac can regain his scoring form from his Orlando days, that will be a big boost to us during the playoffs. Ditto for Artest during Sacramento's playoff successes when Artest was playing at his best.

I'm hoping by the end of the season, we really gel as a better team and take it a step up. We have alot of "potential," but whether we can realize this potential is a different matter.

2. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Getting a solid tall backup for yao would fix a lot of our problems

3. djimi

djimi Member

this is where, signing Deke is so vital, we need his defense to contain Gasol/Bynum, defense wins Championships.

4. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Good post and agree with you.

First of all, we need a backup PF-C, preferably who can defend Pau and cut his insultant confidence against us.

Then, we need Tracy, the Tracys level of past playoffs could be enough, thats a pretty high level. But if Kobe dominates Tracy, we have nothing to do, he must be in a good physical/mental condition. He must be a superstar, not a good player who helps his teams but the leader.

If all that happens we can go to the finals, but are not easy requirements.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Bynum blows. I'm totally embarrassed for arguing he was near Yao's level earlier on in the year.

6. 1individual

1individual Member

Artest is way better than Odom, I don't know why you think Odom gives an offensive boost to the Lakers off the bench when he clearly is one of their main obstacles. The game today against Boston was decent but it took Gasol to wake up for them to handle out the Celtics.

Artest > Odom
    T-Mac (Post season) = Kobe
    Yao > Gasol + Bynum

We just need Deke to come in and assist Yao if he gets into foul trouble or other cases. :)

7. bringonthe3s

bringonthe3s Member

Watching the Boston-LA game, I saw that even though those two teams were grinding it out. The speed of the players individually is really good. Lakers also have the length advantage over our players.

I think Coach Rick should really put conditioning and running as a priority with the remainder of the first half of the season which needs to start with TMac. Its not the explosiveness that he needs to regain its his ability to just keep on running and maintaining a very high pace during a game. Shane, Ron and Yao should be next in the list because they are vital pieces in both defense and offense.

I'm sad to see our bench players have more speed and quickness than our rotation players but do not have the skills to stay on the court. I hope the coaching staff looks into this.

I also think that aside from acquiring Mutombo, we should get an available big via trade or free agency, that will have the length and decent foot speed to run after perimeter players during defensive sequences. Pau Gasol's block on Allen in the game really shows the versatility of the Lakers lineup.

I still believe in this team, TMac, Yao and Ron. But everybody needs to step it up with the remainder of the season, starting with the coaching staff, players, Daryl Morey, and Owner Les Alexander.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

IF we sign Mutombo that would take us over the top. I think Barry would show up big for us in the playoffs and do everything we expected Luther Head to do. Brooks is vital. Rockets vs Lakers would be a great series come playoff time.

9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Over the top? No, I don't think so. However, re-signing Dikembe will help our interior defense and rebounding TREMENDOUSLY, especially against the elite teams which have a bevy of length and bigs (ie the Lakers, the Celtics, and the Cavs).

In regards to Barry, he has recently shown that he has regained his shooting touch, making him very important in the long run. But one thing that Head can do better than Barry is he is quicker, more athletic, and a better defender. Barry is just so damn old and slow that teams look to exploit him defensively when he is on the floor. Can you imagine Barry trying to keep up with Ariza, Tony Allen, or Delonte West/Boobie Gibson? It would be straight up murder.

And we cannot expect the Lakers, Celtics, and Cavs to stay the same come playoff time. As we gel, the other teams will gel. Watching today's Boston-LA game, LA still has not figured out a way to effectively utilize Bynum on the offensive end. He was literally wide open every time he rolled, it was a shame Kobe never looked his way. The Lakers are the DEEPEST and most TALENTED team in the NBA. They have the most upside of all the elite teams.

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

McCain has a better chance of becoming president then that happening... :rolleyes:

11. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I think that even if the Rockets do sign Deke, their front line is still overmatched by the Lakers' front line IMO.

12. max14

max14 Member

13. blender

blender Member

At this point, the Lakers are healthier and have played together longer. But there is still a lot of games left in the season.

If/when the Rockets are healthy and have had time to develop the needed chemistry, they have enough to beat the Lakers, IMO.

The question is will we get to that point in time.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

McGrady will NEVER score like his Orlando days again. His Orlando days performance were amazing for a young player, and is hard to replicate even for a player like Lebron.

That being said, he is indeed a better passer, and should remain this way and not jack up tons of shots.

15. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

We can beat them, but it won't be easy. Our 2nd unit completely blows LA out of the water. As long as Battier and Artest can force Kobe to put up bad shots, Houston can win in 6.

16. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Deke CAN'T defend Pau Gasol...that's a joke. At best he can defend Bynum for a few minutes. We need a younger more athletic solution as Yao's backup.

17. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Agreed. Mutumbo is only of value again traditional plodding centers like Shaq, Eddy Curry and...Yao.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bynum is overrated. IMO, of the two players missing from last year, Ariza has more of an impact than Bynum does. If Gasol is on his game then Bynum is mostly an insurance policy.

19. joesr

joesr Member

You mentioned defense and a strong point. I hope that defense shows up cause it hasnt lately.

20. Ready

Ready Member

who would or should guard Kobe?

T
    Shane
    Artest

???