1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy at Lakers-Celtics Tip-Off:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ready, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Ready

Ready Member

Houston will beat the lakers in the Western Conference Playoffs!

2. dcfma

dcfma Contributing Member

Go Jeff. I agree! (barring injuries).

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I love JVG's comments. Maybe sometimes he overrates Rockets, but really, they will be healthly and they are way better than 19-10. Tracy, Artest will be better.

If only they stay healthly, they sky is the limit.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

u got to. we stayed close to the cavs after 4 games in 5 nights with simply our role players.

tracy was a non-factor, battier was a non-factor, yao was somewhat of a non-factor b/c of the fouls (he was 3-10 anyways), ron was 5-14...

and the cavs played their best.

we barely lost to a motivated celtics team earlier this yr when nothing went our way.

we still have a long ways to go, but if we're progressing like we should, i won't be surprised (though it will be tough)

5. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I really miss JVG. I love this guy as an announcer : )

6. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

JVG: I have street cred

Hilarious guy

7. conquistador#11

"Not all of us are as hardcore as JVG"- the dood from Spanglish-

8. ice_berg_slim

ice_berg_slim Member

I just heard JVG say that the 4 teams that are likely to win it all this year are the Lakers, Cavs, Celtics, and the ROCKETS. Of course I am pleased with this statement, but it just sucks that he seems to be one of the few analysts that actually feel this way. Mark Jackson just seems to scoff at his statements.

For any matter, I think I now have a man crush on JVG.

9. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

The refs and Stern will not allow us to get past the first round. They'll let Yao get beat up all day and not blow any whistles.

10. MD_in_Training

The truth of the matter is, if McGrady plays like the Half-man Half-dead he is now, we can't touch the Lakers or the Celtics. We need all of our Big 3 to topple those two teams.

11. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

I think JVG knows Tmac's personality and he is counting on him turning it up in the postseason

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Agreed with the previous poster. People underestimate the power of T-Mac's ON/OFF switch in the presence of other stars. Add Yao to our team last year and we're already in the Western Conference Finals. Add Ron AND Yao AND an improved Brooks to the team last year and you have legit championship contenders. That the media gives us no credence whatsoever makes it all the sweeter when we win. But yes the adverse effect is: no media at your jock, no refs at your jock.

13. djimi

djimi Member

Yeah its half time now and just before half time when they were talking about the top elite teams in the NBA, they mentioned Boston, Lakers and Cavs but towards the end JVG mentioned Houston have a chance of winning it as well. Good to see our ex-coach have confidence in our team not like some of those pessimistic fans we have here. Lakers bench may be deep but hey, so is ours.

anyway, this is the one and only time im hoping Lakers will win a game so that the damn Celts dont get that streak!!

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder if Mark Jackson knows that the only reason ABC keeps him around is so that he can get owned time and time again by JVG (and provide serious entertainment in doing so).

On a more serious note... I would have to think that JVG could handle the T-mac situation better. He likely would bench him or force him to sit out until he saw the neccessary passion/desire that is needed to win games.

He also would have been fined $25,000 by the league after seeing what the refs did to Yao the last game.

Adelman is a nice coach... pretty good evaluator of talent... and has superior in-game management. However, I do question how much he has left in the tank in terms of going all out for this team to win it all. He was definitely more driven in the Sac-to days.

15. Ready

Ready Member

I believe this statement 100%

and the closer t-mac is to a 100% health

then the effect is exponential.

16. xouterheavenx

xouterheavenx Member

and the 22 game win streak lives on.
    :)

17. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

He's right.

If we get out of the first round.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

people do not need to worry about tracy. he will play his game in the postseason.

i just wish he gets healthier so we can go on a roll and get a great seed. i'm not worried what tracy will show up in the playoffs. you'll see the same guys you always see in every playoffs.

19. Crush

Crush Rookie

Ha, I loved that he sneaked that in there. i was about to make a thread about this myself but my member privileges got revoked

Glad we got some media exposure around

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

homerism