1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMAC told RA that he was sore in the Cavaliers game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jon, Dec 24, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who do you think plays with more heart, and passion, Ron, or Tmac?

DD

2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I think TMAC took the night off because he did not want to be overshadowed by LBJ. He knows LBJ is better, so he used his convenient knee excuse as the excuse for his crappy play.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

ron of course (in the reg. season). ron is like allen iverson, plays every game like it's his last. and that's why we appreciate him.

look, we all know tracy's mentality. if it was the playoffs, i'm sure he would get some painkilling injections and play through it and play well like he did last yr.

but he can only get a certain amount of painkilling injections a year (4 and he has used up 2 already) so he can't. it is what it is.

again, an ankle is NOTHING compared to a knee, even if it's "general soreness." if you deal with athletes' injuries, ankle injuries are so common and people play through it all the time.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Adelman was an idiot leaving him in the game, anyone could see that he was plain hurting the team last night. Let Sasha Pavlovic drive by him at will, couldn't even run a fast break but instead passes the ball BACKWARDS to rafer.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not sure Grant Hill would agree with your assessment.

Athletes play through ankle injuries b/c the injury wont worsen and increased usage of the ankle will help it heal faster. Isnt it ironic that the same thing was said about Tmac's knee?

You may have a valid point somewhere, but Tmac's current situation doesn't support it.

6. t_mac1

again, we keep going over this. tracy's game is due to his explosiveness and quickness and athleticism. the knee is involved in all parts of that.

artest's game is power but lower to the ground. so a sprain ankle is nothing serious unless it's extremely painful (which it isn't considering he hasn't grimaced sicne he came back like he grimaced in parts of the game v. the hawks).

yes, both have to play through it. and tracy is. he's playing bad in ONE game since he has returned. so it shows the inconsistency and hopefully he can get back to being consistent. but it shows he's not there yet, but he's getting there.

before the rest, he gets this type of game every other game. now he gets it every SIX games. so there is improvement. he's getting better.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

4 games in 5 nights is about the worst thing you can do to a bum knee. It looked to me that not only was it sore but he didn't even have a full range of motion. He looked more unable to play than unwilling.

As I said before, he got out there and competed and that's all I ask. He didn't do that before and that's why I was on his case a few weeks back and I'm not now.

8. LoveRoxHateJazz

The truth is T-Mac needs to hit the weight room. That is the only way he will rebuild his strength and regain his explosiveness. I really hope he starts working out by January or he will remain a shell of his former self. It would be sad to see such a great talent shrivel away and fade into the dark.

9. t_mac1

lol, no. the solution is give him AT LEAST a day off between games. then he'll play like the tracy we know (or the 80% of it) -> 20, 6, 6.

10. LoveRoxHateJazz

No man, that is only temporary. We will never see the old T-Mac if he doesn't start hitting the gym. You can't sit out an entire offseason and expect to regain game shape by playing through games. This is the NBA, it's not that easy.

Look at Amare, he went through one hell of a rehab and came back. You put the work in, and you will see the results.

11. DaDakota

Ding ding ding.....we have a winner.

DD

12. LoveRoxHateJazz

It sucks because he finally has a team he can win a ring with. I believe he will come to his senses.

13. DaDakota

He looks like he is sort of sulking in that his role as ball dominator is gone.

I don't know....he just looks "Not right" mentally to me.

DD

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DD, I will say it again T-Mac is just not mentally tough nor physically as well.

15. t_mac1

the only gym exercise he can do is the treadmill anyways. he can lift weights b/c of his shoulders. and he can't do hardcore leg exercises like squats b/c the leg still lacks strength.

so no, playing games and rest is his only option. the guy just needs rest. as long as we dont' get into a lot of b2b, tracy will be fine. as he builds up the knee, then he'll perform better in those brutal stretches.

16. t_mac1

wow, what a change from earlier games when you said he was relishing it?

he put up 21, 7, 7 just now, loving the distributor role, and now he's sulking?

your theories are brilliant though. you could write a good fiction book.

17. DaDakota

Some games he does look great, like he is getting into it, but others, he looks disinterested.....

The comment by GOAT that he is having personal issues resonates with eratic play like that.

DD

18. Ismail

Ismail Member

Would you ever look right mentally in his situation? The two places an athlete never wants to get hurt are: the lower back and the knees. McGrady has had serious work done on both, I am sure he's gone through freak-out mode already. Clyde said that McGrady had already taken 2 of the 4 allowed painkilling injections. If I remember correctly, Andre Agassi needed 3 to get through the US open -- so he has to be in some serious pain.

I don't think he's sulking at all, either, I think he's embracing the distributor role. You could see him smiling after he dished out a few good passes when he trotted back up the court. McGrady should stop trying to play like Michael and start trying to play like Magic, because once he starts making plays, he reaches a level that only Lebron can get to (Kobe's playmaking is not as good as McGrady's best).

If anyone looks at that play when he had the steal and he completely slowed the play down, if McGrady was being selfish he would've gone the whole way to finish it. It was completely obvious that he could not run down the court that fast, that's why he passed it back and took the jumper. It bothers me that the guy can't do anything right in some people's eyes (that's not directed at you DD). For all we know he's really trying to rehab the knee, and I'd rather not assume the worst about one of our best players.

I remember (different account in lurker mode) when we first got him, this board was completely rejecting the gripes the Orlando fans had about McGrady. Now we have the same issues, and to me, they're not all that true.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Have you considered that he could do his rehab exercises with lighter weights? Or at the very least practice with a weighted vest?

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Serious work? Arthroscopic surgery is routine maintenance.

Out of curiosity, since Tmac's arthroscopic surgery is "serious work", how would you classify Shaun Livingston's knee surgeries?