1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1560] Steve Francis traded to GRIZZLIES

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Dec 24, 2008.

1. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

i would've rather trade francis for one of their big men like Arthur or Gasol, but dang for a 2nd-rounder and there isn't much ppl in the free agency that are good, well not to my knowledge. :confused:

2. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

well if that was 2 happen which i doubt then he is one player that i can say is actually loyal 2 his words.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW! Thats sad. can't believe he is back with the Grizzlies.

I hope SF just flat out retires, like Mobley did. Sad stuff. :(

I was still holding out hope he might be able to contribute to the team. I hated seeing him just sittin there and being awaste on the bench.

I will forever enjoy that spectacular game he had against the Suns last season. :(

Bye SF. Good Luck.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Wow, haha, with the amount of people here wanting Steve Francis to play, well, now we MIGHT get a chance to see him on the court.

5. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

But why? Just for salary cap? How much does he earn per year?

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly this move makes me lose a lot of faith in this organization. Deke isn't worth SF3. This guy gave his all for this team, then he exercised his option to stay, and this is what we do to him. How could we? When we traded dream, I was hurt but understood, this, this makes me so erked I can't stand it. What next? Shane Battier for Richard Jefferson?

7. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I hope no one expects Yao to resign with the Rockets out of loyalty in 2010, when he could make way more money in NY or California.

8. verti89

verti89 Member

Battier for Jefferson???? Not that its possible but how would that be anything BUT awesome...

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That pretty much sums it up with Stevie. Not that I fault Steve with taking more money, but had he decided instead to waive his player option (knowing that he was not able to play) and to re-sign with the Rockets for the veteran minimum, I sincerely believe that he'd still be a Rocket today.

The Rockets would have had plenty of money to re-sign Deke, Steve could have rehabbed his knee without fear of being traded, and the Rockets would have that much more luxury tax flexibility AND still had that valuable 2009 Memphis second rounder. Instead, Francis decided to take the money.

Again, I don't fault him for it. But this is the inevitable consequence of that decision.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I agree with you to an extent, but Francis was clearly not going to get minutes in Adelman's gimmick system. Deke is much more important for Yao insurance, even if he doesn't get to play either.

11. King901

King901 Member

For money and youthful talent, seeing in how we dont have draft picks next year....
    Golden State is in the rebuilding process. Now even there captain wouldn't mind being traded. Recently Anthoony Randolph was told to tell his agent to start looking else where. GS has said they would love to trade away Marcus Williams.

Chuck hayes and Luther Head for Anthony Randolph and Marcus Williams.
    We would save some money in the process.

Randolph is a good upcoming star in the making. He can rebound, shoot and attack the rim. We are missing youth right now. We need an SF who will go and dunk on someone any moment. He can also play PF. Yes we have alot of PF's, but think about foul trouble and trying to spread the floor. He can make the outside shots.

Marcus Williams has alot of raw talent. Given the chance to play and not having the coaches dog him out, he excelled. Look what he did when Jason Kidd was getting traded. GS would love to trade him. They wouldn't want much for him. He can be the back up PG next time Rafer or Brooks gets injured. He can play SG and do the same when Tmac gets injured or needs rest.

We lose a 3point shooter that doesn't get much playing time in Luther Head. Golden State is a run and gun 3point shooting team. He would fit perfectly there.

We lose a hustle guy who gives his heart every chance he gets in Chuck Hayes. He is undersized and can't help us much anymore. Him leaving could lead to Dorsey getting some playing time.

12. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Kinda reminds me of Rasheed, can't buy minutes with Adleman either, but doing just fine after being traded.

13. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Stop with the Randolph trade stuff. The Warriors can get more than Luther Head for him.

If Randolph was on the Rockets, would YOU trade him for Luther Head?

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Shane and Rafer for RJ. It could work, but if they did it I'd be done with this team.

15. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Stevie is too hurt to play. It's as simple as that. He exercised his option to stay because he was getting paid $2 million to be a team mascot. I'm as big of a fan of Stevie as big as anyone, but it's time to put my #3 Flying Dildo jersey to rest. We almost had to pay Memphis to take him off our hands, and I imagine that more likely than not, Memphis will just go ahead and cut Stevie, allowing us to resign him to the minimum and have him continue being what he has been for the past 1+ year.

Right now, Deke is worth FAR more than Steve,

And really who wouldn't trade Battier for Jefferson at this point?

16. yeo

yeo Member

Well, Francis has already said, half-jokingly, that he might play in the CBA next year, following in Bonzi's footsteps. Now he really might. We love you in China, Stevie, even if the Rockets don't. :D

17. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

I thought Morey was Money!!!!!

I thought Morey was Money!!!!!

Some might say this is a useless thread if so don't reply to it. Morey has made many good moves but this one I find it strange. We got a good high pick from the Grizzlies with a second round which would likely been in the high 30's. Now with him trading Steve Francis that second round pick and cash consideration to the team that originally drafted Steve is not so money.

#1. There is a golden rule that you do not trade during Christmas or something like that

#2. You do not trade within the division. Perfect example: Luis Scola :D ..Thanks Spurs

#3. What do we get out of this. Nothing!!!!

You might say well we are under the luxury tax. Yeah that is good but if we sign Deke won't we go right back to where we was and over it. If we do sign Deke i believe he will be just like Steve Francis was to us and warm the bench up. I love Deke but he is past his time. If there is something brewing up I hope its a player we can actually use. Deke was with us last year and road the bench. Only played when Yao went out. Why sign him now? what makes you think this time will be any different. He is a year older and a year slower. :(

18. King901

King901 Member

Nope, but if they told him to tell his agent to look else where and no one has offered anything for him, why not?

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You know, it is not a federal law for you to post every fleeting thought that comes into your head. To your point, I'll take Morey's basketball acumen over yours.

20. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

useless move on morey's part besides getting under the LT. Whether we get deke or not still doesn't HELP the team.