1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 upconversions on DVDs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How much better does the PS3 look when running standard DVDs? I bought a used one from Moes (Thanks Moes) and we bought the Blue Ray version of Wall-E...it looked awesome.

But I have not yet tried to upconvert, does it make that much of a difference?

We have LOTS of movies and I don't want to replace them if I don't have to, but playing a standard DVD on the big screen looks ok, but not great, and the Blue Ray movies look awesome.....

Do the upconverted ones look good too?

DD

2. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

From what I can tell, there are more vivid colors...and slightly better lines and detail. Is it better than standard DVD res? Yes. Is it even close to 1080p? No.

3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

It does a good job...if you have never played a bluray on you set. It just doesn't compare to the true hd picture though.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of the best up onverters out there. No need to re-buy anything on bluray.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The upconversion on PS3 is awesome.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

If you're watching a DVD on the PC does it upconvert? I can barely tell the difference between my ps3 playing a DVD and my PC playing a DVD.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes. Anything that is not native resolution has to be upconverted to be displayed or you will get a tiny picture with black all around it. The question is how well it upconverts. Since PC's and the PS3 has lots of processing power, so the algorithm that does the upcoversion can be more sophisticated that leads to better quality. It really depends on what software you use on your computer to watch DVDs. I've been told by some HTPC enthusiests that you can get incredible picture quality from your computer if you have the right software are will to make the adjustments to tweak the picture.

8. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

I am continually blown away by how well my PS3 upscales DVDs. Although, I think the PS3 is really good at bringing out the flaws in the original transfer from film. Thus, some DVDs look better than others.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one suggestion: pop one of those LOTS of movies in your new PS3 and see for yourself!
    ;)

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of all those current weird threads going on, this is the oddest to me.

- You have a PS3 player
    - You have lots of non Blu-Ray DVDs

Rather than putting one in and seeing for yourself, you ask other people how well the standard DVDs look.

Am I missing something here?

11. DaDakota

I just installed it last night in the kids game room. It is not the place we normally watch movies, but it is the biggest TV in the house.

I was curious as to what to expect, and see if anyone had done it, or I had to change some settings, or something, or maybe someone would say which movies looked the best....or whether some movies don't do well being upconverted.....

I will give it a go today......

Moes....check your skype.

DD

12. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I think the upconvert works pretty well. DVDs formatted for widescreen work best. Heroes season one and Lost dvds look great. Older movies like the 25th anniversary of Enter the Dragon don't do as well. (I bought ETD on blu-ray and it's beautiful.)

13. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

The upscaler does work very well. Also, if it is hooked up to the TV via HDMI, you will see a big difference than if connected via Component cables.

I'm contemplating purchasing a regular DVD upconverter, because like you, I have a TON of standard DVD's that I don't want to replace w/ Blu-ray. That being the case, I don't really want to run all of those movies through the PS3, just to save the wear and tear on the PS3.

A good upconverter DVD player can be had for $100. I'm thinking it's worth it, then just use the PS3 for games and blu-ray movies.

14. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

seriously you have DVD's, you have a PS3, yet you are asking for our subjective opinion?

Do not get it :confused:

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I heard those HD-DVD players were really good upconverters. I was thinking of getting one and hten I can get some cheap HD titles that are still leftover as well to. Most of thsoe players were like 50 bucks or less when i was looking a while back.

edit: my bad, looks like anywhere from 75-100 for those HD-DVD players. I guess the 50 bucks was for the xbox add on.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

One of the movies that shows the UPCONVERSION well is Monsters, Inc. While you are watching the movie, you will see how well it looks. It seems blu-rayish.

Press the GREEN TRIANGLE button and go to Video Options and select the upconversion method. You will love it. :eek:

Like I said in the "Is Blu-Ray all that much?" thread, Sully's hair--in the Abominable Snowman scene--after crashing on the snow looks great. :cool:

Seriously, though, the kids have the "largest TV" in the house? Something doesn't compute there. Hello, "ADHD". :(

17. DaDakota

Nemo shows upconversion very well too.

I was wondering, is this sort of like a line doubler that is in high end projectors?

Tomorrow I am taking the LOTR and putting it in the XBox and also in the PS3 and am going to flip back and forth in sources to see the difference, should be fun.

DD

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

you're crazy

19. DaDakota

Wait, are you saying you have to select the upconversion method or will it do it automatically?

DD