1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here we go again - Texans shouldn't try very hard next week

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rterry, Dec 22, 2008.

1. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

If you take a look at the current won-lost schedule, a Texans victory next week could cost them 5 or 6 places in the draft. I hate having to do this... but GO BEARS!! The 12th pick in the draft might give us a much better chance at the pass rusher we need and maybe it will seal the faith of Rick Smith.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I agree. Go Bears!

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly, I'm glad they aren't going to finish 9-7 and delude themselves (and the fans) into believing this team was on the verge of being a real contender. The defense is still awful.

4. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Agreed. It's obvious by their play yesterday that they got WAY too complacent. I'm glad they beat the Titans, but they still have a long ways to go.

5. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Why Rick Smith. Rick Smith has done a great job since he has been here. His drafts have been money. The one that needs to go is RICHARD Smith.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Agreed. I've always been pragmatic about this. Once your team is eliminated, tanking for draft position is the best strategy.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Young teams do not bring it every week, they are growing, they will be fine.

DD

8. rterry

I meant the Defensive Coordinator. I hate that they have the same name. I agree that the general manager is superb.

9. rterry

They at best will have the same record as last year. How is that growing? I do agree that they have the potential to be a contender, but they need to hit on their first rounder for a defensive impact player to make that happen. Go BEARS!!

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is reason enough for RICHARD Smith to be fired. Too many people (including myself) get them mixed up.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

RICHARD Smith will keep his job for another year until he's ushered out after next season alongside the rest of Kubiak's "family."

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Uhh no. Kubiak+ Rick Smith+ Alex Gibbs has changed the face of the organization. Its Richard Smith who needs to go. Why would we fire somebody whos given us a 7-9 or 8-8 season full of injuries in our secondary, injuries to our QB and a rookie RB? We play in a pretty tough division and weve had setbacks with Hurricane Ike. We still manage to be #3 offensively in the NFL, and that means we are doing bad on only the defensive side of the ball. Weve had amazing drafts with Kubiak+Smith, and weve made some decent free agent signings. why the **** would we fire them? I dont understand

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I HATE the idea of tanking, it just sours my stomach. Chicago wins tonight they are in the playoff hunt. Viking fans deserve our best effort. It's just a cheeseball thing to do (never mind the fact that there is no guarantee that a 12th pick is gonna be a better pro than a 17th pick).

Even if we were inclined to tank how would we go about it. Start Cecil Sapp? Have Mario fake an injury. Have a bunch of guys running around 3/4 speed and risking a real injury. It would be one thing if we had a 38 year old QB and a QB of the future waiting in the wings who we wanted to see what they could do on the roster.

Play to win every week, you get whatever draft pick you get.

14. msn

msn Member

Seconded.

15. conquistador#11

sometimes kubiak reminds me of the coach from the waterboy. He just needs some confidence and he will be fine.
    Greenwood must go, and so must travis.

16. Astro101

Astro101 Member

No tank, thx.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'll never root for the other team to win or our team to lose, regardless of the situation. I hate the notion of cheering against the team because of the draft.

That said, a loss would be helpful. Also, if the Bears win tonight, that means they'd play us next week with a win-or-go-home sense of desperation. It'd be tough to see us playing with equal drive, even at home. If the regression in our defense from yesterday wasn't a one game fluke, Orton and Forte will embarrass us.

Richard Smith has got to go, IMO. He's out of his depth, has no idea what to do with the secondary, and I believe he already lost his keys in mid-November. I have no faith in him getting our defense ready to play, and I believe this defense plays beneath its talent level. The D-line (Mario aside) seems to underachieve, and the safeties to often seem unprepared and caught off guard. The LBs have been forced to chase down all of the broken responsibilities, but when hobbled (Ryans, Diles), there's no one to clean up the mistakes.

I think we'd most benefit from a safety in the first round. That's the one position where we're patchwork on both sides. CB is the second choice, followed by D-line. A franchise tackle like Monroe would have to fall to get me to change course. Assuming Jenkins isn't even an option, my board would look like: Mays, Davis, Orakpo, trade down.

Evan

18. Splash

Splash Member

It's a good thing you didn't post this in the GARM. Your thoughts would've been drowned out by the yells of outrage of us not being able to get Brandon Roy, since JVG doesn't believe in tanking.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

We aren't #3 in scoring or red zone offense; in fact, we're far closer to the bottom. I agree that Kubiak is good-- as an offensive coordinator. But can you explain to me his overall game strategy on Sunday? What exactly was his gameplan? Do you like his halftime adjustments? Are you confident he'll call the right plays in the red zone? Do you feel he holds his assistants accountable? Do you feel his clock management is acceptable? Are you confident each week the team will be prepared fully? I think Kubiak has a good offensive mind, but he's given me no reason to believe he's the best person to have in charge of a football team. How many times has he apologized this season and given the "that one's on me" speech? How long 'til we believe him? I will say that the team hasn't tuned him out yet, which is obviously when you have to make a change. But with another year of the same (and I happen to think it's coming), we'll see how the team holds together.

Rick Smith is another story. His drafts have been excellent. If Kubiak is part of that decision-making process than he deserves to share the credit. I'd like to see more on the free-agency front before I judge his instincts there. Ahman Green didn't pan out al all, obviously, but he was a gamble when we had no options.

20. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Seriously, we need to tank. It could mean the difference between Brandon Roy and Shane Battier