1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Confidence Meter (fixed)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 22, 2008.

?

Texans are set at...

1. Head Coach

70 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Asst Coaching Staff

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. QBs

60 vote(s)
    51.7%
  4. RBs

45 vote(s)
    38.8%
  5. Receiving Corps (incl TE)

112 vote(s)
    96.6%
  6. O-Line

29 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. D-Line

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. LB corps

30 vote(s)
    25.9%
  9. Secondary

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  10. Special Teams

53 vote(s)
    45.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Vote for the generalized positions (may choose more than one) where you feel the Texans are SET. As in, if YOU were running the team, you would actively make sure that they keep everyone involved on board.

Evan

2. Splash

Splash Member

I checked off:

Head coach - firing Kubiak is the dumbest think McNair could do at this point

QBs - though now I'm regretting it because I was only thinking about Schaub... I want an athletic QB as our backup

WRs/TEs - no problem here

O-line - all we need is more experience, maybe sign a vet FA, but it's not a pressing need compared to defense. Has any position improved this year more than O-line?

Special teams - Brown's right foot is made out of platinum. The mistakes we made in the Oakland game were on the coaches' lack of preparation. That's two onside kicks we weren't prepared for now this season.

I didn't check off:

Asst. coaching staff - this is obvious, FIRE RICHARD SMITH

All defense categories - we need another playmaker at pretty much every position here. Another pass rusher to go with Mario. Adibi has been solid but we need depth at the position now. Who knows if Dunta re-signs with us? Must prepare for worse case scenario.

RBs - we need another good back to pair up with Slaton. Green is obviously done. Preferably a short yardage back for situations like we saw yesterday on 3rd/4th and 1. If we had a big short yardage back, Kubiak would use him there. Rosencopter would happen either since we had another short yardage option. I wish we'd use Leach in those situations more often. Already had 1 rushing TD yesterday.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

We need a better secondary... better D coordinator, one more pass rusher (but please not a 1st rounder), and we need a big fat back like Jerome Bettis.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

When you say "set" do you mean...

1) I would recommend making no changes this offseason

or

2) I would recommend making no changes for the foreseeable future (2+ years)

5. msn

msn Member

...that depends on what is the definition of 'is'.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm not sure why Kubiak is getting such high marks. The offense has been nicely overhauled since he got here, definitely, and I like that he is relatively humble. But he hasn't impressed me in any other way. His team is often ill-prepared, his game management skills are non-existant, our red-zone play calling is sad, his use of the challenge flag is puzzling, and he has refused to fire Richard Smith. I don't think I've ever felt that Kubiak has out-coached an opponent, out-planned anyone. The team's mediocre talent has to share blame for its mediocre record, but Kubiak is part of the problem. I predict he'll be given another year, he'll produce another .500 record with no playoffs, and he'll be shown the door.

Then Kubiak will be paid somewhere else to be what he is: An offensive coordinator.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Given that there's no way to know what will happen with injuries, you probably want to just keep it to between now and next season.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

So you are for keeping Richard Smith?

BAN HIM!
    j/k :D

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I only voted for the WRs/TEs. The rest can stand to be improved.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We probably need another OLineman, a RB to back up Slaton (preferably a bruiser who we can use in short yardage situations), a DE, maybe a corner (though I still like Bennett), and better safties. Maybe an OLB but maybe not.

Priority goes to DE and secondary.

Oh yeah, a new defensive coordinator would be nice too.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What we need (in order):

1. New DC

2. Pass Rusher Opposite Mario

3. Safety

4. Complimentary RB behind Slaton

I fully expect Dunta to be back but if not, a CB automatically shoots up to #1.

12. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I don't see any MAJOR changes at:

Head Coach

Staff (excluding D-Coordinator, which may bring in new assistants)

QB

RB (bring in backup)

WR

TE

O-Line (will probably draft depth)

CB (due to resources already spent there)

There will be one or two areas that they won't be able to fix all in one offseason.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Whats wrong with Vonta Leach as our bruiser? He's 6' 250lbs, so he's no Brandon Jacobs, but his height and weight match Bettis and Jamal Lewis. We know if he gets the ball, he isnt running out of bounds, and he got us the goal line TD.

Anyways, were only truly set at RB, WR, LB, and ST. We're adequate at QB and Oline, Head Coach, and DL (if Amobi would step up)

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Just because it helps to have a blocking fullback for short yardage runs. If Leach is running the ball it means no fullback is blocking for him.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I would upgrade, in order: defensive coordinator, defensive tackle beside Okoye, cornerback, second running back, back up quarterback, defensive end opposite Mario, free safety, backup left tackle, center.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

from http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/statistics?team=HOU

The Texans defense ranks:

27th in points allowed
    23rd in yards
    16th in passing yards
    25th in rushing yards

The Texans offense ranks:

20th in points
    3rd in yards
    4th in passing yards
    14th in rushing yards

The defense should be the highest priority in the draft (or FA signings). Stopping the run appears to be the biggest current need.

The offense needs to learn how to establish a running game, which likely means upgrading the the G or C.

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

We need some upgrades to the defense and a complementary back to pair with Slaton.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only the head coach and skill positions. QB, RB, and WR are pretty set for next year. Might need backups but the starters are solid.

Secondary and defensive line need the most help. Yet another first round pick used on a defensive lineman? I guess so.

19. updawg

updawg Member

amazing how many first round picks have been spent on the d line and it still needs help. I'm not bashing Mario, because he is a stud, buts its annoying that it still needs work

20. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

There is definitely talent on the D-Line besides Mario Williams.

IMO Amobi Okoye is much more effective when he is allowed to attack the QB. This Richard Smith style of "read then react" defense is killing Okoye and Johnson. A couple of weeks ago I was willing to chalk up "bust" next to Okoye's name, but I was convinced by others that he needs some more experience (being as young as he is, 21) and its only his second year. Okoye was a great player at Louisville and will be a solid DT.

Tim Bulman has been a nice find. I'm not saying he is an every down player, but he has shown the ability to rush the passer, which we sorely need. He could be a solid DE if honed his technique and was smarter about beating the OT.

Travis Johnson, IMO is a bust. I know many will disagree, but there is a reason why he was one of the players that Kubiak openly challenged when he got here. Johnson was 1st round pick and has played subpar in comparison to where he was picked.

DelJuan Robinson. Man where did this guy come from? Robinson has looked spectacular (albeit in limited appearances), and should be given a chance to compete for a starting job next year. I like that he plays with a lot of enthusiasm and keeps moving until the whistle stops.

Frank Okam is still a big question mark. I don't know why he hasn't seen the field more, but he has the physical tools to be a very good DT. I guess its the same as it was at UT, where his heart just isn't into it (a big reason why he fell in the draft). I'd definitely like to see Okam play up to his potential, but that may be asking too much.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Texans go DL again in the first round, but it all starts in the trenches. Maybe a change in scheme and another pass rusher could get things going better for the defense. A better pass rush would also help the secondary since they wouldn't have to hold their position so long (whether its zone or man-to-man), not that we couldn't stand to upgrade the secondary.

I really hope the Texans have another solid draft and get some players via free agency that come in and help get the team over the hump into playoff contention.