1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao please feel free to put someone on their butt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Dec 21, 2008.

1. xuel

xuel Member

good idea!!

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Two more MVP's, there more NBA Championships, and eight more 1st Team All-NBA defensive selections and Yao will be a pimp just like Tim Duncan.

3. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

good posts...i think what yao did to the warriors and randolph after the rookie taunted him was pretty "pimp"ish lol (in artest's word).

4. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

given his physical condition,forget that

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

In the nba as a big man, you either do the punking or get punked. After 6 yrs and all the excuse of being a gentleman and the personality oppression by the government, yao is the latter. He's a good player and sometimes good guys finish 1st, but the nba is a man's league full of male harmones and full of men trying to prove they're the bad ass dude on the block. When u come into the league and people foul and push you and dunk in you grill and nothing happens, like ashton kutcher would say, you've been punked.

Now I know people will say you don't have to be a thug or they'll bring david robinson or someone else. They try to bring up dream, but i'll tell them to ask cage, polenice or kupchak. As a big man, you're supposed to be the biggest, toughest player on the team. Your teammates should know if something goes down, it will be a repeat of "Malice at the Palace" in this piece. That's not Yao. He's just wants to do his job and go about his business. The rox didn't have to go get a tough guy for dream or moses. Shaq didn't need a tough guy, nor zo or deke. It is what it is, but yao is what he is. Expecting him to all of a sudden be something different is a waste of time.

6. killer instinct

I noticed Lebron doesn't dunk on centers that much.

What a wussy he is he can probably touch the top of the backboard yet he still gets his dunks on fast breaks and on guards.

Does he seriously think he can win a ring without dunking over centers?

That goes for Artest and TMac as well. They can totally do it, why don't they?

The NBA is so weak...... except for Howard of course.

I bet you guys want Yaos picture when you see, him instead of telling him that he needs to knock someone on their butt.

OK WE GET THE POINT......... YAO is not HARD enough. Shouldn't you guys be watching sportscenter......... didn't someone dunk yesterday.

THE NERF GOALS HAVE GONE TO YOUR HEADS. Dream should have been dunking instead of the Dream shake I guess too.

SO WHAT YOU PEOPLE DON"T LIKE YAO's STYLE, who cares the W's are all that matter to me...... you sound like a bunch of middle aged women talking about the young secretary around here.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

killerinstinct- I think ur missing the point and I understand that we're beating the dead horse. Yao is soft, but we know this. I think people just want him to be brawny paper towel , not hill country fare. Both are paper towels, but brawny is tougher and still will break down with enough water. No one wants yao to imitate toughness, just on the floppers, fall on top of them. The guys in the post that's reaching around you, turn with the elbows up and get a guy off you. In grade schoool, when the big dude keep taking your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, you don't start bringing tuna fish, you hook the sandwich up or kick him in his nuts, then kick his ass. Its that simple.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Exactly. Like I said, Tofu is no Kung Fu.

9. killer instinct

So if someone hurts Yao on purpose because he is capable of making an NBA play, you guys are OK with that?

Because thats what you want him to do.

I think most guys in the NBA grow up dunking and IMO can't shoot very well and do not have the intelligence to know the game, this is why they resort to this activity. Do you guys want me to make threads of how guys that leave college early or come straight out of high school are weak players because to be frank they are not very intelligent people (on and off the court) and therefore the league has suffered.

Yao does not have the athleticism you guys want PERIOD!

however, when guys that thrive off their athleticism alone lose that due to injury and age, they have to find the ability Yao has to carry them and I don't think even jordan had that once his body weakened. Knowledge of the game, what the plays are and the most efficient ways to play D and O.

these threads should be about our weak uncreative guard play not about the most feared player on our team and that is who Yao is to the other team. its not TMac and its not Artestmeandiwillkillyou. Its Yao and i think people around here are ungrateful when it comes to Yao.

I loved dream and yao is no Dream but he is what we have and he is a player that nearly every team in the league will take and beat us with if you guys can't be happy with what we have.

A specimen that is more extraordinary than ordinary. i hated that dream couldn't shoot 3's and sabonis can but do i give up dream for sabonis?HELL NO!

ONCE AGAIN the guys that need to be on their butts are the undersized point guards on this team that let their men blow by them. that is who we should be crying about and trying to replace.

Come playoffs teams are just going to force them to shoot it from the parking lot because they are too small to come into the lane in a half court playoff setting. they will get shot over and they will let their guys draw fouls on yao and you guys will still act as if it is yaos fault. hopefully you will get off the ass of the guy that keeps in most games and redirect that dissapointment to the guys that will be our true Achilles heel.

Get ready for Matt Maloney part 2. 3 superstars and point guards average to below average who will be exposed every time and will fall down on their butts and prevent us from getting to the big dance.

THANKS FOR THE DEBATE........ GO ROCKETS.

10. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Right, If he only had and that is the story that I hear all the time.

Still it's hard to defend Yao when he's dunked on all the time.

11. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Pls, Excuse him. He doesn't have a TV and can only watch box scores.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm sure you haven't forgotten the altercation b/t KG and duncan in a playoff game a long time ago. they went at it HARD. duncan may be soft-spoken and calm. but he will retaliate.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Jesus most of you Yao apologist think dunking is the only way to play physical. No one is saying Yao needs to dunk on everyone in the game to show he's not soft as tofu. Playing physical is also attacking the rim, backing down your opponent, going up strong, etc. Yao catches it and just fadeaways or get pushed around too often by smaller guys.

No everyone in this thread is not okay with it. We want Yao to get more physical on players that are playing him dirty so they would stop or at least think twice before doing it to him.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

^ you're right. being aggressive doesn't mean dunking on people willy nilly like stromile swift. for yao, it just means attack harder. attack the double/triple teams if they send small guys at you and don't pass out, when you're around the basket, go hard with the "intent" to dunk and not lay it up... that's what being aggressive means.

on defense, it doesn't mean you have to play dirty. if a guy is going down the lane and about to dunk, give him a hard foul, not a flagrant foul. show him the next time you go down the lane, you're gonna think twice.

that's all it is. that's a sign of every great center. if yao is a great center, he needs to do that.

yes tim duncan is calm and soft-spoken, but you do see people try to dunk on him every damn time. the only guys who i remember that have dunked on him are the kobes, brons, and vince carters. those are some of the best athletes and ballers in the L. but i see mostly scrubs dunking on yao. that's a big difference.

yao can do this and he should do this. the intimidation factor for our team will go to another level.

15. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I see where you are coming from, and I do agree with you. But I am afraid that being tic-for-tac-tough is just not in Yao's DNA. Deep down he is not confident enough to be "you think you are tough? I am tougher". In most times, I feel that he is sort of afraid of his opponent, thinking that if he plays rough, his opponents are going to retaliate even more. To get involved in a fight might be a bigger embarrassment for Yao, because I don't think he can beat up Jefferson or even Nick Collison without serious damage to himself.

16. killer instinct

So has Shaqs dirty play against Yao stops Yao from going at Shaq? NO.

Then what is the difference?

AL JEFFERSON is probably playing like the 1, 2, or 3 best centers right now.

Would this thread have been posted about Dream when KEMP abused him regularly in the day? probably not.

i just think stupid retaliation fouls hurt more than they help.

so you guys play ball on the playground get knocked on your butts and stop playing against those guys? If you didn't do it then why would a NBAer do it. yao is the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA, everyone gets up to play them and he doesn't whine about it he accepts that he is already a threatening talent in this league and that guys will come at him for 48 minutes and sometimes he has to back off in order to stay on the court.

can yao be more physical? Sure. Would I like to see it. of course. does he get calls? Not a lot most of the time. will he help this team on the bench? Absolutely not.

I think yao plays smarter than most of the intimidating players that you guys are comparing him to. I don't think you guys would back off the big guy on the playground and I don't expect NBA professionals to be any different. the guy already affects so many shots on the court but it seems that if he doesn't have a stat for it or a bloody elbow to show for it you guys don't notice and appreciate him for it.

The only guys yao needs to knock on their butts are his short sighted critics and even then he will never win IMO.

You can call me a yao apologist if you want but i expect more from him and the rest of the team. i think there is so much that is good on this team because of him and I rarely ever see a thread about it without someone trying to make him into a player he is not.

i don't think an elbow or dirty play will work to his benefit in this league. he has been singled out all of his life. 10 years it took Dream to win a ring and even if yao never gets one there is nothing like him in the world....... enjoy him while we have him.

17. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I kinda agree. It is frustrating to see guys like Jefferson dunking on Yao like crazy. It is embarasing.

Yao, just send a messagge. Foul hard and show that you are not a bi*ch.

18. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

You guys are crazy if you think Yao wasn't givin it back to Jeff. Look back at the fourth quarter. Jeff was makin crazy shots over Yao nd just on fire n general. What did Yao do? well for one he didn't go back and slam it on Al's face like you guys wanted him to do, but he did go back at Al just as strong.

Yao nailed 2 critical buckets down the stretch in the 4th quarter after Jefferson scored on him at the other end. That's what I want from Yao. Sure people are gonna get hot nights on you and you might have a bad matchup against someone, but I don't want Yao to hang his head and just give in like he did against Perkins. Battling the refs and a bad night, Yao came down the lane in the 4th and demanded the ball and matched Jeffersons performance. Yao manned up and killed the T'wolves run with his critical shots. That stuff doesn't make BSPN but it shows how tough Yao really is.

19. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Normally you make some decent points but you make no sense here. People bring up Anthony Randolph and Nene's dunk. Who gives a crap. You know what the outcome of those games were. Rox win both, Yao outscores Randolph 33-12, and Yao outscores Nene 32-10. What did that power dunk do for the Warriors and Nuggets. Nothing.

20. adoo

adoo Member

the only opposing Center that doesn't play Yao dirty is Shaq