1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley Retires

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AzNaNsZ, Dec 10, 2008.

1. verti89

verti89 Member

1. if francis or anyone who somehow talks to him sees this board i hope they pass it on to Cat cuz I am sure he would love the love here

2. I am pretty certain this was a condition cat was aware of already, i seem to recall reading something about how the Clips and him has an agreement in the contract that if he had to retire due to the problem they were off the hook.

3. To all the people who are saying maybe he will get better, I am no doctor but I am pretty sure this is not just a temporary thing that gets better. So don't wish him to get better, wish him a long healthy happy life.

much love cat

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yes and no. Cat said in today's press conference that he had a known condition (that we knew about as a Rocket), but it had progressed to the point of becoming a serious health risk. I posted the article on the prev page if you want to read it.

makes me wonder if his peak physical conditioning and professional nutritionist prevented the condition from destroying his career earlier.

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Best of luck to Mobley. The guy was a true class-act and for some reason, you always wanted to root for him. I don't know if it's because everyone loves an underdog drafted in the 2nd round out of a tiny college, but Cat was awesome as a Rocket.

A question for any heart experts out there (I did some googling but still have a question). Just because Mobley isn't playing basketball doesn't mean this heart condition is suddenly going to disappear right? From my sources in the pentagon, he'll need beta blockers + other drugs + possible surgery down the line to reduce the size of his left ventricle.

How do you live a long life with this condition?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6162671.html">Quotes from Matt Bullard:</a>

[rquoter]“He’s going to miss it really bad,” Bullard said. “Cuttino loves playing basketball. When I played with him, he loved to come to work every single day, practiced hard, played hard, always smiling. It’s going to be really difficult to find something that replaces that. I always tell people to make it in the NBA, you have to have an inner drive that’s unbelievable.

“When you retire, that drive doesn’t go away. Cuttino does have other interests. Hopefully, he can use that drive to be successful at something else. ... It’s unfortunate that he had cut his basketball career short, but there is a lot more to life than basketball.”[/rquoter]

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Write in Mobley for All-Star Ballot! Who's with me?! It's the perfect way to show him you're appreciation for what he brought to this game, and even though he's not completely Ok physically, one game won't kill him.

I guess I'm still kinda in denial about this whole thing.