1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama makes potential pick for energy chief,

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Interesting choice given his purely academic background. I wonder how they selected him (and others in his staff).

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/10/obama.energy/index.html
    By Ed Henry
    CNN White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama is likely to name Steven Chu, a physicist who runs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, as his energy secretary, three Democratic officials close to the transition said.
    Steven Chu explains his Nobel-winning theory on superfreezing gases in 1997.

The three officials said the announcement is expected next week in Chicago, Illinois, and that Obama will also name Carol Browner, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency in the Clinton administration, as the newly created "climate czar" inside the White House.

Chu won the 1997 Nobel Prize in physics and is highly respected in energy circles. But some Democrats have privately expressed concern that Chu has no political experience as he takes on the monumental task of passing a landmark energy reform bill early next year.

Although Browner is seen as a shrewd inside player who could help the incoming energy secretary navigate Capitol Hill, Obama will face questions about how effective his team will be going up against oil companies and other special interests that do not want to change the status quo.

"Energy is going to be a huge fight," one Democratic official said. "They need someone with the gravitas and force of personality to make it happen."

Democrats have privately floated some other big names for energy secretary in recent days, including California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

But a source close to Schwarzenegger said the governor wants to serve out the rest of his term.

A source close to Powell said the retired general will take "no formal Cabinet role" in an Obama administration but is leaving the door open to an informal troubleshooting role -- such as Mideast envoy -- if the incoming president has a specific mission that needs to be filled.

Energy is one aspect of the president-elect's one-year goal to create 2.5 million jobs by 2011. The plan, which Obama announced Saturday, aims to put Americans to work updating the country's infrastructure, making public buildings more energy-efficient and implementing environmentally friendly technologies, including alternative energy sources.

During his campaign, Obama said he would invest $150 billion over 10 years in clean energy. He proposed increasing fuel economy standards and requiring that 10 percent of electricity in the United States comes from renewable sources by 2012.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

What a change from the Bush administration.

Choosing a Noble prize winning energy scientist to be in charge of scientific energy initiatives.

Change you can believe in!

3. BetterThanEver

Schwarzneger or Colin Powell for energy secretary? An actor or a military general in charge of energy policy. Are those dems smoking crack?

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hope this guy is up to the task because, after the economy, energy is the issue I'm holding Obama most accountable for. I expect big changes in energy policy in short order and if "gravitas" is a problem with this guy I'm gonna be extremely disappointed.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This pencil-necked dweeb is already getting clowned by the media, including many from the left. Just like his master, he's got no experience. He's gonna get dominated by the veterans

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Oil futures in doubt?

7. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

^ just mad that sarah palin, America's foremost energy expert, got snubbed for the spot

8. BetterThanEver

It's intelligent move to choose an expert in his subject matter to lead that position.

It's quite a shock. I know.

When you have Bush choosing inexperienced political favorities like the Arabian Horse Association chairman for FEMA, Chu is a wierd choice.

9. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

WOW! Your dumb.... :rolleyes:

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My prediction: wnes will be in favor of this pick more so than he as in favor of Shinseki for VA head.

My second prediction: wnes might change his opinion in order to avoid matching my prediction like he did when I predicted his reaction to Shinseki for VA head.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well then, brah, eat the head!

[​IMG]

Shouldn't be a surprise when you have loonies like SamFisher from the left.

Sammy, as your right-wing counterpart would say, I dominate your thought and control your emotion.

Now back to the topic, looks like an atonement from Obama. Commendable.

12. bigtexxx

Hilarious self-pwn3rship

13. bigtexxx

It would be one thing if Obama did choose an expert. Instead, he chose a guy who is experienced in the "development of methods to cool and trap atoms with laser light." :rolleyes: Career academia at its finest

Obama needs to surround himself with experts to compensate for his own lack of experience. Appointing people like Chu from academia is just r****ded.

I liked some of Obama's other appointees, but this one just reeks of foolishness - definitely exposing Obama's inexperience.

#13 bigtexxx, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  14. bigtexxx

Yeah wnes will like the guy because he's of Chinese descent. Duh

#14 bigtexxx, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ahhh.. the sweet smell of sour grapes has finally come back from hiding.

HI BIGTEXXX!

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Of course, as evident in my ever profuse praises heaped upon Elaine Chao...

17. bigtexxx

Hi Donald. I haven't been hiding. In fact if you head over to the Houston sports forum, you'll notice that I've been quite active celebrating the hurting that my Owls put on the literally defenseless Cougar High a couple weeks ago

I still can't believe Obama's foolishness with this pick. I wonder who he's going to appoint next....Steve Urkel?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I saw you yip-yapping over there, getting to celebrate so seldom must be rough for you :(

Anyway, dust yourself off and welcome back CHUM!

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

As predicted, wnes climbs aboard the Chu Chu Train...would he have done the same if it the locomotive were built by Mitsubishi?

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

This is a "nerds can't do s***" thread in disguise.

oh well, guess we're gonna have to get used to meritocracy.