1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long Do We Have To Wait for a Decent PG and a Big Man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EGYPT, Dec 1, 2008.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Oodles of quality big men? Excluding Yao, how many of them could start for another NBA team?

I'm not trying to diss anyone but think about it..Bynum-Gasol-Odom, Oden-Aldridge-Fry, Oberto-Duncan-Kurt Thomas, Okur-Boozer-Millsap, Chandler-West-Armstong-Ely, Nene-KMart-Birdman...

I think we have decent bigs but not outstanding bigs. The problem as I have always seen it is the lack of athleticism around Yao. Real "chemistry" is a function of varying the skill sets. Landry, Hayes and Dorsey are minor versions of the same theme. The Rockets need at least 1 weakside shot blocking big who can fill a lane on a break.

2. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

ab is doing great for us. But, yao have been decent.

3. killer instinct

As soon as we get over the "he's not as good as DREAM mentality."

As for the point guard, the guy everybody worshiped around here (SF) is a great bench warmer (endless BB IQ debates have validated many here) and this thread should have been made over 15 years ago and running.

A high draft pick would help but that's not happening.

4. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Dude, you try managing a team with significant cap restrictions, a shallow bench and a bunch of garbage contracts. DM gave us a deep team with three talented stars, and cap flexibility in 2010. He's not a real wizard, hes just a really bright GM. We've not had high draft picks, nor many trade assets. If he sees a beneficial move, he'll pull the trigger. Relax and have faith.

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Post of the day

6. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

if you read my original post again, I never blamed the current situation on Morey in particular this is a 10 year old problem at the PG and C positions. However, I can not say that I am happy about trading Gay and Batum either.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

That was not what your OP was about....

So again I ask the same ques..

So who do you suggest we get?

Who do we give up to get them?

Take in consideration that you have give up something to get something and also how will they affect the chemistry and flow of the team.

8. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Bob Sura if I remember correctly was also involved in the TMac trade and was not the focal point of any trade.

9. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

For Point I would take Hinrich or Bibby, or Nash even though thats a delusional dream. For Back up center we just need Deke back.

Tradeable players that we could let go of easily: Alston, Head, Dorsey, Francis, Hayes

10. T_Man

So you honestly think someone is going to trade Nash or Bibby for what you just offered.....

Come on guys let's get real with some of these suggestions.... No one is going to trade us a Benz or Lexus for a Kia or Hyundai...... Not going to happen.

11. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Not saying they would, but we can't let our main core go at this point because we have to much time invested in this team the way it is. Those guys I listed are the only one's I can see letting go without it making a huge impact on this team. Of course nobody would give us an all star for that garbage but if you look at the Haws payroll problems along with the Suns personal problems, sometimes deals can be had.

12. T_Man

Understandable.... But they are not going to be let go for a fire sale...

13. 1individual

1individual Member

Mike Miller. I'd trade Rafer + Head + Hayes for him. :D

14. DJNICK

DJNICK Member

How about Shane Battier, Rafer Alston, and Luther Head for Mike Bibby. You gotta give up something to get something.

15. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

16. Persianfoo

Persianfoo Member

Lets get stephon marbury

17. RiceNinja29

RiceNinja29 Member

yeah like we'll ever trade yao, get real, he's a money makin machine

18. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

I like Bibby but this is actually hurting us then helping considering what Battier brings to the team. Also with Bibby's contract I would guess we are going to stay far away from him

19. Dei

Dei Member

6'8.5; 6'7.75, without - actually just a little undersized.

Our best hopes of getting a genuine, long, bruising PF is Scola getting a few pounds of muscle. He's 6'9 in FIBA measurements (w/o shoes), so he should easily push around 6'10" or even 11". He'd be killer if he could augment his finesse with some strength moves.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

PG is this team's biggest weakeness. Rafer is horrible. There's no other way to spin it. This team has only one playmaker (I won't count Steve Francis) and that is T-Mac who is often injured. Outside of him, there are no real playmakers on this team (no Aaron Brooks is not a playmaker). This is why this team needs a decent pg. Two of Rafer's biggest weaknesses (of which there are many) are magnified on this team, because of the lack of playmakers. Rafer is not a playmaker. So if your pg isn't a playmaker, he should at least be able to hit open shots like a Derek Fischer, but Alston can't do that either. Basically, the Rockets are going to be fighting a difficult uphill battle with Rafer starting and seeing a lot (more than 20 mpg) of mins at the pg spot. He's a freaking And1 player and time has proven he hasn't been able to make the transition to becoming a good NBA player. As Charles Barkley would say: He's just turrible.