1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by London'sBurning, Nov 30, 2008.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just upgraded from XP to Vista Ultimate Edition, and the upgrade is giving me hell. I'm at one big download update right now which will hopefully be the last of any problems right now. Spent the past hour trying to get it run in safe mode, and after video driver uninstall, it seems like its working out alright.

My one problem right now though is I have my video card split to my TV and my monitor. It's caught on mirror desktop on my monitor, and it won't let me uncheck the box to make it only visible on my monitor instead of monitor and TV.

Any suggestions? I've unplugged the S-Video cable connected to TV as a quick solution. I do want to be able to mirror desktop on both when I want to watch movies, but not all the time is all.

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

People voluntarily "upgrade" to Vista????? :eek: :confused:

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

xp to vista is a downgrade. im running vista ultimate right now and i hate it.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Don't get me started. Video card on my 32-bit XP laptop died, and just got done migrating to 64-bit Vista. What I massive pain in the keister. How I long for XP...

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't believe how unstable this OS is -- especially when i'm using firefox; my system has plenty of power to run it all so it's puzzling.

:confused:

6. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

XP to Vista is Hakeem to Jarron Collins.

7. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Vista is pure crap unless you are running duo/quad core processors and atleast 3 gigs of memory.

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Bunch of haters. I've been running Vista since SP1 without problems.

Before SP1 is a different story ;)

Edit: Whether it's worth spending money to upgrade from 1a to 1b is a whole OTHER story too...

Vista currently is just a pretty XP.

#8 Miguel, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Fortunately I have an i7 processor and 3GB of RAM, but still... I wish for XP back.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

+ 1

SP1 did a good job of making it more stable, but if you are happy running the previous version, then dont bother.

for the record, I have had very few problems on the vista machines I personally am responsible for....but thats me. ;)

11. russian88

Vista is a resource hog, with way too many glitches. It's another attempt by MS to produce a fancy gui that fortunately caught your eye...

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and when you are tech types like me and Miguel, your fancy machines can handle the resource issue. :p

We dont get attracted to fancy GUIs, there are other reasons that get us to upgrade that may not be readily apparent to the average user.

13. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

What glitches?

Not saying that there aren't any...but what glitches are you talking about?

14. russian88

What reasons are that? You cant tweak the tcp/ip stack like you can in xp for instance. It's good for the average user with the latest componets, but a tweaked out xp machine is not only faster, but less of a resource hog.

#14 russian88, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm very happy with my Vista machine. If you got the horsepower to run it, it's a good operating system. I'm a web server admin so IIS 7 alone makes it the best OS out there to me. It allows me to test out many of my scripts and application compatibility from my desktop rather than having to login to one of our 2008 servers in order to do anything.

16. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

17. kikimama

kikimama Member

I use Vista, it's great besides the constant "allow" buttons I have to click. Otherwise, it's nice. I have 2.4 quad 2 core and 4G ram DDR2 but it only sees 3.2 of it.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I still use xp pro, but I think I'm ready to go back to my Vista Ultimate.

19. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i am waiting for windows 7.

beta 1 should be here in dec08/jan09.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have 2 gigs of RAM right now -- might max it out [4 gigs ?] to see if it improves.