1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AI Skips Out on Practice. "Hefty" Fine Forthcoming

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A_3PO, Nov 27, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

http://www.freep.com/article/20081127/SPORTS03/81127032

Iverson skips out on Pistons' practice

By CHRIS LAU
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

There was a noticeable absence at Pistons practice this morning in Auburn Hills: Allen Iverson.

Iverson, who’s been a Piston for less than a month, has a history of bad behavior, including not showing up for practice.

After Wednesday night’s 110-96 victory over the Knicks, he was one of many players who grumbled when coach Michael Curry decided to hold practice on Thanksgiving morning.

Iverson was the only no-show today. He will be fined an undisclosed amount and won’t start Friday night against the Milwaukee Bucks at the Palace.

Curry will decide during the game whether Iverson plays.

“I’m surprised when guys are late; I’m surprised when they don’t show,” Curry said. “It’s a pretty hefty fine to be late, or to miss, and once again, it’s accountability for yourself and your teammates.”

Rodney Stuckey will start in Iverson’s place against the Bucks.

2. jaykay

jaykay Member

Practice? We talkin bout practice?!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AB1UrcIn9bo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AB1UrcIn9bo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. The Bird

The Bird Member

I'm just saying i wouldn't show up either

4. tofu--

tofu-- Member

We talking 'bout practice?

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not just practice, but practice on Thanksgiving?!?

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm talkin' about Turkey man!!! What Superstar player you know doesn't eat turkey?

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Oh god not this again.

Deja Vu-all over again.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

yeah i wouldnt show up either. im mutha effin AI. i dont need practice

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Iverson on Saturday: "The most important thing is getting more practice time."

The practice was specifically for him to get more in tune with the rest of the team. Him skipping it is a slap in the face of each of his teammates.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

That's the thing. This is really just a dispute w/ the coach, but if you're a teammate who showed up at practice (as did everyone else) that's how I would feel about it. You may hate the coach for calling it, but you owe it to your teammates at least.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What kind of knucklehead coach calls for practice on a major holiday...

Good for Iverson -- I didn't go to work today either.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think the Texans practiced this morning for the first time since the Browns game. :D

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

You talk about practice, only practice ?

14. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

A.I. = DIVA

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think there's a fair amount of teams in other Pro Sports leagues that practice on major holidays. I know in England, EPL teams have practice on Christmas day!!! That sux horribly, no matter how well compensated you are.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Oh, is anyone really surprised at this? I like AI but this is like nothing new.

I doubt we would hear of Billups missing practice on Thanksgiving day if he was in that situation. Just different kind of guys.

17. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Michael Curry is trippin, NBA players rarely get to spend time with their family during the season and to have practice on Thanksgiving....
    I wouldn't have shown up either.
    Dumb Rookie Coach lol

18. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

If I was making even just a million dollars a year I would be there all day on Turkey day I don't care what my family says I'm getting paid. These guys are so out of touch from living these luxurious lifestyles they don't even care about getting fined or doing something stupid that may hurt their team. The way the Pistons have been playing right now especially with a new point guard they all should be practicing on their days off just to get mesh with each other and get things figured out. Of course that sounds all to easy to do when you got a bunch of selfish players on a team.

19. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Plus I don't think A.I respects rookie coaches.
    Didn't he bash Chris Ford for benching him back in Philly a few years ago?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I am surprised. I question Michael Curry on this, but I would expect AI to show up and be a team player on his new squad. This will further alienate him from Curry and the other players.

I'm still confident everyone on the Pistons will suck it up and they'll have a decent season. As stated in another thread, AI won't make any friends there but I believe everyone will learn to play together eventually. If he pulls a couple more stunts like this, oh well.

OT: Did anyone else notice Curry and Rip Hamilton seemed a bit ticked off at each other walking off the court after they were blown out by the T-Wolves?