1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Evidence that Hakeem and Akeem whipped Jordan's Bulls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I love this one!! I also felt that the Bulls would struggle against the Rockets.
    BTW, where is Mr. Sefko these days??

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This was hilarious!! :D

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

Carmichael, all's you've stated is fact. Sure. But you have yet to admit the Rocket's posed matchup problems for the Bulls during the Bulls championship years.

You can say we went 2-2 against the Jordan less Bulls all you want, and that is a valid point that I recognize. But you STILL REFUSE to mention the other loads of games during the Rocket's and Bulls prime (the first one at lesat) where the Rocket's DOMINATED Jordan and his CHAMPIONSHIP Bulls.

The fact taht the Rocket's didn't make the finals those year is irrelevant. This isn't a Rocket's v. Supersonics or whoever thread.

This thread is responding to the disrespect most uneducated people have about the Rocket's championship years because Jordan wasn't there. We merely want everyone to know is that sure, he wasn't there (although he was in 95' he just couldn't make it because he ran into the Magic...who we KILLED) but that even if he was we would have had a legitimate shot. May have even been FAVORED because of the CONSISTENT PROBLEMS WE GAME THEM!

You have still yet to acknoledge this constatnly pointing to the late 90's and ignoring the earlier years. Well you know what? The Rockets last year DOMINATED the Bulls. ROCKET'S WIN! JORDAN WOULD HAVE LOST!

See how asanine that is? That's what your saying when you even mention the later Rocket years. They are not the topic of discusion.

4. jedicro

jedicro Member

And since carmichael's only valid point he's made so far is the 2-2 record against the Bulls during the Rocket's championship years I decided to look into it. See what exactly happened that caused those victories and losses. In any given game there are any number of variables which is why the season is so long. Anyways, here are the box scores for all four games.

First the Rocket wins.

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1993&b=19931123&tm=HOU

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1994&b=19941117&tm=HOU

In both of these games Olajuwon got his scoring with 28 and 29 points. He also got strong support from the rest of the team. On the opposite side the Bulls got very inconsistent play from their starters shooting 38% in both games.

Now for the Rocket losses.

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1994&b=19950122&tm=CHI

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1993&b=19940115&tm=CHI

Almost the exact opposite from the other games. Houston as a team was very inefficient shooting 33% and 40% while the Bulls shot well both times. Hakeem also inexplicably had one of the worst games of his career. Clearly an aberration as against the exact same competition he dominated in the other games.

What does all this tell me? Inconsisent performance resulting in insufficient data. Saying "AHA! Add Jordan and the Bulls when those games!" is a faulty assertion because the play of both teams was erratic in those games. Who knows what would've happened. So what do you do when data is insufficient? You get more.

Luckily there is more to the tune of about 5 or 6 seasons of matchups during the first three Bulls championships and beyond.

Based off of the entire body of work from the early 80's through the Rocket's championship years it is UNDENIABLE that the Bulls had NO answer for Hakeem outside of that one freak game.

What's the whole point of this? If the Rocket's had faced the Bulls in the Finals they would have still had a great chance of winning. Not a guarentee of course, that's why we play the game. However based on the given information, reducing the Rocket's championships to merely being good when Jordan wasn't there is both stupid and ignorant.

And pointing out that last, undeniable fact is the whole point of this thread and argument.

5. TraocyMcMingy

TraocyMcMingy Member

i like houston, but you are all blind homers right now. i have seen hakeem play, i have seen the old rockets play, and they are not close to the bulls. please stop embarrassing yourselves. you are all being homers right now. they same people saying hakeem rox are better than jordans bulls are the same people who said stromile swift could be an all star here. i like rockets fans, but we overrate our players. some of you probalby still think t-mac and yao will have a dynasty

6. TraocyMcMingy

TraocyMcMingy Member

you can always tell which team was better than the other. yall are sitting here hating on the bulls debating that your rox were better. i guarantee there is no chicago bulls msg board anywhere in the world where they are discucssing if there bulls were better than hakeems rockets. you know why? because they all know they were better, so theres no need to discuss it.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets were to the Bulls, what the Sonics were to us............

until we got Charles!

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's no need for you to be a Rockets fan either.

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

tinman - you rock.

i have no idea who this carmichael dave guy is but i hakeem was the ****. jordan knew it and thats all the matters i guess.

carmichael dave - have some respect for the hakeem the dream man. and by respect i mean... bow down.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

carmichael dave is our guest, he's a sacramento sports talk radio host, kinda like a steve a smith/jim rome guy. he's a big kings fan and doesn't like the fact the horry laker 3 is shown over and over like a toyota saved by zero commercial.

oh txppratt you pointed out something that is very true. here's my evidence:

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: FRI 01/29/1993
    Section: Sports
    Page: 1
    Edition: 3 STAR

Rockets stop Bulls, Jordan/Defense keys 94-83 victory

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

Rudy Tomjanovich was ecstatic after what might become one of the most important victories of the season. Michael Jordan was slumped in disappointment.

Yet they reflected on the Rockets' thorough 94-83 slamming of the Chicago Bulls on Thursday night, and came up with the same analysis.

"We were very focused and very intense," said the Rockets' coach. "I just wish we could be that way against some of the sub-.500 teams. If we could, we'd be sitting up there with a great record right now."

Countered Jordan, "Maybe if they played us every night, they would have a better record."
    [​IMG]

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

No, it's because they never have to deal with anyone discrediting their titles, let alone ignorant smart asses doing it every_single_time_they're_brought_up.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm bringing this thread back for educational purposes.

Yes, Rockets vs Bulls never happened in the playoffs.

But Rockets vs Bulls happens every year.

Here is the recap of what happened, not what if had happen

what happened.

thank you.

Also here's Clutch's article:
    http://clutchfans.net/news/1549/rudy_t_reflects_on_rockets/

On the Rockets vs. Bulls debate

I finally got a chance to talk to Michael Jordan years [later] over at Barkley's house and he thought that the best matchup they would have had during that era was against us because of the way Max used to play him and how our big guys used to dominate their inside.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Isn't this common knowledge?

The MerGady fans are gone (save for maybe 1 or 2) and the Yao Ming fans are still on vacation. There's no one left to preach this to.

Jordan = did not want to meet Dream in the finals.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Nothing is common knowledge anymore here.

15. amaru

amaru Member

Who is this MerGady person you speak of? Is he a center? :confused:

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Yet someone saw fit to rate the thread 4 stars or lower.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

you can find these people on the thread.

These are real games that really happened and these were the results.

No what ifs cause that's dumb, it's what if hot tub time machine.

Alot of people hate what is real, and prefer to live in world based on assumptions and hypothetical situations.

This is just a summary of what had happened. It doesn't change history.

For my personal opinion, the later Bulls teams with Dennis Rodman were much better than the early Bulls teams with Grant and Cartright.

The early 90s Rockets > late 90s Rockets

Anyone who watches a game at any period in time, in this case, Rockets vs Bulls, and if you root for the Bulls, then that's logically saying you aren't a Rockets fan. Cause Rockets fans root for the team that says Houston Rockets.

PERIOD.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Unfortunately, this is not common knowledge, :( people still believe he was overrated, and that he didnt deserved his DPOY award :rolleyes:

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

ah. the annual thread is back. dam this off-season.

20. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Yeah, it only took three years in a row to finally figure out and overcome the Pistons. They did an awesome job of that.