1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Battier/Gay trade still bother/frustrate/infuriate you to this day?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Jun 4, 2008.

?

Does it still bother you?

1. Deeply

134 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Slightly

175 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. I didn't mind the trade

170 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. I'm glad the deal was made

272 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

And some of you guys actually wanted Stro Swift. :rolleyes:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=96047

2. acjeitherocket

it woulda been nice to have Roy...sighs...

3. killer instinct

NO.......DRAFTING DREAM INSTEAD OF MJ was worse.

4. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Who needs Roy when we have HEAD!!!

5. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Like you said, Battier averaged 15 ppg his rookie year for a bad Grizzlies team. Doesnt that kinda sound familiar to what Gay is doing for a bad Grizzlies team. Its easier to score and put up offensive numbers on bad teams. Anyone who thinks Gay would have the same impact on the Rox as he does on the Grizz is way off.

Secondly, you say Battier isnt worth the 8th pick and Stro. You fail to mention, Stro wasnt an addition to the trade to make Memphis bite. He was added as a benefit to the Rox to dump his contract and get rid of him.

Also, the Grizz being swept in the playoffs a few times didnt stop the Lakers from wanting Gasol and that turned out okay for them. And the Celtics wanting Garnett despite his playoff failures (all but one time it was a first round elimination) didnt turn out too bad either.

6. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I want Yao and TMAC to win a ring. For this, BATMAN is the correct choice.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to be fair no one had any idea he would have a r****ded bball IQ and complete lack of work ethic. I mean, look at that body! Doesn't that scream "gym rat" and "hard worker" to you? He even had Tmac fooled, Tmac actually promised to make him an all-star lol.

And I think its been discussed before but the main reason why the trade was kinda' bad was because Battier by himself was not worth Rudy Gay, even taking Stromile into account (and especially when other people didn't really know how bad he sucked). They really should have gotten a draft pick, a TE or something more aside from Battier in exchange. Too bad Morey wasn't the GM then, he probably would have gotten us Mike Miller as well :D

8. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Did you actually forget the season (2005-06) in which those two played a lot was due to the excessive injuries that plagued the Rockets? JVG's hand was forced--he had to play all kinds of different players that he wasn't even planning to play when the season started.

I'll tell you one thing, if V-Span had joined the Rockets prior to the start of that season instead of the following season, he would have played a lot more than he ended up playing during the following season. I do think it is possible that he would not be back playing in Greece now.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Battier is on the decline and he definitely didn't help us "win now." As a matter fact, he's only had 1 good playoff game his entire career. Rudy Gay is by far the better player and this gap in talent between him and Battier will only increase as Shane is on a downward slope as far as his playing abilities go. This team doesn't have athletic players who are pure scorers and Rudy is just that type of player. Bottom line is that it was a horrible trade and the Rockets got raped by the Grizzlies. The Rockets would be a much better team with Rudy Gay now than they ever will be with Battier. But I understand that there is a strong Battier, Hayes, and Alston cult on this board where mediocrity reigns supreme.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Rudy Gay I agree talent wise and potential wise he is WAY BETTER than Battier will ever/has ever been.

On the Rockets though, Gay would get 10-15 minutes a game and probably would have been unable to have huge impact. We have key players, we need role players. That is why people like Landry flourish because he accepts that role.

Gay would have been so out of place in Houston because he would be a superstar waiting to happen playing a role player's role.

ALSO notice how much better Gay has gotten, that is because he has been able to play 38 min per game AND take as many stupid shots as he wants AND ability to make as many mistakes as he could make with no consequences. Do you think on a team trying to win it all, they would allowed him as a rookie to do this? NO WAY.

Just get over the trade, if you should be mad at anyone, be mad at Boston for trading the #7 pick to Portland for basically telfair straight up. Not only was that trade horribly one sided, but it cost Houston Brandon Roy.

Imagine: Roy, Tmac, Yao, Artest, Scola. Now that is a starting 5.

11. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

Posey is a very good defensive player now and he can also make big 3s. however, it was not the case back then when he was in Houston, i think you might to have mention this to avoid confusion ;)

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I don't regret it as of now (short term) but I'm sure I will regret it in a couple of years. Anyways, we want to win now, so its just like the Artest trade, its a win now trade. We are not building.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not to nit pick or anything but if I remember right it was Minnesota that traded picks with Portland so that they could pick up Randy Foye.

14. WillG

WillG Member

Ive seen rudy play and hes really not all that. IMO OJ mayo is better than him already

15. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

For the love of everything let it go!!!

16. Stray_Dog

Stray_Dog Member

I figure this will be the season for Battier to show his worth.

During the last year of JVG we trotted out a starting line up of Rafer, Battier, and Hayes. Honestly, outside of Tmac and Yao who was going to score? Seeing Gay who could contribute to the scoreboard really makes us regret the battier trade.

Now we have a tmac who needs less minutes with artest. Battier can spot one or the other for significant time so we can decrease our risk for injury. With Battier off the bench, he's not asked to shoulder some offensive, all he has to do is keep the D going until our offensive team is rested up for another attack.

We wanted gay for offense and during the JVG era that was what we badly needed. Now, not so much

17. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I think he would have had just as much success w/ the Rockets. Adelman is a great coach for young guys and he would have had T-Mac and a verteran team to help him make the transition. You can't compare Battier to Gay because their so different. Gay has all the physical tools to become an all-star scorer and defender in the league, Battier wasn't blessed with those gifts but he does have a high BB IQ.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You know what... You're right. After a long time of hating this decision no matter who pulled the trigger I've come to believe that this has made us a better team now.

It was a win now move that didn't help us win then, but how I look at it with the aquisition of the rest of the talent; AB, Scolandry, Ron, etc. this team is ready to win now. So I finally say yes this was a good move for us now all we have to do is sit back and wait for the playoffs.

19. jackie_moon23

jackie_moon23 Member

Yes it was a good move. It was a very good move...let it die PLEEEEASE.

20. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

His numbers are up there because he takes the most shots on that team! There is no way that JVG would have started that kid