1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's touches against Heat (11/24/08)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Nov 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

wow cool! Even Yao would be proud on looking that chart! :)

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah I forgot someone had actually documented Yao's touches before me :rolleyes: . When guys where crying about shots, someone decided to explain to people shots and touches are 2 different things.

Theres the Big Mac and the Big Mic :p

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Since you said Camby isn't a good defender, I want you to chart the blocks,charges, contests and misses based on him jumping at a play. Also, how many does his man score.

4. rznqp

rznqp Member

Ah..... Because my poor English, I can not understand it clearly,but , thanks all the same.

5. rocket3forlife2

Rockets should hire you.

6. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

finish stronger, more dunks plz yao.

7. frank2030

frank2030 Member

I really like to see this.

8. frank2030

frank2030 Member

Me too.I'm a Chinese,and you?

9. djimi

djimi Member

damn....u sound like Morey(the stats man). anyway, i think this is the way to go, our offense should revolve around Yao and if Yao is aggressive enough, this team is gonna make a lot of noise. Passing it to Yao just creates a lot of options which other team defense will find it hard to adjust

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

CCR does defensive charting of NBA games in his spare time for some web site. This isn't some completely new thing for him. It's a bit insulting for you to imply he's merely been a "fan", and only now he's starting to become a "student". He knows basketball.

11. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yup. The ball should be moving--a healthy possession is one where just about every Rocket touches the ball.

The real value of charts like this may be as an indication of the overall health of the motion offense.

One more thing, it might be useful to indicate how Yao got the ball. There's been a couple of games where the team hasn't been able to get the ball in to Yao and a lot of his touches/scoring have come off of offensive rebounds.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

When charting there's always some extra bit of information that could be included, but the more detail I include the more time it consumes. I don't want to chart this stuff at the expense of enjoying the game.

That said, I've got a column on there to indicate which of his touches were the result of an offensive rebound.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Can we stop with the swinging d1cks "I know bball more then you" crap?

leebigez, you're a legend in your own mind. I've read enough of your posts to make that conclusion.

I've always wanted to do something like this to shut the Yao apologists up with their "Why isn' Yao getting the ball more?" whining when they only concentrate on shot attempts stats. Yao gets forcefed the ball way more then the casual fan realizes.

14. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

How many times does Yao handle the ball compared to McGrady? The bottom line is that Yao should be touching the ball on almost every Rockets possession for two reasons:

1) He's the inside part of the inside-out offense.
    2) The Rockets are supposed to be playing some kind of motion offense where the ball gets passed around.

The critical issue isn't Yao's total number of touches--it's the percentage of Rockets possessions where he gets his hands on the ball. There's no question in my mind that Yao should be getting the ball on almost every single Rockets possession. The Rockets look a lot better when the run the offense through Yao.

15. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No prob, I'm more than happy with the chart as it is.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What kind of of touches are you meaning when it comes to TMac? As a primary ballhandler and a primary facilitator of the offense, of course Tmac is going to handle the ball more. As the primary focal point of the offense and the offense flowing through him, everyone should notice that it's not going through TMac as much, due in part to his slow recovery from injury and having Artest now, and some might say he's just not as good as before.

I'm curious as to why you brought up TMac when I didn't initially.

As for your second part, I thought the chart is suppose to prove what you're trying to say. In other words, tell me something I don't know.

I guess I'm just not understanding what's the reasoning behind your reply as you're saying things that I already know.

17. choujie

choujie Member

That's not true. Yao wasn't getting the ball nearly enough until recently. Go back to watch the relplay, not many plays ran for him during a long stretch. He was completely ignored in the 4th quarter against Spurs. That's when the "whining" came out, and rightfully so. Yao didn't get more than 10 shots against Wizards either, but nobody whined, because they ran plays for Yao, and the result was obviously in favor of Rockets.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Spurs game is an aberration. We had the lead pretty much in the 4th quarter and throughout the game figured we tried to incorporate others like Brooks and Wafer into the offense. Yao was being guarded by TD who isn't exactly chopped liver defensively. To have a meltdown in the latter minutes of the 4th against a depleted Spurs and then afterwards blame it on Yao not getting enough touches is picking straws of why we lost. There were many reasons why we lost.

Wasn't it brought it up in many threads that Yao was struggling early in the season, missing bunnies, dunks, not getting rebounds, still recovering from whatever ailment, not being in game shape yet, just not looking right? If many of us noticed that, then maybe that's why the ball wasn't going enough to him. I'd be hesitant to throw the ball into him too if I saw him struggling.

19. choujie

choujie Member

the "whining" came out from Spurs game.When Yao was playing bad before that, people were blaming Yao, not asking for more touches for him. Spurs games was just an example of Rockets players went too selfish and eventually got themselves burned.

The "aberration" thing is just a poor excuse. Spurs games is far from the only one. For example the Blazers game, basiclly no play is ran for Yao in 4th quarter, and he was ignored right under the basket with his man sealed for at least twice. Yao got the ball in Rockets' last possesion and got a 3 point play, but that play was not designed for Yao, they had nowhere to go. They were not utilizing Yao correctly. It's more like players fault than RA's, but RA gave them too much freedom.

Eveybody can have bad stretches, Yao's bad stretch isn't any worse than Tmac's. For superstars, you just have to trust him and let him play through it.

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

T-Mac is obviously going to be the only legitimate alternative to Yao in the "guy who gets the most touches in the Rockets offense" category, although I am beginning to think that Artest should maybe be placed in the running as well. It would be specious to compare Yao to somebody like Landry and say "Yao's getting more touches than Landry, so what's the problem?"

So far as T-Mac goes he should not be getting the same number of touches as Yao. Again, Yao's the inside part of the inside-out offense. He should be touching the ball almost every single trip the Rockets take down to the opponent's basket. I've argued for a while now that the Rockets should run their offense through Yao. Check out what Blinebury wrote at the Chronicle about last night's game and the improvement in the Rockets' offense when they exploit Yao Ming.