1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[music] Kanye West's:808's & Heartbreak

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Nov 24, 2008.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I picked up my copy today at Best Buy and just have to say that I am really impressed with this album. When I first learned that the great majority of this album was going to be done with a vocoder(T-Pain effect), I was skeptical but was I ever wrong. If you're looking to buy this album and expect good rap well expect to be disappointed. It could not be farther from that. Instead, this album delivers a more dark tune of music where West has taken the opportunity to let out all the emotional struggles he's been through in his life. Truly expanding his musical range, West has has created a great piece of "art" as he likes to put it.

Well those are my thoughts on the album and I just want to see what everyone here thinks on the album itself and not Kanye's arrogant, selfish, cocky attitude that so many people like to point out. :D

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I was just going to start a thread on this myself...

Still giving the album a first listen as I type this, and so far, I'm really liking it. It's something totally different; give it some time, and I think it might be a classic in a few years (a la Common's "Electric Circus" -- it got terrible reviews when it first came out, but people really appreciate it now for bringing something different to the table).

This ends the debate of Chicago being at the top of the hip hop game.

Game over.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

its weird. don't really like the vocador on EVERYTHING. his first is still the best.

4. conquistador#11

declaring yourself the voice of the generation is not being cocky at all.
    I will try to download some of the new tracks. =)

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

It's ok. I loved Graduation, I think it's his best record so far. I appreciate what he's trying to do with 808 but I can't listen to the whole record straight, it starts to get annoying.

6. stevesazninvazn

Horrible. Just horrible. I can't believe I just spent 3 and a half minutes listening to Heartless. Ugh. Rap is dead... P.S. Kanye needs to shut up and go home, he is not a good rapper. A pretty decent producer, yes, but rapper? Hell no.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I heard on the radio this morning that this is nothing like his prior albums so if you're a fan of those then you might just not enjoy 808s.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Awful album -- awful.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Nothing but PURE CRAP. Glad I downloaded it for free instead of giving this guy my money. Egotistical, self absorbed idiot who's making nothing but crap albums lately.

Enjoy sinking into anonymity, weirdo.

10. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

I was pretty upset at first but the more I listen to it the more I like it.

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's like I said in my OP, if you're expecting something like the College Dropout, LR, or Graduation, then you will be really disappointed. THIS IS NOT RAP. It's more pop than anything.

12. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Love Lockdown, Heartless, and Welcome to Heartbreak are my favorite songs. So far it's getting blasted on Amazon, even by Kanye fans. Those three songs are pretty good/catchy , the rest are so so.

13. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm a big fan when rappers switch their styles...or just try new things....(ex Andre 3000)

Welcome to Heartbreak is my favorite song...(would make a great song for a T-Mac mix :( )

I love the whole album...I just wish he could have left Young Jeezy and Lil Wayne out of it....

This may not exactly be a rap album...but it's still a very good one.

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Thumbs down.

15. JD2010

JD2010 Member

alot of kanye fans are disappointed.
    i myself haven't listened to it but I'm not a big fan of the robotic autotune sound.

16. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

RoboCop, Amazing, Street Lights :cool:

I like it, seems nobody here does tho

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

You have to appreciate what he's doing by taking this new direction. Rap fans won't like this, but music fans will. Appreciate the creativeness of this album. A classic by my standards.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Kanye West is creative and ambitious. He thinks about music as a competition instead of just doing what he does best. I think he had good intentions when he made the album but he forgot one thing.

He can't sing.

An album full of Kanye West singing, sucks. I'd also like to reiterate that he does not use vocoder neither does T-pain. He just sings poorly and tries to cover it up with Auto-tune. I like Kanye but the album would probably have been better if he would have just produced it for someone else.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This is a good album. I like how Kanye is willing to try new styles and new sounds. I recommend it.

20. The Drake

The Drake Member

Something tells me...your prediction may be a little off...