1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has Adelman changed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fmullegun, Nov 23, 2008.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

But he got the opportunity because we were playing like crap at the time. We were hovering around 2-3 games below .500, Tmac was injured off and on. Scola was very inconsistent and Hayes was Hayes, so why not give Landry time? If we were winning 2/3rds of our games no way Landry gets time.

2. adoo

adoo Member

thank you for coorborated with my claim that he choked. if u had to ask Webber to do it over again, he would stick to Horry, cos he was nowhere close to the rebound.
    Vlade was contesting the Rebound. Webber was nowhere close for the rebound

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

what about we lost because we had no bench.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

It'd be questionable that Jeff would actually play Landry. More than likely or not, he would have signed Oakley to another 10 day contract and play him.

And like I said earlier, there were interviews (a lot from Jack) where the coaching staff has said that Landry has surprised a lot of them and just needed some practice under him before getting playing time.

Adoo... I am completely confused. I have asked why you are ignoring a good part of people's post, yet you have not answered and you are still doing it.

Just answer this part for me.

Is losing two first round series, up 2-0 not a choking job? If we were up 2-0, there was no way our talent was far below theirs.

Game 7, losing to Dallas by 40, is that not a chocking job? When Dirk may have been on fire, but what about our two stars. Weren't they just as capable as Dirk? Why didn't neither of them get on fire? Or did they choke?

Against the Jazz, the last few minutes we couldn't get a rebound. Was that a choking job by Yao Ming who missed some rebounds? Was that a chocking job by Tracy who missed a wide open 3 pointer? And we were at home as well...

Answer these parts and don't ignore of them. Just quote the whole thing instead of little by little and leaving out the same key points you have ignored.

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

that's a perfectly reasonable explanation of why the rockets lost. you can argue the rockets overachieved in getting a 2-0 lead at all, and that losing the series was inevitable.

but tell me why does that logic only apply to jvg's rockets but not to adelman's teams? adelman's kings lost bc the lakers team had the 2 best players in the league in their prime and got a lucky bounce. is that any less of a reasonable explanation of the loss in that series than the rockets lacking a bench, therefore they lost to the mavs?

you can always find an explanation for why a team lost after the fact. singling out one of those explanations and saying that's the reason jvg isn't a choker, while ignoring the same kind of excuses that can be made for adelman and labeling him a choker, is completely inconsistent. i don't know if you and adoo are arguing the same thing, but the argument adoo is making is completely illogical. adoo picking one excuse for losing (dirk catching fire) or you pointing out that we didn't have a bench, is no different than someone arguing adelman's teams lost because they were just playing against jordan/shaq + kobe, better teams, or the refs helped out the lakers, or horry caught a lucky bounce, etc. you're making an exception because it fits your argument, not because its a logical result of your argument.

bottom line, unless you're going to argue that the blazers were a better team than jordan's bulls, or the kings were a better team than the lakers team that had the 2 best players in the league, you can't argue that adelman's teams "habitually choke."

6. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Its not questionable, its certain. I'm not disagreeing that JVG wouldn't have played Landry, but saying that Adelman under normal cercumstances wouldn't either.

I don't know the official definition of a choke job, but IMO a choke job is when one team has an overwhelming probability to win something and lose. Golden State beating the Mavs 67-win team was a mavs choke job. The 5th seed Rockets being up 2-0 against the 4th seed Jazz and losing the series isn't a choke job. I know there is that statistic around that says that 95% of the time if you are 2-0 you win the series, but 80% of the time said team is a 1st seed playing an 8th seed or a 2nd seed playing a 7th seed. I bet if you restricted it to the 4th-5th seed matchup, you will find that the probability is much closer to 2/3rds, which isn't a choke job IMO.

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

id say thats a very good definition of a choke job. which is exactly why i wouldn't call adelman's 57-25 blazers losing to jordan's 67-15 bulls a choke job. nobody has an overwhelming probability of winning against that good a team. in fact, its more likely than not that you will lose against that team.

nor would i call adelman's kings losing to the shaq + kobe lakers a choke job.

but somehow for adoo, both of those losses indicate habitual choking.

there is a stronger argument that the rockets losing against the mavs and jazz with a 2-0 lead was a choke job precisely bc of the stat you cited, but i wouldn't call it a huge choke job. just a regular choke in the sense that probability wise, the rockets should have won. adelman's losses are either not choke jobs at all, or are choke jobs, but no worse than jvg's. i don't see how anyone can logically argue otherwise.

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Thats like how people say Tmac can't get out of the first round for some mysterious reason. Or... it could be that out of the 10 playoff series' he's lost, he's only been a favorite in 1 of them and that was the Utah series where we went to 7 games and we lost.

9. adoo

adoo Member

the queens lost because they choke under pressure.

in both games, they were leading the lakers in the waning minutes. Adleman's coaching style is such that his player choke under pressure.

in one game, no one wanted to shoot for fear that they'd miss.

several game later, in the same series, with his team leading by 2 with less than 10 seconds to go, the pressure got to Webber, who decided to help out with the rebound when his man was near half court.

you don't see the Spurs, LAker, Celts, Bad Boy Piston, or Bulls making bone-head mistakes in the critical moments of playoff games. but Adelman's Queens, under pressure, choked twice in a series.

victory was in their hands, Adelman's Queens choked twice in a 7-game series.

10. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

I love Landry because his passion and dunks, and still his front tooth :D

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

You've said the same thing over.

Answer these questions, that you have CONTINUOUSLY IGNORED.

Adoo... I am completely confused. I have asked why you are ignoring a good part of people's post, yet you have not answered and you are still doing it.

Just answer this part for me.

Is losing two first round series, up 2-0 not a choking job? If we were up 2-0, there was no way our talent was far below theirs.

Game 7, losing to Dallas by 40, is that not a chocking job? When Dirk may have been on fire, but what about our two stars. Weren't they just as capable as Dirk? Why didn't neither of them get on fire? Or did they choke?

Against the Jazz, the last few minutes we couldn't get a rebound. Was that a choking job by Yao Ming who missed some rebounds? Was that a chocking job by Tracy who missed a wide open 3 pointer? And we were at home as well...

Answer these parts and don't ignore of them. Just quote the whole thing instead of little by little and leaving out the same key points you have ignored.

12. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

This is all silly talk. You can never honestly compare JVG and Adelman as far as the Rox go because their rosters are drastically different.

For everyone who says JVG didnt develop any young players, i point out Yao Ming. Yao was not a superstar by any means when JVG came in. Under JVG Yao became one of the best low post players in the world. If I remember correctly, Yao was in his second year when JVG became the coach, so if JVG never plays young players like so many people claim, how did Yao develop. He also took a rookie in Luther Head and turned him into a solid NBA player, probably a better player then most people thought he would be. Its under Adleman that Luther's game has disappeared. Not saying its RA fault, just pointing it out. Plus, tell me who these great players that JVG failed to develop were, Boki and Vspan?

Also, claiming JVG was somehow responsible for the Rox choking against Dallas and Utah is crazy. Was it his fault the Rox didnt get the last rebounds against Utah. Its not like he coached the players to be out of position on a long rebound. Was it his fault the officiating was so terrible in the Rox Mavs series? Those playoffs series were so close, it simply came down to a few bounces and they didnt go the Rox way. Besides, if you hate JVG for blowing those leads, how can you be behind Adelman when his team blew a 3-1 lead with a shot to go to the Finals.

I hope very much that RA has a lot more success in the playoffs then JVG. But even if he does, you can never give JVG a shot at the playoffs with Scola, Landry, Brooks, and Artest on the roster so comparisons are pointless.

13. fmullegun

yeah im not sure who you are quoting there but I said before I am only judging him on what he has done here.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People tend to forget one thing about Jeff Van Gundy and the whole "he hates rookies" deal:

Consider this Question: Who are the Houston Rockets' first round draft in 2003 and 2004, during the first two seasons in which Van Gundy coached and failed to play any rookies?

15. adoo

adoo Member

obviously :rolleyes:

the game of BB is not meant for everyone to understand. unfortunately, it appears that it is beyond your intellectual capacity. se le vie.

16. fmullegun

Adelman has Yao playing way to many mpg this year for reg season games.

Any argument that JVG wore out the starters is stupid. How many times did JVG make TMAC play 48 minutes in a regulation game?

17. fmullegun

the only rookies he ever had was Head and Hayes and both got a ton of minutes.

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

WOW! Are you serious? You ignore the whole post. And that is the only thing you can come up with? I am just curious on what you had to say, and then you insult me. Thanks! Very mature. :eek:

I'll just point out the things you have done in this thread.

1. Pointed out a misspelled word that I had typed, when you had mistyped words yourself. For example, your, you're, you. And you call my "intellectual capacity" low. At least my personal flaw is not hypocrisy.

2. You have ignored people's sentences and quote only a sentence or two out of a paragraph and comment.

Seriously? Just answer my questions that I posted twice, specifically for you.

19. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Adoo,

You really should go back to school and study english.

While depth is an argument (or an excuse for losing after being up 2-0), were the Jazz team really that deep either? I said in my first post that this is a reasonable excuse, but were the opposing teams even on the same page as the Bulls or Lakers that Rick's teams lost to?

I never said the Kings didn't choke. But Webber being away his guy with 5seconds left, as a big, and while the ball is being bounced at the rim is not choking. That's a mistake. And if Webber simply is willing to do it differently if he got a second chance makes it a choke-job, than you need help in understanding english moreso than I thought. Every player makes mistakes in every game. I'll let you think into it. I won't even explain it in detail for you.
    Hint: game-winners. Sometimes players make them, sometimes they don't. Guess what? Missing doesn't always mean they choked.

The Kings choked in game 7, in WCF Game 7, OT. JVG's Rockets score 80 points in their game 7s, in the FIRST ROUND.

You were ignorant when you said JVG's team never choked. And you still are.

20. ibm

ibm Member

how's that a mistake? if your man is near the half court and the time is winding down, you don't worry about him.

that play was not in anyway designed for horry. had divac held on to the loose ball instead of tipping it far away, they'd have won the game. that was just a lucky shot by horry hitting the lottery.

the lakers didn't deserve to win that year, anyway. the refs helped them too much. if anyone suspects it has to do with vegas spreads, i'd say it's not out of the reasonable.