1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attendance "woes?"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by edc, Apr 5, 2002.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

Interesting that the Rockets attendance malaise is spilling over to the Astros.

Granted, we are in a soft economy, the team still needs to prove itself, and prices are *significantly* up, but it is still a little troubling that Games 2 and 3 were both "only" in the 22K-range in attendance, each an all-time low for attendance at the ballpark.

I guess the question is, do you think attendance will pick-up, or will it sit at (roughly) Astrodome-levels from now until school lets out in six weeks or so?

2. Old School

Old School Member

This weekend will be a better test. They are playing a good team, the Cardinals, and it's a weekend so there are no "school night" excuses.

os

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It will pick up.

I posted on another board this morning that attendance hasn't been exactly stellar anywhere quite yet.

St. Louis is revered as an amazing baseball town. The Redbirds are the consensus pick to be the class of the NL this year. Game 2 and Game 3 of their series against Colorado failed to draw 30K fans, and they were both evening games I think.

Looking around at attendance figures, I see a lot of teams (even good teams) are being disappointed a bit at the gate.

And....ticket prices jumped big time here this year. I heard a guy call in on sportsradio the other morning saying his $25 tickets had gone up to $30. That's an increase of nearly $700 per ticket!!! He said he couldn't afford that, so he just got a mini-season package. I imagine he's not alone.

4. deepellumrocket

Hey, I read this somewhere earlier today. Do you post over at the official mlb Astros forum?

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Oakland has a good team and it looked like their stands were empty.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

nope..it was on this very site on a thread on this Texans, Astros, Comets board....you actually read it here!! sorry for repeating myself, but it just made more sense here than it did in the previous thread I posted! :)

7. deepellumrocket

Errg! You had me scrambling all over that other board trying to find the thread where I had read that. :mad:

;)