1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moises Alou out with strained calf

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RunninRaven, Apr 1, 2002.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just saw on ESPNews that Moises Alou left today's game with a strained calf. This could very well be a small injury, but it could be something that nags him as well. I don't know the seriousness of the injury, and I can't seem to find anything about it on the web. Just thought I would relay this info to Astros fans who might or might not have thought it was a mistake to let Alou walk.

2. Buck Turgidson

He's listed as day-to-day - doesn't sound too serious, but you never know. Who had Opening Day in the Moises Alou injury pool?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He also missed quite a bit of spring training with (I believe) a pulled muscle in his side (a different injury). He only played in 11 games and had 32 at bats.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in shock. ;)

5. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Gerry "Nostradamus" Hunsicker is amazing.

It seems everybody he lets go, gets injured. Meluskey, Elarton, and now Alou.

6. Major

Major Member

It seems everybody he lets go, gets injured. Meluskey, Elarton, and now Alou.

Keep in mind that all 3 of these players were hurt while they were here too. All had season-ending injuries as Astros (Elarton in 2001, Meluskey & Alou in 1999)

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Major -- you're right...but particularly with Meluskey, it was far worse after the fact....my understanding is that there was some question about how Meluskey's injury would affect HIS CAREER!!!

As for Alou...big surprise!!! This is exactly what a good number of us were expecting...he's had nagging injuries for the last three years, and he's not getting any younger...this should be expected. That's why you don't guarantee huge money to guys who are 37 years old!

8. deepellumrocket

Exactly. The Hun must be one smooth talker to be able pawn off his damaged goods like he does. Have you ever heard his show on 610. He's got such a even, soothing tone when he speaks I bet he hypnotizes other general managers when he gets them behind closed doors.

"You will give me Brad Ausmus for Mitch Meluskey. These are not the droids you're looking for."

9. red

red Contributing Member

bawahahahaha...excellent, excellent deep...

the next time i get pulled over for speeding, if that ever happens again, im gonna wave my hand in front of the officer and say "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

10. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Well, in the words of The Wolf, "Let's not go sucking each other's dicks just yet, gentlemen."

I don't think that The Hun smooth talked Detroit. Detroit made a calculated risk. Considering the current state of affairs on that team, an aging veteran catcher who specializes in defense will not likely aide them much in their quest to rebuild (which despite their poor success at rebuilding, they are in fact trying to do it). They traded a catcher that will never produce much offensively for a catcher with injury problems, but a high ceiling offensively if he ever gets over them.

If Meluskey manages to heal his shoulder (or whatever was injured), and he returns to his form pre-injury on the Astros, they will have won that trade easily (as far as value goes). If the Astros win the WS with Ausmus, it would be hard to argue that the Astros lost, but the Tigers certainly wouldn't have "lost", I don't think.

To sum up, I loved the move when it was made, I love it now, and I am glad Hunsicker did it. But I just don't think that it was as much Detroit being stupid as it was them taking a risk that they felt wouldn't hurt them too much if it didn't work out.

11. deepellumrocket

Uhh...yeah. :confused:

I was kinda just making a joke there. I don't remember actually saying or implying that Detroit was stupid. It was just on comment on how the Hun seems to trade players that are damaged goods. I didn't really think that he used the Jedi mind trick to unload Meluskey.

12. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I realized that, deepellumrocket. And if you actually thought that my response implied that I believed you were implying that Hunsicker really DID use the Jedi mind trick, then I guess I screwed up writing my post. I understood your joke, and in fact made one of my own. In saying that I didn't think Detroit was being stupid, I wasn't referring to anything you said. I was giving my own opinion. I was just saying that I don't really believe that Meluskey is as damaged a good as most people might think. When someone calls a player damaged goods, I think they mean he will never be able to compete because of injuries, or that said player is somehow tainted by an injury. Personally, despite his attitude problems of the past and his injuries, I still think in the end that the damaged goods will end up having a much better career than Ausmus.

It was also a good excuse to use the Wolf quote.

13. deepellumrocket

Alright, I gotcha Raven. It just that you quoted me, then started your post with a negative statement, so I thought you were disagreeing with me. I thought, "How can he disagree. It was just a joke." Anyway, who is the Wolf?

14. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

He was Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction. The guy that showed up after Travolta shot Marvin in the face in the car. He helped them to clean it up and dispose of the evidence.

15. deepellumrocket

Oh yeah, as in "Now keep up, because I drive real f***in' fast."

16. bobrek

In case anyone is interested, here is how Alou hurts his calf (which may very well put him on the DL), in his own words:

"He didn't discount having to go on the DL with an injury he said cropped up unexpectedly Saturday <b>''just standing around''</b> in a game against Arizona."

Complete link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub02.html

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

how come alou never seems to get hurt actually playing. it's always things like riding bikes, running on treadmills, and standing around that tear him up. and just make something up if you got hurt standing around. pretend you were saving someone from a fire or something.

18. bobrek

Or washing your truck....:)

19. Old School

Old School Member

So much for being listed "day to day"...he was just put on the 15 day disabled list. What a puss.

os