1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Significance of Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Nov 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DPballer

DPballer Member

Terrible. I guess our coaches and GM overblow Rafer too then.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I did not say Brooks played well, I said he was doing his job, he certainly struggled a bit, probably because he had to play double his minutes and had no backup in the 2nd half.

I am not blind to reality, I just recognize reality faster than most other people.

Rafer is a bigger problem than people realize, he is Tmac's crutch.

DD

3. DPballer

DPballer Member

Based on the logic you've been using, you seem way more of a casual fan than I am. No, having him doesn't guarantee wins, but there's no doubt we would be much better with him than without him in the playoffs. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't win at least one of the home games with him playing.

This new "crutch" logic you're using of late is even more silly. Like Battier, Rafer is an important glue player to the team. His ability is even more obvious, in that he runs the offense of the starting lineup. No player on this team can do it better than he can. His defense is a must with AB being a liability on defense.

4. Landlord Landry

[​IMG]

apparently, Duncan finds this quote amusing.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Ok, let's debate this then, lol. We all know Rafer can't shoot. He does have a nack for hitting clutch shots but regardless his percentages are terrible. No argument here. Do I think he's a good backup pg, yes. Could we find better options, doubtful (pg is a hard spot to fill and I want to see AB grow into the role). Can he anchor this team to a Championship (absolutely if the "big three" get their crap together)? Rafer is fine for this team. He's been in the league for a long time. He commands respect and knows the ins and outs of everything. He knows basketball and he is our pg not our problem. No team can start an All-Star at every position. You need a guy who is willing to defer to the others. When he was the third option we had no chance. Let's just see how this team develops though. He makes Tmac better because he knows how to set him up. He makes TMac better because there is mutual respect. Let me stop because we aren't talking about TMac (although I wish people would realize this isn't the same player and just adjust to it).

AB didn't do his job. He was 6-17 with 1 assist. How is that doing his job. On top of that he got schooled by George Hill. No need for excuses because AB is young and still has a learning curve. However, he is a great spark off the bench. He isn't a starting pg right now. That's the bottom line. Rafer is a better option to start right now. It's really not even debatable. I'm a Rockets fan first and foremost. So I look at what's best for the team.. I'm not trying to insult you, but you are the same guy who has defended the VSpan and Gerald Green's of the world. I'm far from a casual fan (I know that comment was not addressed to me and i also acknowledge you aren't either), but reality is reality at the end of the day

6. worzel gummidge

Trade him already, too many bone headed decisions that negatively effect the club.

The Significance of Rafer Alston? I think most can differentiate between the need for a starting PG and Rafer Alston.

7. DaDakota

It is hard to debate with people when they are making up facts.

AB had 3 assists to George Hill's 5

George played a bit better but neither player was that great with the score being 77-75.

I will not make snap judgements about AB's starting capabilities on one game, let's get a few more and then decide.

I like him off the bench too, but I don't believe Rafer is anything more than a backup PG.

Ask yourself an honest question, if you were playing a pickup basketball game, would you choose the guy that can dribble the ball up, or the guy that can knock down shots?

DD

8. DPballer

DPballer Member

How can you watch an entire game and not even come to the conclusion that George played a more than a "bit" better than Brooks? He was way more efficient and didn't turn the ball over.

9. DaDakota

I agree, he did play better, but AB did enough to win the game, and played a lot more time, I was at the game, you could see AB getting tired, and no help from a slow rotating Yao.

AB's job is to funnel his man to the big 7 foot 6" shot blocker and he did...Yao was slower than molasses in reacting.

Hill played a better game, no doubt, but AB was not blown away by a guy who scored 3 more points than him, and had a grand total of 2 more assists.

And AB had 8 rebounds....EIGHT.....because he was playing hard, you can not say that about the rest of the team.

AB did his job.....TMac coming in and taking the ball away from him was the problem, if AB continued to run the PG spot in the 4th quarter..the Rockets win....

Rafer might have been able to wave Tmac off, that would have helped, but AB is not there yet...though I hope he grows up fast...tonight will be a fun game to see.

DD

10. Landlord Landry

wow......you really have no idea what you are talking about.

11. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

If Rafer was playing and he shot 6/17 I'm sure we'd see 8 threads about his horrible game and how George Hill sliced him up.

If Stevie was playing and he shot 6/17 I'm sure we'd see 8 threads with everyone hugging his nuts about how great he played and how he's "The Franchise" again.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

AB reminds of what the spurs fans said about Tony Parker: he is everything except for a pg!

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

If Stevie was playing we probably would have won.

14. DaDakota

LOL - you do understand forcing your man to the middle away from the baseline, right?

That is the defense they were running last night, force your man to the middle away from the baseline.

Does that mean you let him waltz by you, well no, of course not, but it means if you get beat you are forcing them to your big shot blocker down low, and are able to challenge the shot.

You know...TEAM DEFENSE !!!

DD

15. DaDakota

Yeah, who would want a guy like Tony (3 rings) Parker running your PG position?

You don't need a typical pass first PG...not with Yao and Tmac, you need a guy who can hit some shots.

AB is fine for that role.....

DD

16. King1

I just made a mistake in reading apparently. I'm certainly not making up facts.

I'm not playing pickup basketball. This is the NBA. If I was playing pickup basketball I'd certainly pick the best playground player ever,lol. That makes no sense. I'd take Aaron Owens send too

17. Landlord Landry

why do you keep saying.......YOUR BIG 7 FOOT SHOT BLOCKER? when has Yao ever been a shot blocker, and then you are upset because you see Yao is slow to react?

what Yao Ming have you been watching for the past 6 years? now all of a sudden, you expect Aaron Brooks to get Yao to do things he never has?

18. King1

Didn't Rafer have 7 or 8 rebounds a night a game or two ago? Give me a break

Tonight will only be fun because I believe we can bounce back. if you think a guy who made George Hill look like an All-Star is going to contain Chris Paul then I want some of what you're smoking

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, after Hill replaced Parker at the starting pg position, the spurs have won more games! :D

I always believe that the spurs won the last 3 rings because of Manu and Duncan. With or without Parker, it wouldn't be different!

20. DaDakota

I never said Rafer didn't hustle, I was talking about TMac and others.

Rafer does play hard, EVERY game....I give him that, he plays hard and smart, he is just not good enough to start (check that...not good enough to finish) because of his putrid shooting.

DD