1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Suggestions?] Business Class Internet Providers in H-town

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyDave, Nov 10, 2008.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Years ago we signed up for SDSL (DSL that is symmetrical up and down speeds) with UUNET, who was then bought by WorldCom, who was then bought by MCI, who is apparently now owned by or in whatever way become Verizon.

Suffice to say, it's been too long since we shopped this around, and after having a complete falling out with Verizon due to some snafu regarding Covad, or tier of service, and the support I am (not) getting, I find myself ready to teach them a lesson, take the time to find other options and pull the plug on them.

We are a small business with meager on site web hosting and mail hosting requirements. Right now I have a large block of static IPs available, but a smaller amount would suffice. Basically I'm wondering if anyone else who's been in the position lately of shopping this stuff around could share experiences, as the wave of crap out there is daunting, and I don't want to make more trouble for myself than it is worth.

What I do know is this.... we pay too much for what we get, and Verizon has totally screwed the pooch on this one, whether it is due to Covad or whoever. After a regional outage last week, they called after it was resolved to "run tests".... and now they are suggesting, no demanding, that I call my "Account Rep" and have them downgrade my service because of a low "margin" that has never been a problem in the several years I've had the service. They replaced my router (can you say Firewall and filter set settings gone POOF) without any discussion and now the whole thing is creeping along, with the only excuse being that there's basically nothing that can be done. Unacceptable. Luckily, because we have never shopped it around since signing up, we are not under contract because they knew if they asked us to sign another one, we'd end up knowing we're overpaying (which we know, but the service has been good in the past, and switching things that you find acceptable just to switch often leads to regret for various reasons i find). what can I say, I'm a big proponent of "If it ain't broke" but ... well... now it is.

So, any advice/experiences/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The internet is dying. Get one of those new Fax machines and call it a day.

3. JD2010

JD2010 Member

4. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

How big of a pipe do you need?

5. CrazyDave

Well, I'd like to keep it where it was on the out/up, i.e. 768kbps, and at least that on the in/down... but honestly, with what we currently pay, i'm guessing for that we can do much better either in more bandwidth or savings. We shall see

We're a small place, but web/mail services need to at least be as good as in the past.

also, about 10 statics would fit the bill. I currently have 30.

So? any experiences/suggestions?

6. CrazyDave

I saw that today, actually. My concern is that, with Covad being the major subcontractor (is that the right term?) for much of the DSL in H-town, that I'd be in the same boat. Verizon has been ridiculous about all this, but I know they're getting their cues from Covad at this point.

I'm thinking mb DSL isn't the best option for me (anymore, for whatever stupid reason)... I could be wrong.

7. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Oplink has their own infrastructure, you just need to be in an ATT zone for service.

8. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Have you considered a DS1 type package (1.5 up/1.5 down)? It may be too pricey, but the support and uptime are way beyond that of typical DSL service providers. You will have an actual SLA. If you are interested, I can see what kind of deals we have (I work for AT&T). Please disregard if you're in Verizon territory.

9. CrazyDave

Yes, thanks, still looking into it, and I appreciate all the suggestions.

Additionally, anyone with experience with "CBEYOND"? :confused:

10. CrazyDave

Yes, actually it is exactly what I'm considering. I am interested, but I have no idea who's territory I'm in, other than the fact that Verizon took over for my last SDSL provider. I do have AT&T phone service, so I'm guessing services are available in my area.

So far have contacted CBEYOND, LOGIX, OPLINK, and COMCAST. Prices, services, contracts, and worst of all, DISCLOSURE, are all over the map.

I'm not asking for much, just consistent up and down at 768Kbps-1.5Mbps, a few statics, VPN access for at least one user (mac), and a firm idea of what I'm getting for how much. Probably more to it than that, but this is the gist of it.

11. CrazyDave

Yes, folks, it's that time again, and while I didn't update this with what I went with last time (PAETEC, now windstream, which was great btw), I figured it wasn't worth starting another thread.

---bump----

Changing locations, and t1 contract with voip is up, and just can't justify the cost to renew.

Question at this point is...

anyone have experience with either Comcast or UverseATT business class ISP services?

I see some pretty alarming reviews, but again, time for change. same needs as before...

I'm not asking for much, just consistent up and down at decent somewhat consistent speeds, a few statics, VPN access for two users, and a firm idea of what I'm getting for how much. Probably more to it than that, but this is the gist of it.

Anyone ? Anyone? Bueller?