1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets are Tiny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PigMiller, Nov 10, 2008.

1. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Talk all you want about any of the other "problems" with the Rockets...the MAJOR problem with this team is their extreme lack of height. Outside of Yao, who's obviously not athletic at all there's, essentially nobody to match up with any of the giants at the 4 spot that seemingly every other team so far has had.

This leads to a complete dismantling on the boards, and outside of Landry the Rockets have a hard time finishing around the basket.

So, there's 2 solutions...1) Trade for height, or 2) Go with what you have, and have your 4's and 5's show a more concerted effort, DESIRE and focus to actually blocking your man out and going and getting the rebound, which we haven't seen yet this season.

Rebounding is 90% desire, 10% physical.

2. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I agree with you 1st point, but it is more like 60% and 40% physical. Big aggresive guys get the calls in the nba. If you're seven foot and a beast you can go through guys and over guys and the refs will leave you alone. Shaq started this and nothing has changed.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that little circle under the basket has screwed up the game somewhat.

DD

4. rterry

Finally, we agree on something. Why can't a charge be a charge whereever it occurs? Shaq and his lower the shoulder fullback move really ushered in this era of full contact basketball.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Average height of our starting 4 and 5 = 6' 3". No wonder we have trouble rebounding and defending the paint!

Scrubola plays like he is 6'6" (lack of athleticism) and Yao like he is 6'0" (we all know the reasons).

6. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

Seriously, you are not a rockets fan.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is Morey's fault! :mad:

He said our small rotation played better! He said Rafer's shooting is good enough to win. :eek:

8. tested911

tested911 Member

And people here bashed me in the off-season for wanting Marcus Camby.. I know were not supposed to be NBA experts here but who didn't think this was a problem going into the season? I've said that the only way we can pass the Lakers and Celtics is if we get some height during the trade deadline. We don't need a scorer but a shot blocking, rebounding power forward. Yes we can beat 80% of the teams in the NBA but that means Jack S@$t if you want to win the championships. We are to small and the only hope I have is that Dikembe comes back.

9. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Seriously, I am. I watch every minute of every Rockets game.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I bet everything looks tiny to Pig Miller.

11. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Aaron Brooks looks like a flea.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thank you for agreeing with me I have been complaining about this for two seasons. Y

13. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Glad I could help.

Chuck is the only consistent player the Rockets have that has a CONSISTENT rebounding focus, effort and desire. He just can't overcome the fact that he's 6'6''

14. rterry

Hayes is the perfect example. It totally debunks those that will say that desire and effort and blocking out will solve all our woes. We will get drilled in the playoffs without a tall and strong PF/C to sometimes pair with Yao and sometimes to back him up.

15. YaoDorseyfan

YaoDorseyfan Member

Can we pick up Antonio McDyess

16. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

We need someone at least 6'11 that cause play some D and rebound.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

3) Quit farting around and sign an established 7-foot legitimate defensive player from the Congo who's not really all that busy these days. Costs us next to nothing and gives us a presence in the middle when Yao is out. Seriously, what is Morey waiting for? There's a roster spot open. Les can sign Dikembe for the vet minimum, then make another donation to the hospital to make up the difference.<BR>

18. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I have been saying all along that this would be a major problem for the Rockets this year based on what I saw from last year. As far as length, the Rockets are shorter than last season. So how are they planning on not being abused on the boards with mini-me-s at Power Forward? It will only get worse as the season goes on. Yao will get hurt, (as usual) and what do you have left? Chuck Hayes, landry, Scola, Dorsey? Ridiculous! I say it again, it will only get worse as the season progresses! :mad:

19. killer instinct

Big or not, Calvin Murphy should have taught all of us Rocket fans that a killer jump shot and some tenacity can conquer any giants that are looking for that same jump shot.

20. The Brian

The Brian Member

yao's height prevents him from being a better rebounder.

i don't get why people don't understand that being that tall isn't always an advantage, especially for rebounds.