1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Some Tips for Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bluerap04, Nov 8, 2008.

1. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

From what I understand, Yao doesn't read these boards much, so I'm trusting you, RonRon, to print and forward this to him :D

Yao, first of all, you rock. You're a great player, and we love having you in Houston. You bring a huge presence. Your jump shot is on point. It's bread and butter. Which brings me to my point.

You gotta stick with your bread and butter. After these past years of observation, I've come to conclude the following suggestions:

- Whenever you get the ball, make your move within 2 seconds. Don't hold onto the ball too long, it allows the defense to collapse on you. Pass the ball or go for the basket.
    - Take ONLY one dribble. MAYBE two. Once again, dribbling the ball for more than one or two bounces allows the defense to see you moving and collapse on you. Turnovers ensue.
    - Set more screens closer to the basket. When you set a screen, ALWAYS expect the ball on your way to the rim. You should be getting a lot more dunks.
    - Rebound. You're freakin seven and a half feet tall! You should win like 80% of rebound battles. But, as it was Bill Russell that said it best, rebounding is more about technique than it is about height. I think you could average 13-15 rbs/gm if you worked hard enough at it.

I believe you are your best when you make quick decisions. This is why you're so good in the clutch (where there's no time left anyways).

Thanks, and keep up the good work
    - bluerap04

::Disclaimer:: I don't hate Yao. He's got too much skill and talent for me to hate. But we've all seen him get exploited over and over again, and I believe a lot of it has to do with the reasons listed above.

2. kingk0ng

kingk0ng Member

Uh oh...you have ofended the God of many people on this forum, prepare to fell their wrath!

3. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

These are good points, but when you play basketball you don't think that much. The game should come natural to you.

4. ibm

ibm Member

yao needs to give jvg and tib a call to review the stuff he learnt back then. feel like he's not progressed much under adelman. he now looks often confused and hesitant for some reason.

5. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Yao needs to shoot the ball without hesitation. i see that he is allways second guessing things. when yao is looking to get aggrassive without any hesitations, he looks great. against the mavs he was shooting the ball without a second thought. yao needs to get that mentality back. he also should be able to rebound better.

All things considering, tonight was a better performance and hopefully a step in the right direction. he just needs to use his size more. use that body to create spac e for himself.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yao,

The ball goes IN the rim, not against it.

7. kingk0ng

kingk0ng Member

Lmao that made me spit all over my screen

8. ibm

ibm Member

ronnymac, is that really you? or is it your brother who stole your id? first reasonable and decent post from you in a lng while. lol.

9. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

Good points you made. Some said before when on the court, you dont think that much. I say the teammates help him a little bit.

10. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

I was joking around in the game thread. noone acts seriously in game threads.thats what there for. to have fun. in these ones though, you gotta bring you're A game. i like yao. i know what he is capebale of and what he needs to do to get back to where he belongs.

11. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

I thought that too. But I guess it's quite natural.
    When we lost, we all got upset and said something we didn't really mean.
    He was just crazy about the Rockets. He doesn't have a problem with Yao.

12. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Exactly. i know yao when he is at his best, noone can stop him. thats why i get mad. i get mad because i know how good he can be.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Yup, don't over think. Just do it. Best advice for Yao, imo.

14. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

LOL :D

15. ibm

ibm Member

ok, i see now. then maybe i was being too serious.

but still, i suspect the last 2 was posted by your brother. lol.

16. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

lol.what can i say, i'm jeckyl and hyde. :D

17. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Additional advice for Yao:

1. Don't eat those Chinese fried foods from your Dad's restaurant. They don't give you high energy and they waste your energy in digestion and they help you in recovering after games. Try those high thrive diets recommended in Brendan Brazier's book "The Thrive Diet".

2. Don't play too many video games. Better use those time to watch recorded Rox plays to improve your game.

3. Tell the coach that you can only play around 33 minutes for 82 games. The current high rate of your playing minutes is weakening your effectiveness and making you vulnerable to injuries.

Best of luck.

18. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

If that's true then we can make a great movie about it.
    Every time the team lose and Yao suck, here comes the evil twin.
    When we win, this ronnymac logs on.

19. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Re 1. above: my bad; I meant they don't help you in recovering....

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

ronnymac,

You are a maniac in the game thread. But, I agree, the game threads are full of totally reactionary, emotional posts. People don't really think too much before they comment.

In other words, if you can't take the heat, get the f*** out! :D

You can always posts with the thoughtful braniacs after the game.

Maniacs or braniacs... or both.