1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Makes Stupid Remark At First Post Election Press Conference

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faos, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Wow. That didn't take long.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSNZrwpZlhc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSNZrwpZlhc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1108/Obama_apologizes_to_Nancy_Reagan.html

Obama apologizes to Nancy Reagan for 'careless' joke

President-elect Barack Obama called Nancy Reagan this afternoon to apologize for a joke about her having held "séances" in the White House, an Obama aide said.

“President-elect Barack Obama called Nancy Reagan today to apologize for the careless and off handed remark he made during today’s press conference," said transition spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter. "The President-elect expressed his admiration and affection for Mrs. Reagan that so many Americans share and they had a warm conversation."

Obama was asked at his press conference today if he'd spoken to all the "living" presidents.

"I have spoken to all of them who are living," he responded. "I didn’t want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any séances."

He was apparently confusing stories about Reagan's consulting with an astrologer with those about other First Ladies -- from Mary Todd Lincoln to Hillary Clinton -- who tried to make contact with figures from the past.

2. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

I guess it's time to impeach him and bring in McCain and Palin... :rolleyes: Get a life. Our new president is a black democrat. Sucks to be you.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

A little sensitive, eh?

Typical. You can dish it out but can't take it.

Sucks to have to apologize for OUR president elect already.

I know he's black. Why do you bring that up?

Don't you have a Palin thread to start?

4. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Ya that was a bit foolish for him to say. No harm done though. He apologized immediately.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

rookie mistake. he'll grow out of it soon...he'll have to.

6. MexAmercnMoose

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was a gaffe by Obama. Incredibly minor, and he was quick to make amends.

It is great to have a president who can admit when he makes mistakes and take immediate action to correct them.

That is the kind of leadership I'm looking forward to.

8. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I agree. That was a little insensitive. It wasn't stupid as in George Bush or Sarah Palin stupid, but it was a little insensitive. If anyone else would have said it no one would have batted an eye, but as president elect he'll be held to a different standard, and I'm sure he'll get used to that.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

here comes life under the microscope moreso than any president before him

had to know it was coming though

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You calling someone sensitive is about the dumbest thing ever posted in D&D. If you only had a clue. Next time Palin or whoever in the GOP gets roasted, take your own advice for a change and just "take it" instead of criticizing others for talking about it.

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It seems Obama is just too fast for his internal filter sometimes. It's like that lipstick on a pig remark where you could see him realize what a poor choice of words he'd made as soon as he uttered them.

I'm sure everyone's been there before, nobody's perfect. I'd rather his policies get nitpicked than his speech patterns.

12. conquistador#11

she probably did.
    Those people, the reagans, were not good people. To travel to central america together to condemn Jesuits..that's not classy.

The question is.. did she use a ouija board, or did she attempt to make contact with the little green men that fascinated reagan?

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Next time Palin gets roasted? Hell, that's an hourly occurrence in here.
    Bring it on, tough guy. I'll be here. I'm starting to like the D&D. And I won't bring race into it either.

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

If i'm not mistaken, isn't it Hillary Clinton linked to seances anyway? Nancy Reagan is into astrology.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Hey Faos, when did the party of Dwight Eisenhower become infested with so many sniveling morons? Stop whining.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Pot meets kettle.

Nothing worse than whining about someone whining dontcha think?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not bringing anything and rarely start threads with the word "stupid". I'll leave that stuff to you. Just follow your own advice and do what you ask others to, which I assume now means you'll stop the whining when others discuss subjects/people you don't like.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ouch that is a gaffe, glad it happened post election day.

DD

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I don't mind the other topics. Just those damn panda pics.

20. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I think we can defend Obama without further insulting a 87 year old widow guys.