1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The silver lining - Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 7, 2008.

1. battousai

battousai Member

RA is going to play alston to see if his defense would be able to stop or slow down Baron. if not then artest will either cover baron or margtt. Yao should have a easier time with camby as he is not what he used to be. scola could help out too.

our guards will be challenged but our front court should have a field day.

2. djimi

djimi Member

i think he will slowly eat into Rafers minutes as the season progresses. he needs all the exposure he can get. and his passing has improved as well. he's not scared of taking the shots. hope he can be like a Tony Parker type of player.

3. djimi

djimi Member

SF3........Where are you???!!!! :D

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yup, it also feels good the commentators recognize it, both Mike & Marv had praise for him in both games. It's too bad he doesn't have the strength of a guy like Bogues and the lack of stealing ability because then it would be a no-brainer to put him in the starting line-ups. Offensively he's ready, not so much on defense. I bet he would complement Yao really well, just penetrate and if no1 comes at him lay it up and if some comes at him, drop it off to Yao or the outside shooters. Every time Brooks is around the rim, I'm confident he can hit the shot and he's hitting some really tough ones over much bigger defenders off the glass. Rafer on the other hand is terrible with his streetball floaters; it looks ugly and it's not effective so please stop doing it. Also his 3pt shot is sweet and he's clutch. I wouldn't mind him taking the shot like he did last night at the end of the 1st. Maybe next time, if they're down in the 4th they should give it to Brooks instead of to Artest or McGrady who both missed 20+ footers to put the game away.

5. leebigez

leebigez Member

With all the praise of brooks, I think I'm going to change my name to Negrodamus from the Chappelle Show :D

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You are going to break your arm patting yourself on the back Leebigez, I think a lot of people have been on the Brooks bandwagon as long as you.

But I appreciate that you and a lot of others were right....

DD

7. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Member

Absolutely right. Brooks has been superb. He's fearless and a fantastic shooter. He still doesn't always make correct decisions, but for a young player he is doing incredibly well. Great job Morey!

8. leebigez

leebigez Member

DD- That's not my style really. I saw it last yr when he started playing, it just oozed through. The was the league is setup with the lack of hand checking on the perimeter, its good for a guy like brooks. He reminds me of terrell brandon. Hopefully, he doesn't have the injury history.

DD, from your days of calling games at old SWT, I feel you see things from a basketball pov that some posters don't. Good shooters were good in grade school. Great shooters are great shooters in 2nd grade. A poor shooter like Rafer can never be a good shooter. He can be streaky ok, which is what he is. Brooks is a naturally good shooter and what makes him hard to contain is his special gift of speed,quickness, and explosion. His arms are long for his size like KJ and he's very atheletic. What I like about him is his calm. He seems to always be mentally in control. Then you watch the small things he's picked up on like the "runningback tuck", ala marbury when he goes to the rim, its a lot to like about him.

I don't want to derail this, but I think the rox are in position to where they can be good for the next 5-7 yrs or they can have a run as short as the 97 team. I know I'm in the minority, but I would see if pritchard would deal Outlaw and Frye for Battier and something. I think the Rox going forward could benefit greatly from a guy with a huge upside and production of Outlaw and the size/skill of a guy like frye. Then in 2 yrs and James see this team has already won a ring and still has some young talent, it makes it very appealing.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Leeb,

I agree about Brooks, I just wonder if Yao fits into that team.......I love the big guy, but I can't help but wonder what kind of team we would have if we traded Yao for large skilled athletic bigs.....would the team fit together better?

DD

10. Asian Sensation

I think last years "baptism by fire"... playing Brooks in last years Playoffs is the culprit of improvement in play/confidence. I hope he keeps it up.

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

We need Yao.... We need him to be what he did before he got hurt last year. I love the fact we got Artest. I know people are starting to see that it doesn't seem like it's a good fit with Tracy, Artest, and Yao. We need to get this team time to gel. They need time. It's only 5 games guys... It pisses me off when Yao does not rebound or defend or just play BIG but lets give these guys time.

Lets wait till December and then maybe we can start making some judgements. I know I've been talking about playoff positioning but right now getting this time on the same page is important. It's going to be important once Shane gets back.

12. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

yao just doesn't fit with what adelman wants to do. look at how scola is scoring (spot up 15 foot jumpers or cutting for layups; what webber and divac and miller used to do). if yao has a 15 ft jumper, we'd be money. but he can't.

i'm wondering the same thing. imagine if we had amare on this team. sure our defense will struggle, but god we could explode for 120 every game.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am not sold on it yet, but I have to admit I have been thinking about what would happen with a more mobile athletic big to open up the middle for all those back cuts etc.

The team seems to have an identity crisis, is it Yao's team...which is low post oriented, with 3pt shooting and wings cutting down the middle or is it a high post offense with baseline cuts?

Right now, something is just not working, and more and more it is looking like Yao.

Back on topic, but Aaron Brooks looks outstanding.

DD