1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Should Post Artest More?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kgoodman, Nov 7, 2008.

1. kgoodman

kgoodman Member

Why don't we do this?

Tmac offensively has put up decent numbers, but our offense boggles down at times. I just don’t think Ron is at his best if he is trying to beat guys off the dribble. Yao is struggling to gain position on the block, also with finishing.

Until Yao starts to play better I’d like to see Ron catch the ball on the elbow of the free throw line (high post), and go to work. Maybe put Yao on the weak side post, to clean up anything coming off the glass. I have no doubt this would increase our FTA

If Ron would have posted more, Roy would have been in foul trouble, Maybe even Aldrigde. Could have made all the difference? RA, I think is really trying to teach the team his offense, but sometimes you have to just Ball.

Your thoughts?

2. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Agree 100%. Artest could have abused Portland all night in the post. I only remember him being in the post twice. First time he blows by Roy. Second time he gets hammered by Fernandez. Even Reggie mentioned that there was no way to stop him in the post. He's either going to score or get to the line.

It looks to me that Ron was trying to get himself shots by bringing the ball up the court himself. It's going to be hard for RA to keep these guys happy if they are not getting enough attempts. Put him in the post and let him get his shots up that way as opposed to him trying to take his man off the dribble.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hard to do with Yao in the game...he clogs the lane....

DD

4. v3.0

v3.0 Member

I liked what Brooks did late in the game when Yao was setting up in the post, he waived Yao off and motioned to Artest instead. Good for him to handle the PG duties of setting up the offense.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Nice to see the young buck asserting himself.

I think the entire team was avoiding passing to Yao for a while, they can see when he is just not playing well.

DD

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

NOO

So far we haven't looked like a team at all. I mean we should post up Artest but not more.

So far it all comes down to McGrady, Yao or Ron playing one on one. We don't play team bball at all. We are not sharing the ball at all. We just don't look like a team out there.

I'd say run Adelman's offense!

7. FR0497

FR0497 Member

And that's why I think it would be a great idea to have Artest come off the bench when Battier comes back. Nobody to clog up the lane with the second unit in.

8. kgoodman

kgoodman Member

I disagree. Put him on the opposite block. Ron drives scores, get fouled, miss, or dish. Yao can play clean up, maybe get a bunch of easy buckets

9. v3.0

v3.0 Member

That would require Yao to outrebound and getting to the loose balls before the other players he's against, WHICH HE HASN'T BEEN DOING!!!

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree, Battier feeds off of Yao and the double teams with his corner 3s.

DD

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

I love having Artest on this team but he takes away from yao is he's posting up at the same time. Now when how is out the game, it would be idea for Artest to do that. But we need to make sure we have shooters out there. Even if that means having luther our there.

12. battousai

battousai Member

I like ron posting more down the paint, but let someone said Yao is too big there to clog up the lanes. Yao is drawing defenders already now you are posting down low and getting closer not to your own defender but closer to Yao defender too. Therefore your weakside is exposed and that the lanes are clogged.

You see Yao, Ron, and somewhat Tmac, those 3 guys are most effective when they have the ball and playing nearby the painted area. Of course we know Tmac has somewhat limited his ability to attack the board over the years partly due to Yao clogging up the lane. we see how he runs the offense when Yao was out last year.

RA needs to figure out a game plan that will get those 3 gel offensively. I think RA started thinking of it by playing Yao in the high post more, making the lane open. However that didn't go so well with Yao as you are basically taking his offense away.

I think the best thing is to have Tmac be our play maker and creating plays for the team. Yao playing the low post area, and Ron playing the low post along with Yao as a 4. Ron should be a 3 playing like a 4 and place scola in playing more on defense and shooting more jumpers.

In the 4th quarter we should have Tmac as pg, battier and artest at the 2 and 3. switching scola in or out with either brent for shooting as a 2 and slide artest down.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You are right, I have said something about posting Artest more in the Yao thread. Besides putting Yao on the opposite block, you can also bring Yao out, he can make a range jump if he need.

14. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

exactly the point. the only 2 times artest effectively posted up was when yao was out of the game. he got straight to the basket. the other times he went in, there were like 3-4 guys around the paint.

adelman is still figuring it out. right now he's overplaying yao b/c we're so short on size and he's well aware of the rebounding. we're already bad with yao, and we're worse without yao.

that's why you see artest stays out on the 3pt line alot. he has NEVER taken that many 3s before. i think playing with yao, he's become rafer alston in terms of just hanging around the 3pt line.

again, when artest was in sacto under adelman, brad miller plays out in the post A LOT. yao rarely does. he has to adjust. hopefully adelman will figure something out.

15. inspiRED

inspiRED Member

ron is a TERRIBLE finisher if there are multiple defenders on him. even if you put him on the opposite block, when he drives, yao's man can easily come over and help out. that happened 3x last night (though one time he gave a nice pass to landry, which was TIPPED -> it shows you how congested it is in there).

16. kgoodman

kgoodman Member

I wouldn't say he is terrible. Last night he just looked impatient, and tried to force things. He is a pretty decent finisher. We have seen him as more of a jump shooter. He can shoot, but he is a much better finisher.

17. FFz

FFz Member

hell yes we should post him more. Portland couldn't stop him in the post, but the problem is that doesnt fit the offense we're tryign to run. T-mac, Yao, Artest postups to start the play doesnt necessarily promote motion.