1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palin didn't know Africa was a continent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Member

It's over. There's nothing wrong with celebrating the victory earned by President-elect Obama, but it's counter-productive to continue the election cycle the way it was done in the past. We have a new president. Let's take his lead and move beyond childish political attacks.

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Member

Villification goes both ways. There are plenty of things with which to villify both campaigns. Nows not the time. Shouldn't we take a break for at least a couple of years? If nothing else, we shouldn't muddy the waters for President Obama. If his policies are superior, lets see if they work. He won the election and deserves a fair shot.

Along the same lines, Governer Palin has an approval rating of over 80% in her state. She also deserves the ability to govern. She too can be judged by the results of her policies. Her competence can and should be judged on the merit of her performance.

There's another election in four years. We can start flinging the poo during the next election cycle.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As much as I will miss the fascination with Palin, and as much as I really DO want to know her exact knowledge base as a VP candidate, I agree with Wild Bill.

If someone like me wants to say "give me a break" when Obama is blamed for the stock market, for Prop 8, and for the bad smell of my neighbor's garbage cans, all on November 5...

... then I shouldn't pile on Palin (or the GOP's dealing with Palin) on November 5.

I actually wish the GOP well, because we'll need to rely on a sane, clear voice out of them moving forward. We've got a bigger heap of problems than we do good ideas right now.

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Bill, what you're saying is very admirable, and most of us here would agree with you 99 percent of the time...

The problem is, the other 1 percent is the time where the near 2nd in command of the free world can't distinguish a country from a continent with many countries. That literally trumps anything you can say in her defense. ANYTHING. EVER.

And this kind of stuff needs to be brought to the forefront, because someone like that should never, ever be that close again. I don't know who is to blame for that disaster of a VP candidate, but America needs a wakeup call.

The GOP should expect, and honestly deserves, more than that. More than an overly ambitious hillbilly. (No offense, Bill Clinton)

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Totally agree on everything said here. Considering she may have a chance to get on the next ticket as PRESIDENT makes this worthy of discussion. I would hope the Republicans learned their lesson on this gamble, but stranger things have happened.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But it's not over.

If she was going home and fading into obscurity, fine.

That does not seem to be the case. Available information is that there are people who want her to go for a national office again, and it appears she is likely interested.

So she continues to be a danger to this country and continues to be subject to the same treatment as before November 4. There is not mercy rule in politics.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I didn't like Palin, but I still have a hard time believing that she didn't know Africa was a continent. That's a little TOO over the top.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Especially for someone whose newspaper and magazine consumption consists of "all of them".

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I was in college, I met someone who had very good marks at another school (a very mediocre school - Ball State) who didn't know whether Europe was a continent or a country.

It was very shocking at the time.

I am not sure about this story, but that experience was so mind-blowing to me that I am positive that the story is not beyond the pale.

There is a certain type of person who can function at a very high level and be successful that has absolutely no curiosity about things that they aren't required to know.

I am sure that out there somewhere is someone who is very successful in life who doesn't know that Africa is a continent. Whether that person is Sarah Palin or not, I don’t know.

10. Will-Pac

Will-Pac Member

Since this source is unnamed, I'ma call BS until they grow some nuts and show their face. What losers. :rolleyes:

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I don't know why some people seem to doubt this story's plausibility.

As a person of African descent who routinely meets Americans who don't know that Africa isn't a country on a regular basis, it doesn't sound far-fetched to me at all. I'm just flabbergasted that such a person was actually that close to becoming vice president. It makes perfect sense that a dunce like Sarah Palin would have no clue about the continent of Africa, especially with the impressive display of ignorance we've seen from her in the past few months.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not that unusual among less educated people. Hell, someone asked me if I speak Asian, because I am asian. :rolleyes: I am sure he thought Asia was a country.

13. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

LOL :D

14. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

this is another case of the RNC trying to destroy a woman they no longer have any use for since she is over the age of 40. This is the trophy wife party guys.

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yup, exactly. Trust me as well, it happens all the time.

16. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

You are right, I dont think you need/required to know everything granted it doesnt relate to your work/family matters. The point however, is that when your average 8 year old know that africa is a continent and well you get my point.... Its like an NBA player not knowing that you can't kick the ball in basketball.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dated someone once who didn't understand how I could be both Chinese and Asian. In her defense 1, she grew up in BFE Minnesota. 2. She was hawwwtttt..

18. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyoafptEm5c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyoafptEm5c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

As an individual, there really is no depth or composure associated with her at all. In terms of policy making I'm sure she has a decent group of advisers who steer her toward making fundamentally sound decisions based on Republican values. Should never have been considered for any real leadership positions.

LOL @ the people who were naive enough to sit through her interviews and think it was just "inexperience" or "jitters". It's called being in over your head.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I thought after the election conservatives would hope that Palin would just go away but it's becoming clear to me that the "base" is still smitten with her and will stand by her no matter what. People who I don't recall ever posting here during the election are starting to come to her defense.

Bill Kristol has had a political hard on for Palin ever since he met her in Alaska and used his relationship with McCain to push her on him. Late in the campaign he was advising her and telling her to ignore what McCain's people were telling her.

RedState blog has launched "project leper" to punish McCain people who have revealed the negative stuff about Palin, Michelle Malkin is totally on board with them.

Glenn Beck and the people he talks to were secretly hoping McCain would die in his first term so that they could get President Palin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7lRJ5MnK6Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7lRJ5MnK6Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

From Beck's website:
    [​IMG]

I hope you guys continue down that path, it'll guarantee a 2nd Obama term.

20. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member