1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a non-American, I am so proud of the US right now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fadeaway, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

W showed us what a great idea that was when he pretty much told the UN to piss off with regards to Iraq.

[​IMG]

Excellent!

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Probably not half as offensive as the paternalism we show the rest of the world when we say they don't run their economies or their governments or their police forces or whatever else correctly. And, not much different from when we praise or condemn the election of Sarkozy or Mugabe or Chavez. Or, for that matter, not much different from when we accuse other Americans for voting on race.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

all of those require a united front.

When they pat us on the head for electing someone it shows something of a "OK now that you did THAT now we will talk to you, OTHERWISE..."

4. fmullegun

Most of the time those opinions come from the USA government and are followed by billions of dollars.

5. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Except for the fact that America does that to other countries all the time? As if our government has never praised another for who they elected.

6. fmullegun

Our government is doing it for their own benefit and the motive is easily seen.

It is not a person saying they are so "proud" of us.

7. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Well first you were saying you didn't care what whole countries thought, now you're back to talking about the one guy.

Make up your mind.

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I know I'm late to the show, but reading page one reminded me why Americans piss me off sometimes (I haven't got through the entire thread yet, so sorry if I re-state anything)...

There has been a lot of talk in Canada with people saying we cared more about the US election than our own. Well...it many cases this is true. I watched all the US debates, but only half of the Canadian ones. Why? Because honestly, your election has a great impact on Canada than our own!

So when we - as outsiders - say we're proud of America for making this decision, don't get so uptight dammit! We're not talking from a paternal point of view, but rather as a brother or sister. By electing Obama as your President, you have not only elected who YOU wanted to run the country, but also who WE wanted to run your country!

This isn't about us looking down on you and going "good job", this is us looking UP at you saying "good job", "thank you"..."finally!"

9. Master Baiter

Hey zip it, don't you have a bus stop to recon? ;)

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Haha...MB. I had originally quoted this in my previous post, but decided to take it out since it was from the first page. I was trying to agree with you! :cool:

11. Master Baiter

I was improving international relations. You know, communicating?

[​IMG]

Hey moes, this is pretty fun :D

edit:
    We are definitely on the same page, man. Trust me, it really gets under my skin.

12. Astockmarketgod

Id dosent matter what I want...

your sitting on a 10 trillion dollar debt... paying 3 billion dollars interest a day on it...

China is buying up that debt to a rate... they are now ahead of the Japanese..

your standard of living needs to be lowered...and you need to pay down your debt....which will never happen..

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Haha :D

14. Astockmarketgod

after 8 years of Bush you should be looking for our forgiveness...

Canada is tied to the USA more than you think...

without Canada... you would be reading by candle light, taking a bath once a week.......riding bikes to work

you could beg for more oil from the Saudi's though... or Hugo Chavez....

15. JJae

JJae Member

finish him!11

16. Astockmarketgod

you can do it yourself... just run over to your truck and grab your Semi Automatic Assault rifle... (oops... hunting rifle) grab your pro life/clinic bombing friend...

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I'm talking about all the condescending statements the US citizenry makes about other countries' political choices. I could give you a thousand examples.

And, who gives a **** if it comes with dollars or not? Would that mean that China can feel a justified condescension because they are funding our deficit?

18. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

The ridiculous attack on the OP is so stupid, I read the post, nothing in there screamed "Americans are dumb, you finally got it right this time though".

You do know that America has a history of being in other people's business right? This is exactly why there is contempt about America all around the globe. When the Monroe Doctrine came out(still in effect today, btw), it said "everybody mind their own business, we run this place" yet said nothing about America intervening with other countries' affairs.

America has minded other countries' business way more than others have minded ours. If countries were people, America would be the guy always telling people what to do if they are wrong, but when America is wrong and other people tell him that he would say "no, I'm better than you, you can't tell me what to do"

19. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Once again, I apologize if I came off as condescending to anyone. That wasn't my intent at all.

Great post. This is exactly how I feel and what I meant with this thread. Maybe I should have articulated it better earlier.

Ha ha. Yeah, only a few days ago Newfoundland was declared to be one of only four "have" provinces (which don't receive equalization payments from the government). The only others are Alberta, Saskatchewan and I think BC. Things are starting to pick up out east. Was a bit surprised to learn that Ontario was a "have-not."

I'm not big on the whole using stereotypes to make fun of people either. In fact, I cringe every time I even hear the word "newfie."

But moes makes fun of everyone. If he didn't, he wouldn't be moes, so you can't take him too seriously. :D

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

haha.

Kros - I get what you're saying bro... no hard feelings. My bad if I came off like a douche.