1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a non-American, I am so proud of the US right now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fadeaway, Nov 5, 2008.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I apologize for misinterpreting your words. I do wish people would realize that America is a great country regardless of who is in the oval office. Hopefully this election can prove that.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A country where everyone thinks the same as everyone else is a boring country.

Like Canada or something.

But I don't know because I don't put flapjacks on my feet and go ice skating at Paul Bunyan's family reunion.

Perhaps Grizzled can enlighten us further?

:p

3. Astockmarketgod

Actually Canadians are not to happy with Nafta anyways...

Its not free trade when the USA places tariffs on imports .... of Canadian lumber... complaining Canada was charging too little...

then complaining when Canada charged the going spot rate on electricity, going back to the Eron/deregulation fiasco... complaining Canada was charging too much...

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Let me help you a little on the demographics.

Greater Toronto is bigger than greater Houston and has the 2nd largest China town in N. America and has the largest Caribeean population in the world outside of the Caribbean.

Vancouver is maybe the most diverse city I've ever seen with a massive Asian population.

Then there's Montreal ...which is the only french speaking province.

Then there's Nunavut ...which is largely ruled by indigineous people.

Just helping you out while you are spewing crap.

5. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

by attacking people and calling their opinion sickening. great start.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

wow dude, you really need a sarcasm meter. :D

7. fmullegun

it seems anything said negative about anything is now taken as an attack on the pres-elect.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Are you even listening to yourself? YOU decided to act like a pompous jerk in this thread, attacking people due to nationality, and now YOU are mad at people for calling you out on it?

It's a little late to play the pity card, dude.

9. krosfyah

You are accusing me of attacking people? bwahaha.

It's not a sign of weakness to admit your are wrong ...if you are in fact wrong.

You've been thourghoutly trounced defending your position that Canadians should mind their own business. ...and the best comeback you've got is this?

I'm out.

10. fmullegun

really "dude"?

11. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Oh baby, if you think I wanted McCain in there, you are very wrong. Nothing like a 71 year old leading the new GOP.

Whether he meant it or not, it was a paternalistic comment that obviously upset some people. Then you tell everyone to stop being an ahole for getting upset with it. He obviously didn't mean his comments as such and explained himself while you go on defending it blindly because it is saying something good about your political party. That wasn't the point. He explained he was happy and that's fine.

If someone is going to condescend to a bunch of people that are pissed off and then not expect a reaction, then they are naive or just didn't think of the opposite reaction. I'm assuming it was the latter.

If I said I was "proud" of you for standing up to me, or for supporting Barack Obama, it would piss you off because you know think I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I voted for Barack Obama, reluctantly. Simply because I didn't think McCain could lead, even though I side more with conservative ideals, especially economically. Not the point though.

The vote though is ours. America is going to do what is right for itself. If that is expanding relations globally, great. If it is being xenophobic, great. We do what is in our best interest and we understand that we have a global responsibility. For someone to say they are "proud" when they aren't a part of the decision making is very annoying and paternalistic.

What pissed me off is not so much how he said it but how you defended it.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm just here to give my good buddy fade some grief since he beat me in our fantasy basketball matchup this past week.

I am a well-educated young male who knows quite a bit about our neighbors to the North, from the sandy deserts in Nova Scotland, the wild boars that roam Prince Edwin's Island to the Fruited Plains of the Klondike Bar Peninsula...

Ahhhh, Land of 10,000 lakes it truly is.

;)

13. fmullegun

If your thought of winning is talking unity then trashing people being the first to roll out personal insults, then saying the stereotypical american is an idiot then thats fine.

14. Astockmarketgod

seriously your talking to...Ignorant Southern Americans... atleast 55% of them in Texas...

Im happy with the fact that China will be the new power in the world...within 50 years...

and Americans will eventually be Canada's Mexico...

these ignorant southern Americans can go back to talking about Iraq... and how they are in that country to make things right...

where before the first gulf war... most of them couldnt show you where Iraq was on a map...(most probably still can't)

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You proved my point. Thanks.

16. krosfyah

There was no indication of anything sarcastic in your post. It was just a rehash of Canadian stereotypes. It's not very nice to prop up stereotypes ...as that's how they are perpetuated.

If you didn't mean what you wrote, sorry.

17. fmullegun

so you want american to fail correct?

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sorry, My humor just really isn't appreciated in this forum.

You guys are all so uptight.

Making fun of Canada has been an American tradition for many years.

Lighten up bro.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Wow great post. It amazes me how narrow minded many Americans really are.

It's all about "ME ME ME ME!" :(

It's as if they they don't see citizens of the world on the same level as citizens of United States.

20. krosfyah

Please provide a quote from me in this thread where I insulted somebody.

TIA.

Appology accepted.