1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a non-American, I am so proud of the US right now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fadeaway, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Agreed, I apologize. It makes me no better.

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

This statement I would have had no problem with

"I am glad Obama was elected because it postively impacts my country and in my opinion the world"

this one is what the OP basically said

"I am proud of you americans for voting for Obama because you were so stupid in voting for Bush and if you had not voted for Obama you would have been idiots."

3. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Let me be frank. Generally speaking, neither Canada nor any other first world country has looked up to the US for any kind of progressive or moral leadership for many decades ... until yesterday. You've had the biggest army and the biggest economy, and that has made you defacto leaders in some ways, but leaders like W. and Reagan earned you no respect and much ridicule. In a time of great crisis, however, America has now stepped up, and for the first time in my life I am looking to the new leadership in the US, and more importantly to the movement that made it happen, as a movement that points the way to a better future for all of us.

4. rocketman111gay

WELL, yes the OP is not an American, and yes he can say what ever he wants. But that is only b/c this site is based in America and none of us are going to report anything said (to a limit, i.e. iam going to kill you) here. Why, b/c we know that we have free speech and he can get away with it in the States.

5. Master Baiter

If the shoe fits?

6. Master Baiter

Yeah because there aren't other countries that have free speech. Holy naive :rolleyes:

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

...and that is why Republicans LOST this election. Because you are so out of touch with the reality of most Americans.

Don't take your anger of losing the election out on Canadians. Like you said, they have no vote so your anger is misguided.

America is tired of Carl Rove politics ...and so is the rest of the world. Focus your anger and revamping your broken Republican party.

8. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

you are seeing this as an attack on Obama winning. It isn't.

9. rocketman111gay

Such as?

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

So what? Seriously. You sound terribly insecure, frankly - afraid to admit that there is an enormous amount of merit in the above argument when the whole damn world is more or less saying it together.

Furthermore, let me know when you plan on extending this same courtesy to other nations. I suppose when Abhimijad (I don't care how you spell that asshat's name) in Iran is ousted you'll keep your opinions to yourself, right? I suppose you have no commentary to espouse regarding Chavez down in Venezuela?

It's the height of arrogance and ignorance to assume that only you (or your country) know what's best - and goddamit that's as good and as thorough an explanation for why America is in such a enormous mess right now as you'll here anywhere. I said it before and I'll say it again - nationalism breeds selfish stupidity.

Mad props to those who realize it and call it out - regardless of nationality.
    I've got nothing but contempt and pity for those to chicken**** to admit it.

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I am surprised at the negativity from some of you. I didn't mean what I said to come off as paternalistic or anything. I'm just happy about how the election turned out and feel a lot better about America these days.

On the other hand, for those saying stuff like "who cares what citizens from other countries think, I'm so tough, blah blah blah," you can eat me. :p

Thanks for the kind words, Manny. :)

To answer your question, I don't think you need to be a seasoned, veteran politician to be a great candidate. Obama seems to have that rare spark that can motivate and inspire people. That's important. McCain and his negativity did not impress me at all, nor anyone else that I know. Honestly, the main reaction from people that I got when I asked them what they thought about McCain was, "he scares me."

Also, there is indeed something to be said for "airing out" a stagnant administration now and then, especially when it underperforms, as almost everyone feels the republican administration under Bush did. It is not a good thing for any country when a certain party becomes too entrenched. It's sort of like in Canada when the Liberal party was in charge from 1993 to 2006. They were in power far too long and there started to be news of corruption leaking out about Paul Martin and his government. It was time for a change and at that time I totally supported Harper and the Conservative party. Unfortunately, the pendulum seems to have swung a bit too far the other way these days, but that's another story.

I wouldn't be worried too much about the lack of foreign affairs experience. I feel Obama and his positivity will do far more good for America's global reputation and relations with other countries than McCain ever could. Plus, he will have all those fancy schmancy advisors and whatnot.

Too bad we don't live closer together. I'd love to get together to have a beer and watch the Rox sometime.

#71 fadeaway, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  12. krosfyah

Wrong.

China does not have freedom of speech and their Internet is censored.

Canada does not censor their citizens. They have freedom of speech. ...and therefore they can say whatever they want about America.

13. rhadamanthus

:eek: Unreal. Just.... omg how unreal.

Ya'll are so out of touch it hurts.

14. rhadamanthus

Delete. Useless point.

15. krosfyah

That comment wasn't directed to you. MLWOO said he doesn't support Obama.

Regarding YOUR comment, Canadians do have Freedom of Speech and can say whatever they want. If you don't like that, go move to China or Russia where they don't have Freedom of Speech.

America doesn't have a monopoly on Freedom of Speech.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Grizzled, awesome post. I have high hopes, but I think a lot of us in the western world are going to have to tighten our belts a little. I hope, calm, data-based heads prevail.

17. Master Baiter

It wasn't even worth a response.

When I finally get a warm fuzzy for the US again, I have to read this thread.

18. krosfyah

Exactly, it's sickening.

But you know what, I've got HOPE that Obama represents the beginning of a new era. Through his leadership, we can show the world about a politics of inclusion ...and not divisiveness.

19. Astockmarketgod

you should

Canada has vast spaces, rich mineral deposits

untouched old growth forests, 17 times the size of the state of California
    (you will need wood to build those houses, to get out of the economic glut)

Canada is your biggest trade partner in the world

Canada is the number 1 supplier of oil and natural gas, coal, electricity etc etc etc... to the US

and for you sun parched Texans....

"Environment Canada predicts that Canada soon will be in the commercial water export business. The National Post has jumped on the export-water bandwagon, calling water "blue gold." The Post's financial columnist, Terrence Corcoran, has written: "Canada is a future OPEC of water. Here's a worthwhile long-term bet: by 2010, Canada will be exporting large quantities of fresh water to the U.S., and more by tanker to parched nations all over the globe."

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Me too, buddy - share the same sentiments. :)