1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The thing I like most about having Artest on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 4, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is how he forces accountability on things like effort.

Tmac has a tendency to slough off, and I think having elite players like Ron and Yao working so hard will force Tmac to do things he might not have done otherwise.

If your best players outwork everyone else, the rest fall in line.

And I think Ron being in Houston is going to force others to up their effort level or get left behind.

IE- you want to play in the 4th quarter....you play hard.

:D

DD

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If McGrady was ever slacking, seems like he is improving now. Maybe it's Yao's influence or Artest's influence, but he is driving to the rim a lot more, getting a lot of FTs, MAKING the FTS. Although his defense is still in question (not questioning his effort, but the state of his knees), he is averaging 2 steals per game.

However, I still do expect him to continue to drive to the rim, even when he has a bad day. This also doesn't mean Artest isn't blameless if he shoots contested after contested shots. I also expect Yao to dunk that S(h)*t when he can.

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

...or get their asses kicked :D

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

2 words: contract year

5. Water Boy

Water Boy Member

...huevos mas grande

6. DaDakota

I hear ya V, but Artest always plays hard, his effort is just amazing..

Yao, Scola, Battier too......the difference is that I believe Tmac will respect Artest more.....and try harder because he is on the team.

DD

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Great point DD. It's also the 1st time in years that the rockets don't need a superhuman effort from T-Mac to win as well. Ron Ron is going to push T-Mac in ways that rocket fans have never seen. If this team can stay healthy watch out in another 25 to 30 games from now. Scary to think that Battier hasn't even played yet.

8. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I like that he plays hard because that is just how he plays. On the other hand, Mac seems to feign effort just so he can talk about how hard he had to push himself in any given game.

Artest has a no-excuses-needed-because-I'll-just-beat-your-ass mentality. Great to have on the team this year.

9. DaDakota

That is how I see it too......Artest will not let someone get away with just pretending to put out effort.

DD

10. Silverback

Silverback New Member

I like that Ron has the biggest pair in the NBA. When is the last time you saw a Rocket come to the aid of Yao when he was getting clobbered? I got so pumped in that Dallas game. I will take that technical everytime ...

Nobody even THOUGHT of messing with Hakeem because Otis Thorpe was a man beast. Just his presence was intimidating.

I just like that the Rockets finally have an enforcer down low in their prime.

No offense to guards like Bob Sura - who had some brass yarbles ...

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Didn't McGrady say he will retire after his contract is over?

12. tsunami

tsunami Member

Sounds right, but hasn't Yao already been working very hard? So his effort just didn't have the effect to motivate the others?

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

To be fair though, T-Mac *always* seems to be feigning effort. That's just his whole demeanor with those sleepy eyes to the silky smooth play (props to pongd becuase that was a tight video).

:D

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't care what's motivating him, I care that he/Yao/(Battier) are leading by example.

Evan

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just for the sake of fairness, no one messed with Hakeem because he kicked people ass. Ask micheal cage, olden polynice, mitch kupchak, and others. There is something kinda wrong when a small forward has to come to the defense of the biggest player in the league.

Artest is great for a team like the rox because they're soft. They played hard, but there wasn't a form of nastiness on this team. Also, it takes a lot of pressure off everyone, especially tracy and yao to have really good nights every game. The margin of error is larger because now the opponets know its impossible for 2 or all 3 to be off. They have shown they can win without great production from 1 of them. Now the fate of the team isn't whether or not a sub 40% guy is hitting shots.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Dood, Hakeem was a bad bad mother in his days, maybe even one of the biggest bad asses in the entire league.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Otis Thorpe is one of my favorite Rockets of all time, but this is revisionism. No one thought of messing with Hakeem because Hakeem didn't take ***** from anyone.

18. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I was speaking more towards the "OMG, I'm so tired from pushing myself to the limit in the 4th quarter of a playoff game" attitude. I don't give people credit for something the are "supposed" to do. (Stole that from Chris Rock)

I agree that his sleepy look and demeanor doesn't help that image, but I'd like it better if he didn't always have to tell us how hard he plays. Usually, if you have to tell everyone how hard you played, then you didn't REALLY put forth the effort.

Artest seems to play every 4th quarter like it is a playoff game, as do some other Rockets. Mac says that he does, but you don't always see it. Don't tell me, show me!

19. Tuan

Tuan Member

Yea, I dont think Hakeem needed an enforcer. Just watch some of his older highlights. He was a bad mofo.

20. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I like how he moves all akwardly, as someone put it "Its like his body parts all move independently of one another, theres no fluid motion, yet it all comes together to form great defense."