1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BP] Top 10 Diamond Rating (Landry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 25, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=421

[rquoter]
    Carl Landry, Houston - 19.6 (16.9 mpg, .627 Win%). The Rockets acquiring the first pick of the second round and using it on Landry opened eyes during the 2007 NBA Draft. A few months later, it became apparent Daryl Morey and company in Houston had made a brilliant pick. As John Hollinger breaks down in Landry's player profile, his season owed in part to phenomenal inside shooting that will be tough to duplicate. I disagree with Hollinger about Landry's college stats, which came out very well by my methods. Landry is unlikely to become more than a role player, but what a role player he is.
    [/rquoter]

Kevin Pelton is another stats guy (he also used to run the Sonics website, and he admins the APBRmetrics forum) who write for Basketball Prospectus. He uses a Diamond Rating for finding "diamonds in the rough" -- it looks for player's who's per-minute statistical productivity far exceed their MPG. He's got Landry 4th on his list, trailing Fazekas, Johnson, and Powe.

2. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

There's really one question I want to ask, did morey pick really pick landry because he knew he was good or was it a kind of pick of luck

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, he paid cash to the Suns? to get that pick and select Landry. GM Morey is gettin the job done.

4. Bassem

Bassem Member

I think he'll become more than just a role player in the future.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Thought it was a trade with the Sonics for a 2nd rounder and cash?

Either way, Morey is a great GM. I am still amazed at how much he pulled during this year's draft with only one pick. (picking Batum, trading Batum for Arthur and Dorsey, trading Arthur for Greene and a future 2nd rounder)

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I wasn't sure. That sounds right. At the least, I seem to remember that Morey made that deal specifically to nab Landry which looks like a heck of a good decision right now. I knew nothing about Landry before that draft so it seemed like an entirely unimpressive move at the time. I guess that's why I'm just a random fan blogging it up on CF and not making those kinds of decisions. :D

7. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

and turn Greene into RonRon....

8. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Lol, more like he turned Batum into RonRon, Dorsey, and a future second....Amazing.

9. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I know right. God I love Morey.

10. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

If Carl Landry is taller,his FG may rise about 10%

11. ydzxn56

ydzxn56 Member

not good enough i think

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Love Landry. But you lost me at Fazekas, sorry.

13. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Go Morey Go Morey:)

14. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

I couldn't agree more, imo, he's a diet Shawn Kemp (minus the Drama). I can see him winning a 6th Man of the year award down the road. It wouldn't be too much to say that with his type of productivity in limited minutes he can be a 12-5 guy off the bench.

15. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Morey is really great !! Lucky we have him as our GM !!

hmm..he will be my superhero if he can change Luther Head to LeBron James :rolleyes:

16. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Seriously, I think we were all screaming for Fazekas, Mcroberts or Big Baby to be picked. Instead Morey went with AB, then stole Landry and then stole Scola.

17. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

Morey is ridiculous he could probably draft all stars with the last pick in the second round.

18. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

iirc, it was basically a pick of luck. Nobody was expecting this from Landry. Nobody. He didn't show this kind of athleticism in college. it was only after he came to the Rockets that the training staff slimmed him down and saw he was more explosive than they thought. Adelman didn't even play him the first half of the season.

19. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

Mandry will be a starter in the future on another team most definitely.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I didn't think he was a draft pick....i thought he was one of those scrub players like Harris that happened to have some success and rise up.