1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were the coach.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Yao, Oct 23, 2008.

1. battousai

battousai Member

Here is my dilemma with artest as a starter. If we are trying to given plenty of rest to Yao and Tmac, we need our second unit to be as productive in offense and defense as our Starting Five. meaning we need a balance in between the starters and subs. With that in mind, I would put Artest in as 6th man, and he being in the game for the last 10 mins. He will be our closer.

Starting: (8 to 10 mins with Artest in closing the first half)
    Alston (30) /Brooks (10)
    Tmac (33) /Barry (15)
    Battier (25) /Artest (33)
    Scola (28) /Landry (25)
    Yao (30) /Hayes (20)
    Second units will get to play multiple positions.

-balance of defensem offense, and hustle play in starting 5. we may be be scary or powerful in this lineup, but it will set the tone and flow of the game.

Then I will Sub Tmac with either Battier or Barry for either defense or offense.
    placing Landry, Hayes in for Yao and Scola. Let Alston lead our second unit a bit then placing him out for brooks.

Then I let Brooks lead lineup of Yao, Landry, Artest, head or Tmac

closing lineup of

Tmac
    Barry
    Artest
    Scola
    Yao

or

Alston
    Tmac
    Battier
    Artest
    Yao

. depends on if we need more D or more O.

2. battousai

battousai Member

I hate to break it to ya that have Dorsey, Von, or strawberry in any rotational lineup.

Unless we have any injuries, those 3 will not see any minuates. Not because they are not good, but because we are that awesome with our starters and bench.

I would use dorsey only in a hack-a-shaq situation.

3. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Your post made think about it a little bit....we do need Yao and TMac to be fresh come playoff time, having Artest in the bench does make our 2nd line offense better therefore, limiting the job of TMac and Yao having to score almost every possesion. However, i actually would preferred playing Yao-Tmac-Artest a little be less so all 3 would be fresh, because you know- tmac chokes in playoffs (no offense, im still a tmac fan)...we just need a way to be good in the west without having the tire out our superstars...hm

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Starters
    Yao
    Landry
    Artest
    McGrady
    Alston

Rotation
    C-PF Scola
    SG-SF Battier
    PG Brooks

Warmers
    PF Hayes
    SG Barry
    SG Head
    PG Francis

IR
    Strawberry
    Dorsey
    Mutumbo

I would like Francis to step up and move Alston to the backup or Brooks to warmer. One of Artest and McGrady is always on the court. Brooks and Yao are rarely on the court together.

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

main rotation players.

Yao, Scola, Artest, Tmac, Rafer, Landry, Battier, Barry and AB.

Hayes, head and maybe dorsey for situational minutes.

6. mag

mag Contributing Member

We should start RA, TMac, Artest, Scola, Yao.

Coming from the bench: Brooks, Barry, Battier, Landry

Bench warmers: Head, Hayes, Dorsey, Wafer, Mutombo, Francis

I don't understand why people even consider bringing Artest from the bench. He is the best defensive player on the team and the most rounded player (offensively and defensively). I just read an article and Artest was voted by GMs the 2nd best defensive player in the league. Battier did not even make the list.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To be cliche? We need a scoring punch of the bench, a spark, etc is the mantra that people use to justify benching Artest.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Artest is so dominent that he should be the 6th man. When he starts he reduces efficiency of some starters, especially Scola.
    After last night Head and his mid range jumpers have caused me to think that he needs to have playing time. I want to see more Landry and Berry, if Berry or Head show an offf night then Wafer should get a chance to shoot some threes with Brooks playing the Point. :p

9. rznqp

rznqp Member

:rolleyes: Agree.
    Starting 5:
    T-MAC
    YAO
    ARTEST
    BTR
    ALSTON

10. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

I agree,our starting have enough weapons,Artest come off the bench can make the second unit offensive,so the starters can have much time resting,especially Yao,should have energy at 4th qt