1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there any reason why Brooks and Landry shouldn't start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Oct 24, 2008.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Been thinking about this for a minute and my evaluations aren't from preseason alone. I really wanted to see how they would perform in preseason vs summer league. I don't think it will happen, but I think Brooks and landry should start. I know many will have there reasons of why rafer and scola should keep their positions and that's cool. I understand the euphoria of the olympics with scola and the so call steadiness of rafer, but brooks and landry has more upside in terms of atheleticism and quickness with the ability to get better. Scola and rafer with their age and atheleticism isn't going to get much better. Plus having vets off the bench is a huge plus. Thoughts?

2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Rafer and Scola are better players.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Landry is too short to start. Didn't you say Chris Wilcox and Turiaf would better for the Rockets? Or how about PJ Brown?

4. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I like the old starting lineup with Landry and Brooks youth and energy off the bench. In the starting lineup with Artest, TMAC and Yao, there will not be enough shots for all those guys!

5. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

AB had been playing nice but theres no way in hell he should start. I don't think hes ready to play 30+ mins. a night I mean if he did I thik his stats would be really bad. I think 15 to 20 mins a game for AB is good enough.

Landry. I would start him before AB, but I think he should stay coming off the bench. He can come in and give us scoring right away when we need it.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Brooks continues to shoot the rock when the games count the way he is shooting it now then I am all for him starting.

Having said that it would nice to have that scoring punch coming off of the bench as well.

7. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

Just because Rafer, at this point, as a playmaker, is better and Scola, just fits in well with the starting lineup.

Be patient. Both Brooks and Landry are relatively young, and their time will come.

8. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

They are not ready yet.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

This is the exact reason.

10. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

here is one crazy reason. they both killed in preseason. other teams 2nd and 3rd unit players. players that are fighting for a spot on the team. come on guy don't let the hype of the preseason get 2 u. lets stay with scola and alston and use brooks and landry 2 come off the bench. thats if brooks even plays. we have 4 days left. lol lets pray steve can contribute lol pray

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The exciting thing about a starting lineup of...

Brooks
    McGrady
    Artest
    Landry
    Yao

...is that all 5 guys are capable of putting up 20 pts on any given night. There is offensive punch at all 5 positions.

Having said that, keeping Brooks and Landry as reserves, for now, makes more sense to me for at least a couple of reasons.

First, Alston and Scola seem more inclined to defer to other players and both are better passers than their current respective backups. Additionally, they are also both more experienced, higher IQ players that will likely make our big 3 that much more effective through better decision-making at both ends of the court.

Brooks and Landry will have more freedom to do what comes naturally to them as reserves. Plus, as much as I want Brooks to succeed and have seen his improvement, he still needs another season to prove that he has the consistency to be a starter. He also needs to show that he won't get overly abused, defensively. Brooks, Barry, Battier and Landry give us an athletic, change-of-pace second unit with a balance of defense, outside shooting and the ability to get to the rim.

In general, I just like the energy/spark that both Brooks and Landry provide off the bench as well as the experience and basketball intelligence that Alston and Scola possess to complement McGrady, Artest and Yao in the starting lineup.

12. theREALDEALkid

i like them as the secret weapons of the bench

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Maybe Landry. Brooks is much better off the bench when he can focus on attacking rather than being so deferent to McGrady. If he continues improving, I would consider having him in during crunch time for his shooting, but as far as starting, I think I would rather him give the offense a shot in the arm in the 2nd quarter.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

QFT...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can think of 22 of them... :rolleyes:

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Brooks would make sense in a Rajon Rondo way. That the starting lineup would be good by itself to win games but when Rondo/Brooks plays well its an indicator that they'll usually win.

If Chuck Hayes was a good fit next to Yao cuz he was an active body, Landry definitely brings that aspect. Plus Scola seems to do well when he's 1st or 2nd option scorer, something he won't be in the starting lineup.

But to answer the question if there is any reason why they shouldnt start?

-I dont know why some of us try to act like a 22 game win streak never happened, and Luther Head being crappy in the playoffs gets the most focus.
    -Landry for all his good play there's still questions if his health can hold up over a full season...Scola at least seems durable.
    -Scola had games were he was...blah. But then would have stretches of games where he'd play beautifully. I'm expecting his game will come back soon enough.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What's the rush? They're going to get alot of minutes anyways, starters or off the bench. Plus off the bench they get to exploit the weaker benches of the NBA, instead of competing against the starters of the NBA that are littered with stud PGs and PFs, especially in the West.

18. BrooksBall

For those that say Scola is better than Landry, why?

I agree that Scola should start but not because he is the better basketball player. I just think Scola is the smarter basketball player and will better complement our big 3.

Landry is more athletic, a better shooter, a better finisher around the rim and a better defender than Scola at this point.

Scola is a smarter player with more overall experience as well as a better passer.

If I'm just comparing them as individual players, Landry is the better overall. Scola just complements our other starters better, in my opinion.

19. BrooksBall

This is a great point. Alston and Scola's experience will help them better deal with these stud PGs and PFs while Brooks and Landry will be much more effective against 2nd-tier players.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Seeing that you have a reading problem, let me tell you what I said about Wilcox,Turiaf, and PJ Brown. We can add Tim Thomas to that also. While the rox were posturing and claiming Landry had a bum knee, which was a lie, I said the rox might be better served getting a guy like Turiaf because he can backup 4/5. Instead of the rox having all these guys who can only play 1 spot, thus adding Rony for 4 mil would allow the rox to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They would have scolas and yao's backup which could allow them to move on from Deke and landry. The wilcox idea was the same because wilcox is a little bigger and just as atheletic as landry. He makes more money, but he would also eliminate the glut at the 4. PJ Brown was last yr before the win streak and it wasn't to eliminate anyone off the team, it was to add size,length, and veteran toughness on a team that had none and was relying on 2 rookies and a player like hayes. Plus he was cheap. Maybe you can read that.

Back to the initial thought, there isn't anything scola does better than landry. Some will say scola is bigger, but they're both 6'8, 6'9. I like scola, and he plays very hard. He has strong hands and will not be outworked. Landry has explosion around the rim, his jumper is becoming more consistent, plus he has a pretty good upside although he was a old rookie.

Brooks is a more cloudy idea but I just think we know what rafer is. Just as adelman knew he couldn't win with j will, I think soon enough he will realize the same with rafer. I just think brooks emerging mid range game, end to end quickness and speed just opens the floor and the offense up. Its hard to run a pick and roll when the ball handler is a terrible shooter from mid range. Not only that, tracy handles the ball enough to the pg is kinda like a sg. Brooks is a better shooter/scorer than rafer. Just as with landry argument, he can get better and will get better. Its not only about winning this year, its about keeping the window open.