1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do we do with Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stilldream'n34, Oct 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. 58potato

58potato Member

sometimes, I want to see more than money in the game.

I love this game because it is not money only.

2. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

I wouldn't stab Steve in the back like that....(once again this is just my honest opinion)...when Houston wasnt exactly a play-off team, you have to admit one of the main reasons fans came and bought tickets to see the game was because of Steve (I'm sure as hell it wasnt to see Kelvin Cato or Kenny Thomas). I think Houston owes SF3 that much (a chance to let him make a roster spot) <----Is that too much to ask for? I'll admit, this answer might sound a bit biased, cause growing up, Steve Francis made quite an impression in my child hood, and I'm sure there are other SF3 fans out there who feel that a shot at making a roster spot wouldn't be too much to ask for.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I really wish that they would cut him, swallow the contract, and pay the league minimum to a guy like Wafer or Strawberry who is young and might actually have some kind of a future in the NBA.

Steve Francis is history...

4. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

You have to listen to the Morey a little closer. He said all summer Steve Francis is still a "asset" to this team. Meaning he has till the trade deadline to prove he can contribute something meaningful to this team. Like 2.6 million dollars worth of meaningful contributions, or his contract is another chip on the poker table. Morey is looking forward to somebody being ready to blow there team up. Bring in some young players with long min contacts and expiring contracts like Steves. Hes got till the deadline. Anybody who doesn't want to see Steve get a ring, well, I don't hold you in very high regards.

5. kwng

kwng Member

He is having a cold only so let him rest a while. He'll make it to the team.

6. v_sunny

v_sunny Member

;)
    ;)

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I feel so sorry for Steve, because he hasl always had a big heart and he especially loves Houston. But right now looks like he's not ready yet. As I said, I like him but there is no space for him, he will be out out of shape at the beggining so it may be tough.

We should move him, move him simply for nothing to a team where he could get some playing time.

8. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Send him to Miami for a 2nd rounder. They need guard help, we need cap space.

Even if he were in perfect condition health-wise, I just don't see how he helps our team. The 2nd string PG needs to be a fast, penetrating PG who is a good shooter. Francis is none of those things at this point in his career. I'm not saying Brooks is all of those things, but he at least has upside. Francis' upside is on the downside.

9. Humer

Humer Member

I'd love to see Stevie succeed, but I just don't think it's going to happen. Too many miles on him and getting up there in years so he doesn't recover as easily as the younger ones.

I'd love to move him to make way for some of the hungrier talent, but I don't see that happening for a while. My best guess is we'll hold on to Steve till mid-season - till the trading deadline. At that point we'll see what teams are underachieving and wanting to blow up there teams and want to take on an expiring contract. Until then the Franchise will be on our roster.

-Humer

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Really? All that guaranteed money, how could you not?

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

i actually kinda missed bobby sura...he was a good player imo...now francis...sigh

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

let him recover and see how it goes.
    This is not any other player we are talking about, this is SF3, the franchise.

Well he may not be the player he once was, but i rather have a player that had plays his best years for a team and the team returns that loyalty by letting his contract expired.

Its not like SF3 is making a huge hole in the team by holding a place in the team. We are talking about DJ Strawberry and Von Wafer here. Young kids who will be lucky to get a min contract from any team. They are young with possible huge upside, or they just played their best ball in their life during the preseason. Do not forget that, one is the 2nd last pick of the draft, while the other cant get minutes from 3 teams.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I view most folx Hating on SF3
    as
    The Fan Equivalent of Snotty Quitten

He quit on the team . . and haters quit on players
    no difference

Rocket River

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

DITTO, he is a waste of a roster space and I have no faith that he will contribute this season. meanwhile, we have raw untapped talent that we are forced to jettison because of Francis' veteran status and local folk hero Rocket savior.

15. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly.
    I have already stated last season that Francis was done. He would pick up his extension, and one final paycheck from the Rockets, and probably never see the floor again. Maybe one final bow out toward the end of the season if we miss the playoffs.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Either keep him see what happens or trade him to a team with a lil cap room for a 2nd pick.

We cant cut him he still counts against the cap because he under contract so that wont help the luxuary tax situation. Teams that want to drop salary dont want him he dosent make enough to try to drop salary.

17. woiwei

woiwei New Member

once franchise forever franchise in my heart

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

What does that have to do with Steve right now? He is a shell of the player he once was and cannot stay healthy. We are stuck with him, so we might as well try to make it work or trade him for pennies on the dollar

19. weidong082004

weidong082004 Member

Abandoning SF3 for keeping DJ or VON or HEAD? Not only You should feel soory, but also going to the hell. I think Yao should ask for cutting his salary himself for keeping SF3 in the team.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Let him ride out his last year and see what happens.