1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legler: Rockets best in West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by desi tmac91, Oct 9, 2008.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Ok, then if thats what you mean by "close", then Scola is "close" to Gasol. I personally don't think a 14-10 center playing decent defense is "close" to a 20-10 center that demands doubleteams and has been doing it for 2-3 years, but then thats just a semantic argument.

Gasol is definately going to be the #1 post option. Kobe is definately going to be the #1 peremiter option. So, I suppose he could surpass Odom in terms of options... or he could not.

See, this is what I'm talking about, basing arguments on assumptions.

What if Yao has another 25 point season (like he had 2 years ago)? Then, when you compare him to a 14-10 center there is no way you can say they are "close".

2. 58potato

58potato Member

Hey guys, you forget another key point, RA vs Jackson.(playoff season history)
    there is a common saying"the loser almost win for next time" :eek:

so ~~~~

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Again, I think you're very concerned with the per-game points/rebounds stats. If think you're inflating the value of those numbers. Amongst players who played at least 1000 minutes last year, Bynum was first in overall scoring efficiency (65.9 TS%) and fifth in rebound percentage (19.6%). Those numbers are very important too, but you lose sight of that when you try to sum up Bynum as a "14/10 center playing decent defense".

I don't think this discussion is going anywhere. Let's focus on how the Rockets will be compared to the rest of the elite teams in the West. This Yao vs Bynum stuff is turning off topic.

4. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I say 14/10 center because its easier to say (and I don't have to look any statistics up).

While Scoring efficiency is nice, generally someone that is among the leaders in scoring efficiency are because they don't take a lot of shots, or they are a superstar that gets to the line and makes those shots at a good percentage or shoots threes at a good percentage. Your superstars in the top 15 include Amare, Nash, Billups, Howard, Gasol, Kevin Martin and Manu Ginobli. But then you have guys like Josh Childress, Jose Calderon, Biedrins, Chandler, Perkins, Mike Miller, Mikki Moore.... also in the top 15. And I would say Bynum falls into the later category (not to say that he's as good as Mikki Moore, he was a role player last year is all).

And that statistic + knowledge of what he's doing in games really points more towards the fact that he's an efficient role player rather than a go to guy.

I don't think this discussion is going anywhere. Let's focus on how the Rockets will be compared to the rest of the elite teams in the West. This Yao vs Bynum stuff is turning off topic.[/QUOTE]

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

For some reason, every time I see the title I see "Ledger" as in Heath Ledger. :confused:

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You say this as if what Bynum did is fairly typical for role players. Not so.

Bynum played about 1000 minutes last season, about 29 mpg, for 35 games.

Here's the list of centers since 1980 who've played at least 900 minutes in a season and averaged at least 9 FGA per 36 minutes, ranked by their TS%:

source
    Code:
    [B]     yr     player      FGA     FGA(adj)   TS%[/B]
    1    82    Gilmore     10.8     10.4       70.2%
    2    81    Gilmore     10.4      9.4       69.9%
    3    86    Dawkins     13.2     12.2       68.0%
    4    85    Gilmore     11.2     10.4       68.0%
    5    84    Gilmore      9.8      8.8       67.5%
    6    83    Gilmore     11.4     10.6       66.8%
    7    86    Johnson     11.3     10.4       66.7%
    8    86    Gilmore     10.3      9.5       66.1%
    9    08    Bynum       10.6     10.6       65.9%
    10   80    Gilmore     11.8     11.1       64.3%

I added a FGA(adj) column to adjust for difference in pace. It's not common for a center who takes as many shots as Bynum does to have such a high TS%. In fact, last time it's happened was way back in the 85-86 season -- it's unprecedented in this era. So, let's not be too quick in dismissing it.

7. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

U have way too much time on your hands i also have some cool charts :eek:

ROCKETS LAKERS
    rafe > fisher
    tmac > kobe
    ron > odem
    scola > pau
    yao > bynum

Dynamo > Galaxy
    texans > radiers or rams
    astros > dogers

and most importanly

H-TOWN > TINSELTOWN

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Yao had a BIG advantage over Bynum on offense in the past, mainly because he was able to over power Bynum on the post, but Bynum's length has clearly bothered him during their previous match-ups, Yao scored mainly by either backing down, or catching & shoot from 17ft out. Yao is still a far better offensive player, but he will have a HARDER time to score against a stronger & more experience Bynum now. Don't forget that Bynum is a better rebounder and arguably a better defensive player right now, so Yao's advantage over Bynum is not as big as you think.

As for Gasol, it's a toss-up if they happened to guard each up. Gasol has abused Yao on offense repeatedly before, I think he is the toughest match for Yao in this league. He has a range extended to the area where Yao cannot go over, then he can drive by Yao like the wind, and the guy is very active around the basket, which makes it very hard for Yao to defend. The only advantage Yao has is the strength, but Gasol is too mobile & skilled for Yao to over power him. Plus, the Lakers use their big man more at the elbow & up to set up the offense, and they moves a lot, which makes it even harder for the slow-footed Yao to guard.

9. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Fair enough, your table proves that Bynum is a better than average role player, which I don't deny. Whenever someone brings up a rediculously high FG% (or TS% in your case) as evidence for "this guy is a great offensive player". I always say the same thing. If he's making his shots at that big a clip, why doesn't he take more of them? The obvious logical answer is that he wouldn't be able to make all those shots at the same clip. And then we come back to the obvious difference between Yao and Bynum. Yao gets doubled and Bynum doesn't. If Bynums beating you, you aren't going to come off of Kobe or Gasol (probably not Odom either) to stop Bynum.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Truth is the Rockets are the 3rd best team inthe west but the Lakers arent one of the teams who are better. Pay attention to the Hornets they are for real. They are a dangerous team that can attack every weakness of the Rockets with speed in the backcourt ouside shooters and running big men. Also dont forget the Spurs. They may look done right now but pay attention to them in March and April. If they go on a run then and they are healthy they are a dangerous threat.

11. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

hornets? young and good who will be lucky to be 9th or 8th place...

12. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Fixed it for you!

13. earth

earth Rookie

Please check the history record, it's Yao who dominates Bynum in any game when they both stay in court. Let's have a look at in 2009, if Bynum becomes better or not.

You, a naive Faker fan, ;)

14. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Bynum has improved out of sught. the way he is going he will pass yao within the next 2 years.

15. tangwentao

tangwentao Member

how can you think kobe is much better than t-mac. what is your reason, kobe got nba champions and t-mac not?

16. thametall89

thametall89 Member

I think this talk about Bynum being close to Yao is ridiculous. In Bynum you have a guy that even when he was healthy last season was only averaging 13 and 10 while Yao has shown to be a consistent 20,10 guy. Also, Bynum is coming off major knee surgery and that has to have some effect on him during this season.

17. tangwentao

tangwentao Member

buddy, what a thoroughful analysis. i can't agree with you more. before artest comes to us, i will not show disagreement if anybody says that Lakers is better than Rockets. artest, what a fantastic player. his join of course will make the edge come to us. in fact, i have confidence that Rocket will go to the finals though i am not so confident as whether Rockets can get champion or not.

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

u got to b kidding me. hornets r a top 3 team in the western conference and top 5 in the league. watch out for portland and miami. they will make some noise. houston, la, noh in west not necessarily in that order.

19. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

this is funny....i had a brain fart. i was think charlotte bobcats not new orleans.....

20. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

sorry to tell this but Yao is done