1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was McCain Right About That Projector?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

If there's one rule in election-year politics, it's this: Don't mess with the science crowd. OK, labor unions and the NRA matter too, but John McCain may want to brush up on his stars and planets after Tuesday night's debate.

In the debate, McCain portrayed Barack Obama as an excessive spender, and he punctuated his attack (twice) with this example:
    Turns out, a lot of people think we do. This is no ordinary overhead projector from your 5th grade classroom. The blog Cosmic Variance sums it up:

The science community is notoriously tight-knit, especially when rallying to a cause, and boy are they are rallying to this one. Alan Boyle's Cosmic Log has a great summary of the uproar:

-"For McCain to use this as a political zinger is insulting..." (Bad Astronomy)

-"Planetariums are Bridges to the Future, and America would be a much better place if all the congressional earmarks went to projects like them." (The Perfect Silence)

-"The logo for Senator John McCain's campaign has a star in the middle. I wonder what his guide star is? It can't be the same one that ten million children have seen at the Adler Planetarium. Why should anyone want their star to dim?" (Discovery Space)

The Adler Planetarium even issued a statement, noting that the request, ironically, was not even funded:

Linking a planetarium to national security may be a bit of a stretch, but the point is clear: McCain probably shouldn't count on the "science vote" this year.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Back in my day we used to go outside to look at stars and we liked it! :)

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd agree federal money shouldn't pay for capital projects at Adler, however cool it might be. But, I know scientists do like their federal money.

4. LScolaDominates

People who care about science weren't going to vote for a ticket with an avowed creationist, anyways.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL

You had stars??? You got to go outside??? We had foil we put on the walls in the room . . .and we liked it!!

Rocket River
    *d*ngit* we LOVE IT!

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not trying to be a jerk
    but
    What project deserve Fed Money?
    I mean science projects

IMO - the benefit of every project is not going to show up on a balance sheet
    i.e. this brought in xxx amount of dollars

Question: I know it is unfair . . but which would you prefer . .Fed Money
    on Planetarium or Chicago Symphony or Chicago Art Gallery

Rocket River

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I still agree that the money shouldn't be from an earmark.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I totally agree, I am disgusted that the bailout package ended up with tons of pork in it.

Just fricken pass a bill without tossing in riders for crying out loud.

DD

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Not a supporter of young archers? ;)

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I know things like education and academic research aren't going to show enough of an immediate return to warrant public funding according to all you supercapitalists out there, but take a look at the other developed countries in the world. You'll find our research funding and educational performance during the Bush presidency extremely lacking in comparison, and these things usually correlate to avg. salaries in the work force. The developed countries create new job markets through R&D, and funding of research is vital towards persuading our best minds into applying themselves for the good of society rather than just their own monetary gain. I guess I'm now part of the "science" vote (medicine), so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If they are going to spend money on making progress, I would rather have them make direct investments in R&D projects for energy than a space projector.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He's cited two earmarks that he considers ridiculous:

* this planetarium project, a true maverick of science education for the public
    and
    * the Montana project collecting DNA samples from bears. This project quickly led to the discovery that grizzlies are much more plentiful than we expected, opening the door to loosening some otherwise very tight environmental regulations in the area.

I'm not saying either is worth pork money, if anything is worth pork money at all, but McCain has shown an anti-science stance that I had not seen before. I can only imagine Palin's stance. (Literally, I can only imagine it.)

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Pork is Pork, Doesn't matter if comes with bright shining stars.

14. B-Bob

(ahem). In case that's in any way related to my post, my point was not that some pork is more worthy than other pork.

No, my point is, out of millions of federal earmark projects, he went after two that were strongly related to science or science education.

15. IROC it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S70gwFcSK9k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S70gwFcSK9k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. IROC it

Hey, B-Bob, McCain also was against, and stopped, bad military deals...

Perhaps by your logic this means he's strongly against the military?

17. B-Bob

good point! :eek:
    :D

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Mmmmmmmmmmm......PORK!

19. IROC it

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day... :D

20. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

While I think there are areas, especially with science, where there should be federal funding, I think all of the areas you listed should be funded by donors, the City of Chicago, and possible the State of Illinois.