1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimy trends

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by edc, Mar 20, 2002.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

Last night on Sporting News Radio Network, the host mentioned two "givens" about our new manager:

(1) He has the "fastest hook in the west."

(2) He likes to manipulate the order of the lineup *a lot*.

Any thoughts? Assuming both of these trends continue, it could be death for this squad. I trust the starters 1000% more than the middle-relievers, and the players (especially with Bagwell and Biggio as anchors) thrive on consistency. Heaven help the manager that tries to pull Bags out of the three spot.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The quick hook *might* actually come in handy a bit with our young pitchers, as it is a danger to have them pitch too much at such an early age. There is a high risk of them blowing out their arm. However, I have heard horror stories about some of Williams quick hooks in Boston that made absolutely NO sense whatsoever. So who knows.

Hopefully, he can leave the lineup alone. I think that is one of the main reasons Daryle Ward has not absolutely torn up pitchers at the plate since he has been with the Astros. He has never gone for an extended period of time where he was a starter (I don't believe). I think consistent ABs for Ward will result in him giving the kind of production we all think he is capable of, and hope for. But if Williams makes a "Manager's Decision" and screws with the lineup, it could cause huge problems.

I think the best thing for the Astros would be for them to get out to a quick start. This way, they could show Jim(m)ah early that what we have is what works, and maybe he will be less likely to play with it.

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

A lot of the bad press Jimy has gotten about that stuff has to do with the insane amount of injuries he had to deal with in Boston. Nomar, Manny, Valentin, Everett, Varitek, Pedro, etc all kept getting hurt.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Top Jimmy's tuff.
    Top Jimmy swings.
    Top Jimmy, he's the King.........
    Oh Jimmy!

5. haven

haven Member

I'm just waiting for him to platoon Jeff Bagwell...

...Williams maintains good discipline, but he's psychotic. I had to read about his craziness every day in the Globe for 3 years... and now I'll have to read about it in the Chroncile.

Go away Jimmy! Coach the Twins or something next time!