1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why no hate for a former Spur?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Aug 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Like I said, its not a shame to me, but I can understand some people's concern.

To me its not a shame, because I think black people have bigger issues to deal with, and secondly I agree that black kids can compete if they want to. black kids don't play baseball, they don't like it and unfortuantely, its becoming a game that takes some financial stability which is pricing a lot of poor kids of all races out of baseball. and I hate that some sports guys make it seem like sports in general is the only way for some of the kids to improve themselves, or that baseball needs black player in general.

I didn't insult you, I said that you made a ridiculous leap of logic, and it was. I believe the op was saying this tounge and cheek. I also said you are smart enough to not take the comment to this level.

lastly, i get upset about this subject because before the white boy power squad, I saw a lot of people get upset about the issue of black players in baseball, on the astros, that some people cared about black people on the team. and then, someone makes up the white boy power squad, and no one has anything to say. I'm sure there are alot of white guys who probably would like to see more white players in professional basketball and there a lot who don't, and I wouldn't care if they did. but don't act like this is only a subject that goes one way.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Mario Elie was a spur. I would still take a bullet for him

1 star

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carl Herrera
    Maxwell
    Horry
    Kevin Willis

its the retirement home before the retirement home for ex-Rockets.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but your boy maxwell hated the spurs because they sold him

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh please stop fooling yourself gabriel.

You run around every thread you see just waiting to pounce on anything even remotely questionable pertaining toward African Americans even if it has nothing to with race.

You play the race card quicker than Ginobili flails his body in the air with minimal contact.

You claim you don't care and then you quickly develop a hypothesis that because nobody found the "white boy power squad" (it actually was the white boy super squad) to be offensive that nobody cares enough about black players. The WBSS was a joke because we had role players who happened to be white and play in the NBA (which is a not too common if you notice). If we had role players who all happened to be Vegetarian Monks, I'm sure they would have lumped them together too.

How about an example in the opposite?

A few years back the Minnesota Twins had an all African-American outfield with Torii Hunter, Jacques Jones and Shannon Stewart... They were lovingly called "The Soul Patrol" by Manager Rod Gardenhire and everyone thought it was funny.

I thought it was weird that the OP mentioned "white" as well, but I think its just a novelty thing.

Lets ask Another Brother if he goes to Astros games now that they have Michael Bourne.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I never said I don't care about race. I said I don't care if white people like to have white players on the team. WBSS or whatever it was of course was a joke, but just like the OP's comment on Brent Barry, there is a little truth in it.

I'll say this, if there were three black guys in the outfield of the astros and someone called them something refering to their race, I guarantee that some people would be up and arms over a double standard.

7. LoveRoxHateJazz

I referred to them as the White Flight Crew. When I read white boy power squad, I thought it sounded a little close to white power squad.

Every NBA team needs a token white guy.

8. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Because Brent Barry will never be known as a Spur, His prime was not during the Spurs, he just got his rings there.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's all about 'what have you done for me lately?'.

Bobert wHorry gets no love from me until he retires or becomes a Rocket again. Same thing for Sam.

I HATE the Spurs, but Brent is one of us now.

F-ing spurs.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think I get what the OP meant now. He/she was basically saying that white players are typically team-oriented players which is pretty much true. Presently, there aren't many white players that dominate games with their athleticism. The meaning had nothing to do with the fact that he "isn't black". It was just pointing out the reality of most white players in the league. He/she wasn't saying that being white was a positive attribute in and of itself but rather that, like most white players in the NBA, Barry is a team player. This says nothing about black people but instead simply points out a common characteristic among white players and that Barry is the epitome of this group. If anything, it could have been worded differently. On first read, it just sounded wrong.

11. LoveRoxHateJazz

I like reading your posts that don't hate on the Rockets' guards, but now you are reaching.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well with the rox, he focused that anger every time we played them.

After he left the spurs, he said he hated popovich.

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I usually dislike the Spurs. But I do have to say that they have proven themselves over and over again. They went out and beat the Lakers and defending Champs Pistons that year to win titles. It does aggrevate me that some people put a question mark on our two Championships where as most only put one around the Spurs which was their 99 run.
    I have no hate for Barry mostly because of the family ties. The Rockets usually pick it up a notch when we get a Barry on our team. This year should be no exception. The three brothers have definitely produced on this team and have a great basketball IQ. We could definitely use players like that. They also have some great heart. Something we've been lacking since the last Barry and Sura. Now we have Artest, Barry and Dorsey... if that doesn't light a fuse of confidence and fire of determination in TMac, I don't know what else we can do for him. When Ellie left for the Spurs I wasn't too mad at him because both parties were ready to part ways. If I am not mistaken we were going to send him away for Damon Stoudamire that year. Things went sour and the media basically through it out there and it left a sour taste in Ellie's mouth. I understand why it would have sucked for him.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I see no reason to hate Barry just because he was formerly a Spur. If he was a dirty player that used to play for the Spurs, that would be a different story. Barry is about as classy as they come in this league. I am nothing but happy for him to be a Rocket next season.

15. Nero

Nero Member

I will always love the Spurs because they had D-Rob, and Hakeem *humiliated* Mr. MVP on his home floor in the playoffs. Plus, they also gave us TMac's '13 Points'.

And Scola..

How can you not love a team that gives us such gifts?

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

F the spurs and the city they dwell in

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Ditto...
    <br>
    Its exactly the same, especially the part about Shaq
    I CANNOT STAND SHAQ!!!!!!!!!
    <br>
    Don't hate the lakers though....

18. Dei

Dei Member

No, no. Your message is peace and your post was worded really gently, but it only promotes a stereotypical way of thinking.

Sorry, but I don't waste my time making my post palatable to everyone. If something said without explicit malice can be interpreted both ways, why would you go bother yourself with the negative connotation? Besides, race is such a worn-out topic, I'd thought we were all above that now.

Rick Barry is Jon and Brent's father.

Brent's cool. Really nice how he congratulated Jon when we went up 2-0 against Dallas, at the road. I was happy he continued the Barry tradition in Houston, but something in my guts feels like it's being turned upside down whenever I think he used to be with the Spurs.

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Cuz he is a Rocket now.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

~50% of the time
    race card = term used to swiftly dismiss any discussion on race issues, no matter how pertinent.

Those words are much more annoying than any "white guy" reference made in this thread.