1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Minutes for Collier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by enbehay, Mar 9, 2002.

1. enbehay

enbehay Member

Since the Rockets' season is down the drain, I hope we play Jason Collier more. He did reasonably well in his brief stint against the Warriors so additional PT might prove beneficial. Although he looked pretty mechanical, he seemed to be getting into the flow of the game -- much more so than Cato. Did anybody see that shot he blocked? The officials called a foul, but it looked pretty clean to me. Thoughts?

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

IF we are trying to tank then by all means play Collier. But if we're trying to get better (win) then leave him on the pine.

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I say play him. He's got another year or two on his contract & we need to find out if he can play the position or not. With Cato's lack of motivation rearing it's ugly head again, Collier can't be any worse & he at least pretends that he wants to play.

Besides, if we decide to keep Cato for his defensive presence, Collier could offer the perfect compliment, with his offensive presence. Thus, giving Rudy more mismatch options.

4. enbehay

enbehay Member

How can we evaluate Collier as a player if we don't play him? We need to a) see whether he can be a player and b) showcase him to secure a trade because he currently has little or no trade value. This would not be an atempt to tank, just an attempt at player development without penalty.

5. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

AGREED!!

Let's give him some significant PT over last 20 games or so; let's see what he can bring. Cato doesn't look like the answer; he's regressing.

What have we got to lose...he he he he:D

Dallas Rocket

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ill give up Collier for that last pick in the second round.

7. enbehay

enbehay Member

No, I think I'd rather have Collier than Uche Okafor (Draftnet's last pick in second round). Collier had eight points in limited time compared to Cato's two. The Griffin got better with PT, Morris got better with PT, Thomas got better with PT.....let's see what Collier can do as a starter and closer. As Dallas Rocket said, "What have we got to lose?"

8. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

I agree, give Collier playing time.

If we end up tanking, we may improve our draft posture.

If he helps us, I think having someone to replace Cato in the lineup would be a good thing. The only remaining problem would be finding a place for Cato.

Even if he doesn't help us, we need to know about Collier just to refine our offseason strategy.

Now is the time to develop/evaluate current players, against regular NBA talent, not during the summer leagues.

Finally, I think if we draft someone and they make the roster. I think it is better to allow players to fail then sit on the bench and disappear.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't know about Jason Collier getting more PT but I'm all for Mrs. Collier getting more camera time.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Collier does not fit on this team. The only way he will be a succesful player in the NBA is as a player who is set up by other players (i.e. standing 15 feet away from the basket waiting for his man to double then hitting his little jump shot), and it is quite obvious noone on our team does anything more than one or one.

My point is simple, why play someone who will not be succesful. Thankfully we were essentially able to get EG with the additional pick we got for him. I hated drafting him in the 1st place and it's obvious to me he will not be even a average player on this team.

Under duifferent circumstances (if we passed the ball) he could be of some use (i.e. a role player), but in our offense he is not useful, and like most young big men who do not have great verticals, he is a below averagfe defensive player as well.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Collier is slow but it might be useful to give him more minutes to see if he can contribute to the team.Getting 8 points is not too bad,if he doesn't do well enough then we will have to put up with him for another year before letting him go.

12. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Play the man- we have absolutely nothing to lose. What if became our 7' 0" Sabonis?? Good shooter, versatile, and good passer.

13. enbehay

enbehay Member

And there it is -- if we passed the ball -- and ran the fast break rather than play dribble-dribble-crossover-palm-dribble-dribble. Collier might be very effective if we passed the ball because he can shoot from out to the 3-point line. If Collier can rebound as well as Cato and fire a pass upcourt to start a fast break, then we may have a solid center.

14. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

this from Clutch's recap:

maybe bill worrell was working on a career "high"???

[​IMG]

and yes, more minutes for Jason....go JC!

15. enbehay

enbehay Member

Worrell corrected himself by saying it was the first time Collier scored 6 points in 4 minutes. However, I'm being charitable because I don't think he was familiar with Collier's stats.

16. Sane

Sane Member

I don't see how playing Collier could possibly be anything but beneficial. If he plays, Steve's assists will go up, Collier will be able to prve his worth as well as giving us an option to maybe trade both our picks instead of get backup C.

I don't think Willis will wanna stay. He's going to go to a contender(top 4). Maybe Milwaukee.