1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the preseason matter?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JayZ750, Mar 8, 2002.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've never heard of a study that does any sort of statistical correlation, but for some dumb reason, it always worries me when the Rockets, Astros, etc, do real well in the preseason. Does anyone else get worried, or am I alone here?

For some reason it makes me think if they win too much (is that possible?) in the preseason they will screw up when the regulard season starts. The Astros are playing great Spring Training baseball. I hope its a sign of good things to come in the regular season and not just the other teams being a few days behind in warming up for the season.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i have noticed, from year to year...that when the astros don't tear it up in spring training, they do better than when they win more games than anyone else!! kinda weird. i don't think there's a science to it, though

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I'd have to say yes, in regards to establishing confidence. We went into spring training this year, with a solid pitching rotation & some quality bullpen depth as well, compared to last year. Berkman & Dotel came into their own last year & for the most part, we have the same regular lineup, with the exception of Alou & Castilla. Jason Lane has been playing well. My only real concerns are at SS & third base. If one of Everett/Lugo & Truby/Ensberg can nail down the SS/3rd base spots, we'll be a solid team.