1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics - China using underage girls?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SageHare6, Aug 10, 2008.

1. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

The Chinese girls did great, but a few of the looked like they still had some baby teeth. 16 years old....no way....did they beat the US.....of course

They should just get rid of the age limit.

2. longhornchampno

That's by far your best argument in this thread, Sam. You really know how to give a response when you have no answer to a question. Like I have said, you have never failed to amaze me.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And that's why I am undefeated on the internet vs. the Dragon.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Actually, all college football coaches have a secret budget for illegal drugs. You don't remember all the headlines during the 80's? Joe Paterno arrested for distribution of a controlled substance. Jimmy Johnson indicted in steroid scandal.

5. longhornchampno

Say it to yourself 10000 times and you might eventually be able to convince yourself that it is really true. :)

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That was nothing - Beijing Normal University was roided out of their skulls when they defeated Shanghai in the 1989 Lotus Bowl. 8 foot tall, 456-pound defensive lineman Li "Tiny" Wang's blood test was found to have the highest concentration of HGH and Stanzolol ever found in a human being. The Tiananmen square crackdown was really just a dianabol-crazed army unit looking to let off steam.

7. longhornchampno

Making irrational posts --> so no one would bother to answer ---> so he would be the last one to make a post ---> therefore he can see himself as the winner

The usual ladder of Sam to exit a debate. :)

8. CometsWin

First, you should familiarize yourself with the East German teams of the 70's and 80's. A whole generation of athletes tricked into taking "vitamins" that were really steroids. Any time government is involved, especially one like China's where civil rights are a pretty low priority, you can bet the interests of the child will be outweighed by the goals of the government and that's when abuses happen.

9. longhornchampno

Thanks for the explanation. But you have missed my point. We have been talking about steroid problem in swimming and college football. What does pocking young athletes for training have anything to do with it?

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ya' know... in 10 years or so that smallest girl from the Chinese team will be able to drink alcohol in the US.

And her baby teeth will be long gone, too.

11. CometsWin

The only steroids problem in swimming that I've ever heard of was the East Germans which is why I mentioned them. Steroid in college football aren't sanctioned by football coaches or universities. They don't pay for them and they certainly don't pass them out as you seem to insinuate.

A Communist goverment selecting and training three year olds is dangerous for the future of those children.

12. almostReady

almostReady Member

:D this makes me laugh, in a good way.

13. longhornchampno

I can see you are working very hard to argue that the situation was not institutional and systematic. But I have to say you are very naive to think that the coaching staffs were not involved. How did a 19 years old college freshman had access to steroid anyway?

14. danny317

danny317 Member

imho, after watching the womens team gynastics finals last night, id have to agree w/ bela karoli.

those chinese girls looked no older than 8 - 12 yrs old. their team captain looked 14.

unless they all have a form of dwarfism, i dont see how those girls could be 16. (im asian btw)

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How does a 14 year old have access to cocaine? Although coaching staffs may or may not be involved, the age and class of a college student is not an argument that helps prove the point.

16. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

umm, lots of players in high school even do steroids

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I'm not the one to judge, but this Karolyi guy seems to have sore loser mentality.

quote:
    Karolyi said there seemed to have been some gamesmanship during Sacramone’s vault. She said Sacramone had been held up for an “out of the ordinary” amount of time — not by judges, but by event organizers.

“It’s a psychological war out there,” Karolyi said.

Then again, the coverage was interrupted by Swimming coverage, so I don't know what to make of it.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I don't think the US team should be looking for any excuses, and I don't even think this age issue is much of one even if it were valid.

That said, those Chinese girls looked really, really young. The little one looked like she was 7 or 8 years old. There is certainly no way she's up to 16 -- unless the Chinese have invented some magic youth potion that we don't know about.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey if you have to cheat to win.......I guess that makes it ok.

;)

DD

20. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Karolyi is one of those super competitive coaches that will say/do/imply anything to give an advantage to his "favored" team. I don't think controversy in and of itself was his aim. I think seeing the Chinese get all this attention about being the favorites and basically cheapening any supposed gold they'd get was his aim.

Think about it. Why doesn't Karolyi go back in time and say something to the effect that: "if we didn't have those 14 year olds, we wouldn't have won. we weren't really deserving of the gold had we gone by the rules of today."

Nope. Too humbling for a man like him.

theSAGE