1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with Cato?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

His performance & minutes have dropped the last 4 games. Is he hurt or in Rudy's doghouse?

The game before last night's, against the Lakers, he only played 15 minutes & 17 minutes the night before. I heard Bill Worrell make a comment, when Cato was replaced with Willis, that "Rudy had to get someone in there that wanted to compete".

Then in the second half of last night's game, when Cato aggresively went for a rebound in the corner, Murphy made the comment that, "that's the first spark he'd seen in him all night".

Am I reading too much into this, or has Cato's intensity dropped for some reason? With the trade deadline past, is he reverting back to the Cato that we've all come to love & hate? Maybe, he's pissed that Walt is back. :D Can anyone give me an explanation that makes sense? As much as I've voiced my dislike for him, I really was hoping that he'd turned the corner. But now, I'm not so sure anymore.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

an explanation that made alot of sense to me was that the trade deadline has passed. it seems since then he hasn't done anything.

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Actually, he played quite well for about 3 games after the deadline had passed. So, that's when I really started thinking he had turned the corner. Maybe, he didn't realize that the deadline had passed.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Yeah, he survived and feels safe now, relaxes his guard. Back to skating..........

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I think his effort has been fine the minutes he's been in there - RT just isn't giving him much pt after the 1st quarter. Perhaps it is all the other way around - perhaps RT and CD were shopping him prior to the trade deadline and could find no takers in the end. One thing is for sure, the more minutes Cato gets in a game the better his overall play is. Another thing, last nite our team D significantly went down after Cato was taken out and that's when Toronto made their first big run to build the halftime lead.

*as always, IMHO - pls do your own due diligence!*

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd say trade deadline. He probably told himself, as the deadline passed, "Ok Kelvin this wasn't just about not getting traded. You're a new man now and a damn good player! You just got to keep showing it!" That lasted him a good 3 games before he got tired of it and said, "Why am I working so hard? I have 57 more years on my contract!"

My hope with Cato (since I've given up hope he could be traded) is that he can play well in playoff contention. He's obviously the sort of person who can play well for short stretches when motivated. Getting contracts, avoiding trades to suckier teams, and the like are good motivations. Hopefully, a legit shot at a ring is good motivation too. We'll just have to put up with some bad ball in the meantime.

I think it's the other way around: the worse his overall play is, the fewer minutes he is accorded. Of course, that flies in the face of the theory that Rudy can't make personnel decisions based on the flow of the game.

7. Evil Beaver

Evil Beaver Member

Cato is lazy.

I told you we should have traded him while he still had some value.

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I overheard Get Darius Rice saying that it was because he stopped roiding up

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I thought he played okay last night. No offense, but he played tough when he was in there.

10. knifejc

knifejc Member

Well he needs to hurry up and do something not only is he hurting the Rockets he's also hurting my Fantasy team :mad:

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He IS back now.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Cato's playing on a sore ankle. Give him a break. He said he could've been out for the season, and he played.

13. Francis3

Francis3 Member

LOL! You guys are all comedians.

14. harumph

harumph Member

If this is true (not saying your wrong), then Cato really HAS turned the corner. The "old" Cato would never play when injured; he never even played when fit.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

K. Cato C 36 2-4 0-0 2-2 4 10 0 2 7 0 3 6

36 min
    10 boards
    2 steals
    7 blocks :eek:
    6 points

IMO he really is trying this year, although even I'd wonder where he went these past few games. But a great line for Cato here.

-LTF

16. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Cato played with fire in his ass tonight.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I hope that doesn't put him on the injured list.:D

Seriously, his effort was excellent later in the game.
    Unfortunately, nobody seems to want to try in the first quarter:mad:

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

LOL :D

Exactly what we were saying tonight. 4 quarters of intense basketball is what it takes to win a game. For the majority of the season it has been 1,2, or 3 quarters.

Has anyone else seen how bad offensive rebounds have been killing us lately (on both ends of the floor)?

19. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Kudos to Cato. Judging from the Spurs line, he and Eddie intimidated Robinson to go 4-12, but everyone else on their team did ok. What happened to Steve Francis' shooting tonight?

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He had another migraine.
    Also, he couldn't finish with the two shot blockers inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.