1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AI for Battier, Alston and expiring contracts trade rumors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by persian hoopa, Jul 29, 2008.

1. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

For his age, his durability is amazing, but it would be a freak of nature for him not to start losing a step and having increasing injury problems right about now.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm all for adding talent to the team, but not at the cost of ditching a couple starters from a very successful team for a one-year roll of the dice. And as I said, I freely admit that purely as a fan I just like the players of this current team far more than I do AI, even though he has gotten better recently.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

While I tend to agree, and posted about it very early in this thread......I think that the point has been made, and if the Mods felt the same way, they would merge it.

DD

3. lastmanstanding

Dude shut up already. If you don't like this thread, quit posting in it.

4. Tornadoofsoul6

Hell, there are a lot of links that are just speculations, ESPN barely even sorts through anything that they put in their rumor sections; it's just a collection of other links that come from other links etc. etc. It's possible that they were discussing something that would deal Iverson to Houston, but it didn't come to part; Hell, it could still even happen. There are legitimate sources out there.

5. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

your right there are legitamate ones, but he heard from 2 people , no link nothing, a rumors when be when someone people are talking about it outside of clutchfans, just hear say, if i write my buddy said landry is signing for 4 mil a year is that worhty of a thread cause my buddy told me... come on now!

6. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

I don't know if this has legs or not but I don't personally care for it. If we have to give up two of our starters for an aging AI; thats to much. Especially when its two players at positions that we have NO depth in.

Now having said that, AI for expiring contacts and a draft pick......HELL YES! :D

7. CRJames14

CRJames14 Member

i'm not going through 17 pages to catch up on all this...

But why would the nuggets do this deal? Battier is a 3, obviously. They have Carmelo, and just traded for Balkman (a defensive 3). Also Kleiza can play a three. Adding Battier does nothing for this team.

They do need a starting PG so Alston makes sense. I just don't see this happening.

What does our starting lineup look like then?
    AI
    Luther Head......
    Tracy
    Scola
    Yao

Anyways...in Morey I trust, so if it happens...cool, if not... im still happy.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're annoying as hell.

9. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

My 2 cents:

for those that don't think AI fits into adelman's offense: consider that bibby is basically a shooter/scorer. he's not a ball handler, not a playmaker, he's there to shoot. this offense doesn't need a pass first point guard, it needs a guy who can make shots.

for those that are scared of defending w/o battier: this was a top 5 defensive squad before battier was brought in. the team will defend with or without shane. find me 10 teams that would start battier over their current small forward. it's tougher than I thought it would be.

REMEMBER: anytime a star is traded, the team that gets the bigger star is almost always hands down the winner of that trade.

KG > Al Jefferson + misguided youth
    T-Mac > Steve Francis plus 2 role players
    Barkley >>>> Jeff Hornacek and whoever the hell else Philly got
    Barkely > still greater than Horry and Cassell (as much as I liked both)
    Pippen (as much as I dislike him) > greater than Cato and Walt Williams
    Drexler >>>>> Otis Thorpe and whatever else we gave up
    AI > what did Philly actually get for Iverson????

in NBA trades, quality almost always trumps quantity.

I've never been a big AI fan, but respect his game. I just don't see how the Rockets could say no to this deal.

#329 rwienert, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. Breaker

Breaker Member

People were b****ing when we traded for Rafer and Battier, and now they don't want to give him up for a legit superstar? Amazing...

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Whats funny is how many of us board members remember what people quote as "rumors". He will always be known as Iversons cream rag if this thing doesnt have any legs under it.

12. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Be nice, he's my fam.

13. TheMountainTop

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This trade is bogus. I dont want to trade with the butt nuggets.

We dont want another "and 1" chump on our team. We already have Steve Francis.

This would make the Rockets like the nuggets.

God Please No don't let this trade happen.

This trade will make the Rockets like the Clippers. They would suck for life!

14. Breaker

Breaker Member

You're annoying too. Guess it runs in the family.

I request a ban on the poster with three number in their names, that posted in this thread today. PLEASE!

15. yellaman

yellaman Member

Dude, that would be the dumbest trade in recent rockets history. AI is a good individual player, but he cannot play d, he's not as good of a defensive player as battier or alston, and commands the ball. Defense wins championships, not offense.....just look at the nuggets, high scoring offense, swept out of the playoffs. If the rockets trade battier, who is going to D-up on kobe/lebron/wade/ginobili/dirk/peja/whoever else, certainly not tmac!!

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're just as annoying, but I didn't care to dig through 20 pages to quote your post.

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

It is suspicious that Donte Greene changed his number to #10 today. Maybe we're making a trade and the player wants #5? Since Francis already has #3, maybe it's Iverson...?

[​IMG]

18. yellaman

yellaman Member

Your right, but this is a rockets team that is top 3 in defense, and won 55 games. Why take away 2 key players, and replace them with one?? Alston can give you 13 ppg, battier can give you 10-12...thats 25 pts, same as what iverson might give you, plus battier and alston are better defensive players, plus there is also one thing that iverson cant bring, and thats the chemistry this team had when they won 22 in a row....resign landry and lets hope for better health with this same group of players.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Interesting observation...

5 Josh Smith (FA) F 6-9 235 12/05/1985 Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, VA)

20. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

I would hate to give up both Shane and Rafer for AI, but for money reasons I can understand having to give both of them up. Rafer would be great as a backup. Losing Shane would be hard because I don't see Barry as a starter who can even play starters minutes at his age. Does this mean that Luther gets to start now, that's scary. The only way this works is if Steve can come back healthy, otherwise we need another small forward. Unless they think that Novak has arrived or Green is ready as a rookie.

At least if it doesn't work, A.I.'s contract is just for one season and we are still up for the free agents in 09/10.