1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Motor Vehicle] Fatality Rates by Race/Ethnicity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JJae, Jul 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Some things to consider.

"Safe" drivers are usually considered bad drivers. Because they never do anything "amazing", and always take the safer route when faced with decisions.

My mom is a case in point. She's slow, safe, and does not affect other drivers because her speed is always proportional to which lane she drives in. She rarely changes lanes, and usually stops almost fully on right turns, etc. Never get into accident. Never get honked at.

I feel I'm a better driver than her, in the sense that if we need to rush to somewhere, I can do it a lot better than her. But my style of driving is more conducive to accidents.

As for Asians, they are singled out because they have very little idea of general rules on the street. Similar to old drivers or those talking on cell phones while driving. They may not get into accidents themselves, but can be dangerous for others around them because they don't drive in the "expected way".

2. rz04

rz04 Member

Didn't that happen 2 years ago?

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I don't buy this. A good driver is not necessarily a safe driver and vice versa.

If you are driving at 40mph on the fast lane on the highway, nothing can happen to you, but you will cause accidents becase you will congest the roads. You will make it necessary for faster drivers to operate on slower lines, which creates problems for all the drivers on your right.

If you break overzealously, you will be most likely to get hit from behind, meaning it's probably not your fault. But your overzealousness with brakes creates a problem for everyone behind you.

Safe driving and good driving are two different things. The goal is to achieve both.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think the best driver is a defensive driver. A safe driver just keeps to him/her self. But a defensive driver actively prevents accidents. That is the reason why insurance companies penalize non guilty parties in the event of an accident. That safe driver was following the rules, but he/she wasn't being defensive enough.