1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How hard is it to walk-on at a university?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dafranchise0309, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. But look at it realistically from the school's perspective. Why do they offer scholarships anyway? To get kids to go there. So if you're already there and paying your own way, why should they give you a scholarship when they could use it to get some other kid to go there? If you become a valuable part of the team, then they might give you one for your junior or senior year (and maybe a partial one at that) as some kind of reward. And by that point, you would have already spent more money in those 2 or 3 years than you would have if you had paid for all 4 or 5 years at an in state school. It's a long shot that they'd give you money anyway. Don't bank on that.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

HGH is not really testable. It is not about taking an easy way out. There is a lot of competition for a few slots. You can assume a lot of these guys work hard etc. What is going to separate you from the rest.

Of course you shouldn't do drugs, but that is probably the mindset of some guys.

3. dafranchise0309

I've competed for spots many times and the times where I did get the spot it was not because I injected HGH in my rear end but because I was a harder worker, more determined, and better fit for the job.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

There are no partial scholarships in D-1 football or basketball. Whether you get $1 or a full ride, you count as 1 scholarship towards the 85 limitation (I only know FBS). I think FCS is limited to 65 scholarships. I don't know D-2 and I know D-3 doesn't give out any scholarships.

#44 Smokey, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

It happens all the time. Some coaches are a lot more giving than others. From my experience, winning coaches - especially those brought in to turn a program around - would rather spend a scholarship on a freshman recruit rather than giving it to a walk on. Then again, some will award scholarships for making any sort of meaningful contribution on game days. At my school, the rule is generally any walk on who makes it onto the two-deep rotation or is a starter on special teams will earn a scholarship. But any "starter" on special teams can be easily replaced in most instances so that is not a sure way to get one.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, I would just apply to the best academic schools possible, since you're putting education over football. Secondly, out of all the schools that you get into, pick the one that you're comfortable going to, but also with a really weak football team (Duke, etc). If you're serious about playing football at D1 level, you may consider a few things. You're only 17 years old, so you can still get faster/bigger...or maybe even both. If you can get faster, I'd stay at the CB position. If not, then just work out a little and move to free safety. 4.6 is actually fast enough for a CB at the college level, especially at weaker schools. You'll get burned from time to time, but if you have good instincts and quickness, you should be fine. I would just gain a few pounds first.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Don't listen to any of the people telling you to take HGH and stuff. That's ignorant. If you're a hard worker and a good player your best bet is to make a name for yourself at a JUCO. Don't go for a major university right off the bat. If you make an impact, have the grades and could get your 40 time down then you never know. Good luck

8. dafranchise0309

Yeah I know I really need to get bigger and faster. I have a trainer that will help me with that over the time I am not playing this year. After reading all these opinons I think that I will look at schools like UTSA that school is one of my top 3 picks as of now, new football program hopefully they are up by 2009 and my brother attended there so I am somewhat familar to the school. Texas State and SHSU are also schools that I will look into,although I mentioned having academics of athletics I don't think I would get accepted at schools like Duke, UT-Austin, and other top 25 schools. Thanks for all the advice