1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Late Night with....Jimmy Fallon?!?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 12, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Actually...

[​IMG]

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/07/fallons_late_night_to_get_web.php

Fallon's 'Late Night' to Get Web Tryout

By Josef Adalian

Jimmy Fallon's new NBC late-night show will debut on the Internet before it premieres on TV.

Executive producer Lorne Michaels told reporters Sunday that he plans to "do the show on the Internet (first) so we can experiment." He plans five or six months of webcasts prior to the 2009 debut of Mr. Fallon's version of "Late Night."

Mr. Michaels said his experience launching "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" taught him how hard it can be to launch a new late-night host. Premiering on the Web presumably will allow Mr. Fallon to work the kinks out before he ends up on TV.

What's more, Mr. Michaels said, the webcasts could "help define what the show looks like" by allowing Mr. Fallon to more broadly experiment with different kinds of comedy. "It will let Jimmy do stuff you don't normally find on television," Mr. Michaels said.

Mr. Michaels also said he hopes the younger audience that finds the show on the Internet will then make the move to TV with Mr. Fallon.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

In 1993, Lorne hired an absolute unknown who had the foresight to drop the irreverence for irreverence's sake, while putting together a great band, hiring an actual sidekick to ease in the back and forth, and cobbling together a brilliant writing staff (featuring Louis CK and Robert Smigel).

Does anyone see Jimmy Fallon having the smarts or know-how to pull ANY of this off?

I saw the guy do standup back in college because it was a three dollar ticket and I had nothing to do on a Tuesday night. Three years later, I bartended a standup gig of Fallon's. 80 percent of the material was the same. At least.

4. LeoneWestern

LeoneWestern Rookie

Then why has he been hosting the biggest talk show for almost 20 yrs? Clearly you're just the minority over the other fence on this one!!!

5. KellyDwyer

It's been 16 years. And he's been at the top of the ratings since 1995.

And since then, Hootie and the Blowfish have probably had the most popular album of any American band, sales-wise.

And American Idol is this country's best-rated TV show.

And McDonald's is this country's most popular restaurant.

And your point is?

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't know why but the "Late" shows seem funnier to me. I used to skip Leno and Letterman to watch Conan and Craig Kilborn. I think there is just more freedom. I think when comparing the two Late Night with Conan will be better than The Tonight show with Conan. All of his semi-unscripted humor and suggestive jokes will be cut because its more of a family friendly show.

I kinda wish they would just put Fallon on the Tonight show so Conan doesn't have to tone himself down.

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

This is ridiculous! I don't know why they chose HIM, everyone knows he's not funny. His only supporters are girls who think he's cute. Eughh....

Why can't the Euros just take him like they did with all our NBA trash.

8. LeoneWestern

LeoneWestern Rookie

My point is with one opinion i have with another poster... He/she saying that he is the worst talk show of all time when clearly he's been doing this profession for more than 10+ years.... If you don't like it, then don't watch it, and don't talk junk about someone when you can't back it up with references...

9. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

That's what I'm afraid they're going to do with Conan. The guy is a genius and frikkin hilarious. By far my favorite late night talk show host. He's skill of going of a tangent with guests is amazing, unlike Jay Leno where his stuff is all scripted.

As for Fallen, he's not funny whatsoever. Not going to watch Late Night once Conan leaves

10. KellyDwyer

I breezed through the post without reading and didn't take in the "worst" part. My apologies. That was an opinion post, dealing in absolutes, that you were responding to.

That said, I still stick by my point that ratings success having nothing to do with the overall quality of the show. Just comparing Leno today with even the dregs of the Arsenio-era Carson show is depressing. Every so often they pop up on YouTube. One's clever and witty and funny and COOL, the other is the place where the guests on E! News head to after their 3:30 interviews.

11. University Blue

They need to give Kathy Griffith (or is it Griffin) her own late-night show -- she is the funniest off-the-cuff comic today. Too bad "The View" didn't pick Kathy for one of their hosts.

12. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

:confused: :confused: please be joking?

13. University Blue

No way, if we can get tickets, we're going to see KG at the Verizon later this year.

14. trea

trea Contributing Member

I think Ferguson is fully as hell. Fallon...not so much.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that my television would explode due to the ridiculous level of mind-numbing celebrity idolatry. It seems to me that her entire act is nothing but bad-mouthing people that she and the audience do not know.

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

*pukes*

jimmy fallon is to me as hugh is to colbert.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I agree. Ferguson is the ONLY late show that I watch and the only host that I find truly funny. The guy is just so at ease even when he goes off on a tangent, which he does every time he talks. But that is what separates him from the rest.

18. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I give Fallon 2 seasons before he gets replaced.

19. bucket

bucket Member

Jimmy Fallon...

when you can't get Will Ferrell.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I can't think of a female comic I hate worse. And she's even suckier since her ugly cosmetic surgery. She looks like the joker.